The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dan/Phil
If we're considering James Bond as a real person, can I put Sherlock Holmes forward?
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Tbh I shouldn't really have to provide an argument for a supposed "History student". I mean have you even studied Thatcher at all? This myth that she was a great PM, never mind a great Brit is laughable.

I am studying Thatcher, the 'myth' that she was a great PM isn't a myth; it's a fact. She may have been ruthless in her opposition to the trade unions and her monetary measures, but the post war consensus and the welfare state were slowly crippling our country and we wouldn't be anywhere near as economically powerful as we are now without her.
Clement Attlee
Ed Sheeran :biggrin:
Original post by HistoryStudent1
I am studying Thatcher, the 'myth' that she was a great PM isn't a myth; it's a fact. She may have been ruthless in her opposition to the trade unions and her monetary measures, but the post war consensus and the welfare state were slowly crippling our country and we wouldn't be anywhere near as economically powerful as we are now without her.

Firstly to the comment about economics. Lets take a look at GDP growth rates to me they seem overwelhmingly similar both before and after Thatcher. Now unemployment, on this one the rates seem higher both during and after Thatcher came to power. Now onto real wage rises, again there doesn't really seem to be much change since Thatcher took power. But of course she revolutionised the economy and made it more powerful :rolleyes:.

Secondly if Thatcher was so ruthless in cutting welfare, how come her spending levels appear to be similar to that of Blair?
Original post by Howard
Interesting. Everybody on the list is English and yet the question asks who is the greatest Briton. Surely Scotland and Wales have produced a few people that could beat Jeremy Corbyn to the list. LOL!

For the record, I think Churchill is the worst of the lot of them. An absolute disgrace. Here's a man who went to war in defence of Poland, spent the next five years bankrupting the country, and at the end of all that allowed Poland to get taken by Stalin anyway! He was one of the architects of what has now morphed into the undemocratic EU, and was a truly piss-poor peace time PM.

A trumped up little journalist that managed to get thousands killed in Gallipoli in WWI.

Churchill wasn't keen on the Soviets, it was the Americans (ironically) who failed to see the threat Stalin posed, until the Berlin Airlift

And I think I'm the greatest Briton ever, put me on the list :unimpressed:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Vicky628
If we're considering James Bond as a real person, can I put Sherlock Holmes forward?

No because James bond is meant to represent someone we don't know the name of. (the British secret agent)
but you could chose Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Reply 68
Thatcher seriously Thatcher and Blair were not the greatest their the worst, when Britain becomes a failed state ( I give it 50 years to social and economic meltdown ) people will look back and say that Thatcher and Blair's ideology was the start of the greed and idiocy that is todays politics in the UK. The political awareness/knowledge of some Brits though is beyond stupidity. I know of someone who voted for Margaret Thatcher and Ken Livingstone and thinks they were both great politicians, she probably thinks the same about Cameron and Corbyn .
Im sorry what the hell is david beckam doing on there...:s-smilie:
Original post by ikhan94
Im sorry what the hell is david beckam doing on there...:s-smilie:
He was the only person who dared to marry Posh Spice the Gorgon.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
He was the only person who dared to marry Posh Spice the Gorgon.

Is that a reason to be on the list thought? i mean did Winston Churchill marry a spice girl?
Reply 72
Churchill was great though so was Karl Marx, I would choose Walter Tull as one of the greatest also.
Reply 73
Original post by difeo
Sir Alex Ferguson

inb4 he's Scottish.
Original post by ikhan94
Is that a reason to be on the list thought? i mean did Winston Churchill marry a spice girl?
Different reasons: Churchill's on the list for being the most drunk and obese British PM.
Original post by difeo
*Briton

Great Britain is by far the better Britain. Much better than Brittany in France.

Original post by BaconandSauce
Churchill

Original post by Simes
Churchill.

A waging racist.

Original post by United1892
He was Indian.

Back when India was British.

Do we count people from ex-colonies of the British Empire as British?

They were British national overseas.

Original post by United1892
He wasnt even born in British territory.

Except he was.

Original post by Plumstone
2) James Bond is fictional, so how can he count?

So is King Arthur.

Original post by Johann von Gauss
Why no scientists? Alan Turin >> Churchill

Though Sir Winston was the reason why Dr Turing had his job.

Original post by Paul Dirac
The greatest scientist of all time.

Not Prof Albert Einstein PhD (ETH)?
Reply 76
Different reasons: Churchill's on the list for being the most drunk and obese British PM.

At least he was not into pigs.
Original post by JeremyOU
No because James bond is meant to represent someone we don't know the name of. (the British secret agent)
but you could chose Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

King Arthur is as real as Robin Hood is.
Original post by Howard

For the record, I think Churchill is the worst of the lot of them. An absolute disgrace. Here's a man who went to war in defence of Poland, spent the next five years bankrupting the country, and at the end of all that allowed Poland to get taken by Stalin anyway! He was one of the architects of what has now morphed into the undemocratic EU, and was a truly piss-poor peace time PM.

A trumped up little journalist that managed to get thousands killed in Gallipoli in WWI.

He didnt go to war in defence of pokand though. He became pm mid war and continued to hide away and pay lip service to a defensive pact like his predecedsor.
Original post by Little Toy Gun

So is King Arthur.

Ooops, I misread it as King Alfred (who was obviously real) which is why I didn't include him. My mistake...

Latest

Trending

Trending