The Student Room Group

I am split between Judaism and Christianity

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
on a technical point: Jesus was never ****ing... he was celibate right up until his murder ?

what about his wife?
Original post by JeremyOU
what about his wife?

maybe you are thinking of Mohammed ? Our Lord was a lifelong bachelor.
Reply 22
on a technical point: Jesus was never ****ing... he was celibate right up until his murder ?
Murder? He was tried by a religious court, found guilty of blasphemy, then passed to the occupying Roman authorities for execution, who didn't much fancy doing so until the crowd demanded it (probably because the Daily Mail had been dishing the dirt on him and whipped up a public frenzy).

The religious authorities demanded a death sentence and the public supported it, so the Romans got on with it.

Doesn't read like a murder.

no I mean Mary Magdalene.
Original post by Simes
Murder? He was tried by a religious court, found guilty of blasphemy, then passed to the occupying Roman authorities for execution, who didn't much fancy doing so until the crowd demanded it (probably because the Daily Mail had been dishing the dirt on him and whipped up a public frenzy).

The religious authorities demanded a death sentence and the public supported it, so the Romans got on with it.

PRSOM. :frown:
Reply 25
maybe you are thinking of Cliff Richard ?
Original post by Simes
I think you mis-spelled 'indoctrination'.

More PRSOM. Stop making rep-worthy posts, you. xD
Original post by Simes

hmmmm... since Our Lord was actually God, the Perfect Being, He was incapable of committing any crime. Thus the trial was a travesty and his death was equivalent to murder.
It comes down to one question, do you believe Jesus is the son of God? Jesus was crucified so that we can be forgiven of our sins and will not be punished for them. Before the time of Jesus, people would have to offer sacrifices to earn God's forgiveness, such as a lamb, or God would punish people for their sins (the story of Noah's Ark, Cain and Abel etc.). When Christians (including myself) sin, we can simply ask for forgiveness. How many modern Christians do you see offering sheep up to God to ask for forgiveness?

If Jesus was not the messiah, then why are people nowadays not punished for their sins? The point I'm making is that Jesus is the reason each person on this Earth can be forgiven of their sins and not be punished by God. If you believe that Jesus did not exist or that he was not the son of God, how can you explain why sinners in the present day can be redeemed of their sins by asking God, whereas people before Christ had to endure punishments or offer sacrifices for forgiveness?

Original post by Anonymous1502
For a while I feel like something is missing I feel like I can't speak to God anymore I feel so lost.For a while, Judaism has been fascinating me I kind of want to convert however maybe I just want a new beginning I feel like I can no longer speak sincerely to God.I do not know what to do I was raised Catholic, but I don't want to be Catholic because many are homophobic and sexist (not all but some) also the news keeps making the catholic church look bad.I am against smoking and alcohol, but I don't want to be Muslim because it is not a religion that interests me.Am I coming to an age where I have lost my identity and maybe religion will help me find myself again?Should I just look for a different type of Christianity or do what? I don't know whether I believe or not I believe in Jesus, I never thought about it.I guess being raised Catholic I just accepted it and did not think about it.
no I mean Mary Magdalene.

if you wish to use Dan Brown as a scriptural resource then that is your decision. Please do not expect me to share your enthusiasm.
Reply 30
hmmmm... since Our Lord was actually God, the Perfect Being, He was incapable of committing any crime. Thus the trial was a travesty and his death was equivalent to murder.
If so, God is dead and the OP's original question is moot.
if you wish to use Dan Brown as a scriptural resource then that is your decision. Please do not expect me to share your enthusiasm.

who is Dan Brown?

No I am referring to ancient manuscripts, and leading scholars.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/jesus-married-mary-magdalene-and-had-children-according-to-ancient-manuscript-9849839.html

hmmm they are certainly leading.... leading you into error.
Original post by Simes
If so, God is dead and the OP's original question is moot.

no god lives in heaven, only his earthly form was killed.
how stupid can you be? god is immortal, gods are always immortal.:u:
hmmm they are certainly leading.... leading you into error.

lol:smile:
Original post by Smashby25
It comes down to one question, do you believe Jesus is the son of God? Jesus was crucified so that we can be forgiven of our sins and will not be punished for them. Before the time of Jesus, people would have to offer sacrifices to earn God's forgiveness, such as a lamb, or God would punish people for their sins (the story of Noah's Ark, Cain and Abel etc.). When Christians (including myself) sin, we can simply ask for forgiveness. How many modern Christians do you see offering sheep up to God to ask for forgiveness?

If Jesus was not the messiah, then why are people nowadays not punished for their sins? The point I'm making is that Jesus is the reason each person on this Earth can be forgiven of their sins and not be punished by God. If you believe that Jesus did not exist or that he was not the son of God, how can you explain why sinners in the present day can be redeemed of their sins by asking God, whereas people before Christ had to endure punishments or offer sacrifices for forgiveness?

There we go; crossed out everything that isn't naked proselytisation. :tongue: Good point with the first sentence though. That's a question that needs to be asked, rather than pursuing a religion because you like the rituals or share the same opinion on certain issues as some of its practitioners.
(edited 8 years ago)
how stupid can you be? god is immortal, gods are always immortal.:u:

Certainly not stupid enough to make the underlined assertions as if they are indisputable fact. I thought students of Law were supposed to be good at arguing without ad hominems. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
So it wasn't murder then. That's more like deleting his avatar.

how stupid can you be?
"Two things are infinite, the universe and the capacity for human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" - might have been Einstein, might have been me.

god is immortal, gods are always immortal.:u:
Then why are they so touchy about blasphemy? "Sticks and stones can't break my bones, but say bad words and I'll smite thee."
Reply 38
Original post by Hydeman
There we go; crossed out everything that isn't naked proselytisation. :tongue: Good point with the first sentence though. That's a question that needs to be asked, rather than pursuing a religion because you like the rituals or share the same opinion on certain issues as some of its practitioners.
"You have already rated a post by this user recently!"
Reply 39
As you mentioned Reform Judaism, I can help you out

Converting to Judaism is quite a commitment. It's not a matter of going to synagogue or temple once in a while and calling that your religion, ideally it's changing your whole way of life. Whether that is accepting all halakha (Jewish law) as binding upon yourself or reinterpreting and reinvigorating Jewish traditions with modernity and modern ideals, as liberal Jews do, it is still more than simply attending a service on occasion.

A Reform conversion can usually take one to three years, depending on the rabbi/temple. A conversion class will teach you the basics of Judaism: its history, prayers, etc. It will challenge you, but hopefully in a good way. It will prepare you to make a life commitment to this religion and people.

There are many types of Reform Jews and synagogues. Some lean far to the left and some lean to the right. There are some who will almost never wear a kippah and some who lay tefillin every day. Some keep kosher and others do not. Overall, however, the Reform Movement is often considered the most inclusive of the major denominations and is very focused on social justice. You really need to think through everything to make a decision

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending