The Student Room Group

Do you believe in ghosts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ZZTop1
Uncertain nothing proves or disproves this issue for me i like to stay open minded
Not too open minded, or your brains will fall out.

Mmmm.

Brainzzz

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Does Ghost Pig have a superpower, or is he just, well, you know, ghostly? Like kind of a pale pig??

no the ghost pig has superpowers :afraid:

Spoiler

Original post by Skeptique
Why? if energy cannot be destroyed then life-force has to move on to somewhere, right? Why cant there be beings made from sub atomic particles as we are mad out of atomic particles?

As someone looking to study Biology, this really made me cringe.

What are you defining as 'life-force'?? Because there is really no such thing (that is observable to scientists, anyway). When you die your matter is decomposed and recycled back into the food web. If you choose to be buried, that is. If you are cremated then your matter undergoes combustion and is basically turned into smoke and other products. It's really superfluous to introduce a 'life-force' when Biology makes sense without one and we can't detect one.

As for your second point, as far as I know (and I am no expert), sub atomic particles are not really matter, and could not form any kind of matter themselves, let alone a life form. Saying we are made of atoms is a bit reductionist, it's not untrue, but it ignores the context that those atoms have to be arranged into vast molecules and cells and tissues and organs before you have anything resembling a human.
I don't know if I believe in ghosts, per se, but I believe in something. A quote I like is:
"According to Einstein, all the energy in the universe is constant, which means that it can neither be created nor destroyed… Then what happens to our energy when we die? Since it cannot be destroyed, then it is transformed into another kind of energy. What can this form of energy be?"
Admittedly, it's something that was said in a ghost hunting book, but Einstein's theory about energy does makes me wonder. About ghosts and about the afterlife in general. I don't think any of us can fully know whether any aspects of the supernatural are or are not real, so I'd rather remain open minded about it. That doesn't mean I'm someone who is insistent that ghosts do definitely exist, but I don't exactly want to rule it out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by pizzad0gs
"According to Einstein, all the energy in the universe is constant, which means that it can neither be created nor destroyed… Then what happens to our energy when we die? Since it cannot be destroyed, then it is transformed into another kind of energy. What can this form of energy be?"
Admittedly, it's something that was said in a ghost hunting book,
Good point. Einstein only had two *******s, that book will be full of them!
Original post by pizzad0gs
I don't know if I believe in ghosts, per se, but I believe in something. A quote I like is:
Admittedly, it's something that was said in a ghost hunting book, but Einstein's theory about energy does makes me wonder. About ghosts and about the afterlife in general. I don't think any of us can fully know whether any aspects of the supernatural are or are not real, so I'd rather remain open minded about it. That doesn't mean I'm someone who is insistent that ghosts do definitely exist, but I don't exactly want to rule it out.

This would be an interesting read http://www.askamathematician.com/2012/11/q-if-energy-is-neither-created-nor-destroyed-what-happens-to-the-energy-within-our-bodies-and-brains-when-we-die/ :smile:
Original post by Simes
Good point. Einstein only had two *******s, that book will be full of them!

It kind of is :wink: but hey it was interesting to read, for the most part

Hey thanks, I'll read it in a bit! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
No I don't believe in ghosts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do people keep on talking about energy but displaying little to no understanding about what it means in science? Einstein would be rolling in his grave if he knew his theories were being used to even suggest the existence of ghosts.

Energy isn't some mysterious life source. It's a quantifiable measure, measured in Joules. You can literally put a number to it. When we die, our potential energy (sugars etc.) is taken in by bacteria and such. That's it. What other energy are people here talking about? The electrical signals that make us tick? Because those just stop when we die, since the cause of them (an alive brain) is no longer active or alive. Are people referring to ATP? Because again, that is just taken in by what eats our bodies.

I don't understand how people can take an understood and measurable quantity (energy) and try to give it some kind of superstitious connotations.
Reply 49
i've a 100% belief in these things because i have experienced it. Not once but many times.
Original post by Ameera98
i've a 100% belief in these things because i have experienced it. Not once but many times.

There are a great many legitimate conditions that can cause such events, there are lots of conditions that cause hallucinations for a start

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Are you equally uncertain as to whether invisible pink unicorns exist?

If you don't think they've been disproven now, nothing will ever disprove it for you, because it will always be theoretically possible that they've just evaded everyone's notice -- because they're ghosts.

The sensible position to take is therefore that this wildly implausible and completely unexplained thing doesn't exist until someone demonstrates that it does.

For a start, as far as anyone has ever seen you cannot have sentience without matter. You need some sort of processor, somewhere, even if we're accepting that it doesn't necessarily have to be a human brain. How is it that you think ghosts might operate, in respect of that, as well as movement? Surely they need some sort of energy input to keep going -- how does that happen? Why do they come about? Is there any vaguely plausible answer for any coherently formulated question about ghosts? Any better response than 'well, one or two isolated people think they might have seen one once, even though neither they or anyone else has ever produced clear evidence of this'?

Please, TSR, come on.

Where is the evidence to them not existing. It can not be proved but there is absolutely nothing to disprove it evidence wise. If i had to get off the fence i would lean towards them not existing
Original post by ZZTop1
Where is the evidence to them not existing. It can not be proved but there is absolutely nothing to disprove it evidence wise. If i had to get off the fence i would lean towards them not existing

On the whole, a lack of evidence would imply a lack of existence, especially with strong evidence of alternative, simpler explanations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by Jammy Duel
On the whole, a lack of evidence would imply a lack of existence, especially with strong evidence of alternative, simpler explanations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Find me some evidence they do not exist.
Original post by ivy.98
There's no evidence for ghosts existing. If scientists can produce evidence about ridiculously tiny and rare subatomic particles, they'd have found some evidence of ghosts.Besides, there's also no evidence of a "soul" that would create a ghost. The human brain is an electrochemical meat computer, not magic.

I never said anywhere that evidence existed, I asked a question. I dont know where you've been hiding the past year but "evidence about ridiculously tiny and rare subatomic particles" has been found - Its what the whole CERN thing is all about. Higgs, Nobel Prize, Boson, Hadron Collider, ring any bells?

http://home.cern/topics/higgs-boson
Original post by BritishBean
As someone looking to study Biology, this really made me cringe.
What are ...

As for ...

What are ...
Whatever force/s keeping you alive (including electromagnetic energy in the brain which you did not account for) conspire to force life over death so they comprise 'life-forces'. Please read (Original post by pizzad0gs) for a better understanding of what I meant.
As for ..
How do you know all life forms have to be material?
Original post by ZZTop1
Find me some evidence they do not exist.

Prove to me invisible flying unicorns that **** rainbows don't exist. It cannot be proved absolutely, but can beyond reasonable doubt, given that I have not yet heard of any supernatural event that could not be explained by sound science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never said anywhere that evidence existed, I asked a question. I dont know where you've been hiding the past year but "evidence about ridiculously tiny and rare subatomic particles" has been found - Its what the whole CERN thing is all about. Higgs, Nobel Prize, Boson, Hadron Collider, ring any bells?

Reread what they said

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ivy.98 did not say that subatomic particles don't exist.
Reply 59
Original post by Jammy Duel
Prove to me invisible flying unicorns that **** rainbows don't exist. It cannot be proved absolutely, but can beyond reasonable doubt, given that I have not yet heard of any supernatural event that could not be explained by sound science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't get angry. That is a totally different story to my knowledge anyone sane has not saw that but I will not rule it out. Where has many people have reported sightings of ghosts. I never said anything about them being real but you still decided there was a need to throw your toys out of the pram

Quick Reply

Latest