The Student Room Group

Why is it a bad thing for a girl to know how HOT she is?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by RiotGirll
What do you think is arrogant then?

Well some feminists hate things like lingerie models etc. who do it out of choice. And a lot of feminists are transphobic like Germaine Greer has been saying stuff about Caitlyn Jenner lately I think.

Also I'm white but a LOT of the feminist community is racist. I can't deal w that

You know what? At first I was sceptical of you but you are sooo right!!!! God bless you xxx I still identify myself being a feminist as a black woman but you are right feminism especially today is very one sided...
Well, because she'll proceed to run up the air conditioning bill and run electric fans all summer, whereas if you hide all the thermometers, you can save money and convince her that the heat is all just in her mind? Hehe.

But seriously, I don't think it's especially bad for a girl to brag about her beauty. Boys are as guilty, though. I've seen guys show off their "guns" and brag about how "ripped" they are more times than I care to remember. You get those kind of people in both genders, it just seems different with a guy because he'll try to make all those daily trips to the gym about "health" or a "combat training" interest rather than openly express concern with appearance.

I suppose it might seem a little vain. I mean, if all someone can talk about is their physical beauty, you wonder if there's anything more to them than the surface, or if they're trying to conceal a lack of depth by emphasising desirable surface qualities. You wonder if they're trying to draw attention away from a bad family history, a criminal record, poor temperament, etc. You start thinking, "All right, this person doesn't want anyone looking beyond the surface. What is it they don't want me to see?"
I like confident girls so thats attractive to me. Its annoying when you cant mention things going on in your life because someone else is an insecure faggot. Its like not being able to tell your friends you got a promotion because theyl hate on you rather than be happy for you.
For example, by mentioning compliments you get, taking selfies of your face or just your boobs or legs, knowing/saying you're at least a 7 or 8 out of 10, making sure photos of yourself are from the best angles and deleting "bad" ones, etc.

I hate feminism but "slut shaming" is a form of this too.

People love to call girls "attention seekers" :lol:

Not everyone dislikes this :

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3480107
Original post by RonnieRJ
Yeah exactly people feel uncomfortable when they see someone's who's confident in themselves

Its not even that. The person might be really insecure and theyre sharing a positive experience in their life. Everyone else is just so jealous and nasty theyl insult her/him for that. I try not to ascossiate with depressing people like that.
it's not a bad thing for a girl to know, it's a bad thing for a girl to show [off]
Original post by selfteaching
it's not a bad thing for a girl to know, it's a bad thing for a girl to show [off]
The same just about goes with everything for everyone - intelligence and skill for example.
Original post by Danz123
There's some truth to this statement, however alot of the time people who are very insecure and rag on themselves in front of others are fishing for compliments. That can be as annoying as arrogance tbh. Though it seems in general we do feel bad and like to boost people up when they self-deprecate, as well as take people down a peg when they talk about how hot they are. I've seen it on this forum and irl plenty of times.

I think you need to calm down and stop being so judgemental tbh.
Original post by ChickenMadness
I think you need to calm down and stop being so judgemental tbh.

I'm not being judgmental, just stating how people seem to react on TSR and in general when faced with those who self-deprecate vs. those who seem to come across as arrogant (though they may not be).
Original post by S-man10
Narcissism

She thinks shes too important to make a sandwich

Cringe.

Because what you are describing is narcissism. There's a difference between knowing that you are hot and feeling the need to take pictures of yourself every 5 minutes to show the world.
For some reason (entrenched classical Christian morality?), modesty is considered an attractive trait so "hot" girls who don't go on about how "hot" they are, are modest and thus attractive.

Ofc, one can both know that she is "hot" and still keep a modest attitude. But maybe it happens that most people, once they know they're hot, are not going to be modest about it. So perhaps it's a rare combination to be both hot and modest :dontknow:
Reply 52
In the last 5 years I've taken two selfies, both are embarrassing but oh well. The question is, why do you feel the need to show off what you look like? The most confident girls I know don't require male or female approval. They don't take pictures of their outstanding abs. When they are in group photos, they don't stick their asses out. They'll wear a low cut top or a crop top on a night out, but I find it boring when girls just take loads of pictures of themselves. What the f**k do you want to achieve from doing that? Does a numerical amount of likes make you feel good about yourself? Same with guys and taking pictures of their physiques. I take those photos but they are for me to map progress, not social media.
The thing you mentioned about other girls talking about the compliments given by other men annoys me tbh. To me, any girl who continually talk about the compliments they receive are clearly very self absorbed but also in my opinion extremely self conscious. The fact that they have to let everyone know what others think of them and their appearance implies to me that they have extremely low self esteem, that they can't see for themselves the beauty they have/or don't have. It just grates on me because when they talk about themselves in such a way they sound so vain. Why can't girls, like myself when receiving compliments keep it to themselves and not have to reveal what was said to everyone simply for attention.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by _Charlotte15
The thing you mentioned about other girls talking about the compliments given by other men annoys me tbh. To me, any girl who continually talk about the compliments they receive are clearly very self absorbed but also in my opinion extremely self conscious. The fact that they have to let everyone know what others think of them and their appearance implies to me that they have extremely low self esteem, that they can't see for themselves the beauty they have/or don't have. It just grates on me because when they talk about themselves in such a way they sound so vain. Why can't girls, like myself when receiving compliments keep it to themselves and not have to reveal what was said to everyone simply for attention.

Maybe some have low self esteem

What's wrong with getting attention though :dontknow:

I don't know. I'm not hot but I know I'm decent/average and do stuff like this. No offence :colondollar:
For example, by mentioning compliments you get, taking selfies of your face or just your boobs or legs, knowing/saying you're at least a 7 or 8 out of 10, making sure photos of yourself are from the best angles and deleting "bad" ones, etc.

I hate feminism but "slut shaming" is a form of this too.

for

it think it's ridiculous to be honest. A girl should be allowed to say or think shes hot without being labelled as attention seekers as long as she is not too cocky about it, thats when it gets annoying. But I feel as if those girls that get irritated when a girl says she loves herself are the insecure and jealous tyles.
Reply 56
Original post by loveleest
for

it think it's ridiculous to be honest. A girl should be allowed to say or think shes hot without being labelled as attention seekers as long as she is not too cocky about it, thats when it gets annoying. But I feel as if those girls that get irritated when a girl says she loves herself are the insecure and jealous tyles.

Agreed :smile:
If she's being arrogant about it that's the problem the same way girls hate guys who are arrogant and boastful. But if she's pretty and decent, no problem there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agreed :smile:

:smile: I made the most ugliest typo at the end lol
Reply 59
Because she will be mean

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest