The Student Room Group

Revision tips and motivation!

Comment the best motivation that makes you work harder and revision tips they help you study and learn! Let's all help each other :smile:
At GCSE I got 6 A*s, 4 As and 3 Bs

My entire GCSE revision consisted of making revision cards. Not even reading them, just making them. I had about 60 revision cards per subject/exam.

My motivation: I put on Friends, and my goal was to make 6 cards per episode. It worked great.

I ended up only getting Bs in the subjects that I didn't revise for at all (English lit and lang because I didn't know how to revise English, and Graphic Design, because we weren't taught any theory at all for the exam).
Original post by JustJusty
At GCSE I got 6 A*s, 4 As and 3 Bs

My entire GCSE revision consisted of making revision cards. Not even reading them, just making them. I had about 60 revision cards per subject/exam.

My motivation: I put on Friends, and my goal was to make 6 cards per episode. It worked great.

I ended up only getting Bs in the subjects that I didn't revise for at all (English lit and lang because I didn't know how to revise English, and Graphic Design, because we weren't taught any theory at all for the exam).

But what did you learn from just writing the notes, i've always got told it's pointless writing out notes because it doesn't help you and it isn't an effective method of revision?
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
But what did you learn from just writing the notes, i've always got told it's pointless writing out notes because it doesn't help you and it isn't an effective method of revision?

Why not? Writing out notes is the only effective method of revision for me and many others. It's unfair to say that it's pointless for everyone.

It also depends on how you write out your notes. If you just sit there in a zombie state of mind copying each word then sure, it may not be too helpful. Actually writing out notes as part of revision is more than that - you reword, abbreviate, look up extra information online and basically re-learn everything.
Motivation: Have a goal e.g. a good quality of life, enjoyable job, not constantly worrying about finances, etc. This way you know what you are working for. Also, you will know that if you worked hard today it can literally change your life. Know that you won't have to do this forever!

Revision Tip: Draw pictures rather than a lot of words, and use different colours to make the most important parts stand out. You can also get highlighters to do this. Also abbreviate your words to make your notes shorter, but make sure you know what you're writing. You can also reduce until you got all relevant information on a few flashcards. Do lots of past exam papers and if there are some questions where you didn't get correct answers, notes those questions and answers down so that you understand how to answer them the next time you get a similar question. Finally, teach other people or talk to yourself! You might seem a bit weird but it does the trick.Sorry this was so long!

GOOD LUCK!!!:smile:
Motivation ~ food, generally

Revision tips ~ make notes and do as many past papers as you can bear to
I work well with music, but not many people do
My motivation is the fear that if I don't work hard now, I won't have these essential things (in my opinion) in my future:

1) Food
2) Water
3) Big House
4) Nice car
5) A smart, caring and beautiful wife :love:
imagine yourself in 5 to 10 years. where do you wanna be? how will you get there?

Quick Reply

Latest