The Student Room Group

Investment Banking "Target Unis" outside UK?

Already applied to the likes of Warwick, for its recent renowned reputation of being a so called target uni in the hopes of improving my chances of getting into IB.
Just wondering if anyone is aware of any "target unis" outside the UK as there is no harm in applying, right? Been looking into some of the German Unis (as tuition is free - from what iv found anyway). I wouldn't mind learning a new language but i think tuition has to remain in English.

So anyone have any suggestions of unis outside the UK with close links with investment banks?

P.S
Im also in the process of applying to a few of the insight programmes - From what iv heard from a few of the investment bankers, these are vital for your application to even get recognised for an intern year.
-Whilst were on the subject, where shall I look for more opportunities to get a chance to complete a long/short internship at an investment bank outside UK, just so I can be sure to get as many as I can under my belt?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by A47
Already applied to the likes of Warwick, for its recent renowned reputation of being a so called target uni in the hopes of improving my chances of getting into IB.
Just wondering if anyone is aware of any "target unis" outside the UK as there is no harm in applying, right? Been looking into some of the German Unis (as tuition is free - from what iv found anyway). I wouldn't mind learning a new language but i think tuition has to remain in English.

So anyone have any suggestions of unis outside the UK with close links with investment banks?

P.S
Im also in the process of applying to a few of the insight programmes - From what iv heard from a few of the investment bankers, these are vital for your application to even get recognised for an intern year.
-Whilst were on the subject, where shall I look for more opportunities to get a chance to complete a long/short internship at an investment bank outside UK, just so I can be sure to get as many as I can under my belt?

Posted from TSR Mobile

SSE, Bocconi, St Gallen, ESSEC, ESCP, HEC, RSM, WHU etc

You won't really find any opportunities unless they are through nepotism, which is not looked favourably on might I add, so just focus on your A-levels/applying to insight days for now.

I mean, there are some opportunities but you need to be v poor (Credit Suisse has a programme called Steps to Success) or a poor, be from London and be black (Deutsch Bank has the I have a dream programme) to get into these.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
SSE, Bocconi, St Gallen, ESSEC, ESCP, HEC, RSM, WHU etc

You won't really find any opportunities unless they are through nepotism, which is not looked favourably on might I add, so just focus on your A-levels/applying to insight days for now.

I mean, there are some opportunities but you need to be v poor (Credit Suisse has a programme called Steps to Success) or a poor, be from London and be black (Deutsch Bank has the I have a dream programme) to get into these.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah cool. Any ideas on actual "target unis" outside the UK to have a look at? Perhaps in Germany or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Ah cool. Any ideas on actual "target unis" outside the UK to have a look at? Perhaps in Germany or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I literally just gave you a list lol.
Reply 5
I literally just gave you a list lol.

Omg Lool, I thought they were some banks which iv never heard of. My bad 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Omg Lool, I thought they were some banks which iv never heard of. My bad 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Critical thinking skills need some improvement bro - you could literally have googled one of them before you posted :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Critical thinking skills need some improvement bro - you could literally have googled one of them before you posted :rolleyes:

You're right, definitely. I was just being lazy and clueless 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
You're right, definitely. I was just being lazy and clueless 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd probs add Mannheim and Cologne for the German schools.

Though, the list I gave above is pretty much full of the main targets (in London) for Continental Europe. Many of them are a more expensive than the UK (as most are private) and oftentimes you'll need to be able to speak the language.

Is it just for Europe? Or do you want Asian unis as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
I'd probs add Mannheim and Cologne for the German schools.

Though, the list I gave above is pretty much full of the main targets (in London) for Continental Europe. Many of them are a more expensive than the UK (as most are private) and oftentimes you'll need to be able to speak the language.

Is it just for Europe? Or do you want Asian unis as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh I was just looking at the free state unis in Europe, so the likes of Germany, Sweden, Finland, Norway... which will also give me a good enough chance to get my foot in the door, looking to avoid the high tuition fees.

Middle east?
UAE is where I plan to transfer to eventually or even begin at. Are there ways I can improve my chances to be more employable over there - front or middle office? (other than language)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Tbh I was just looking at the free state unis in Europe, so the likes of Germany, Sweden, Finland, Norway... which will also give me a good enough chance to get my foot in the door, looking to avoid the high tuition fees.

Middle east?
UAE is where I plan to transfer to eventually or even begin at. Are there ways I can improve my chances to be more employable over there - front or middle office? (other than language)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're better of just paying for the fees mate. Like I said, a lot of these good eurpoean unis are private so you'll have to cough up a pretty penny. RSM and SSE are almost free if you're an EU/EEA citizen.

You just ask to transfer once you've been there at least a year, it's not that difficult. Alternatively, just apply to the UAE offices for your internship/grad position.

Bro, don't over complicate these things so much. Just get into a decent school and build your profile up, theorising about what could 'improve' your chances is beyong futile when you haven't even experienced the industry yet.
Reply 11
You're better of just paying for the fees mate. Like I said, a lot of these good eurpoean unis are private so you'll have to cough up a pretty penny. RSM and SSE are almost free if you're an EU/EEA citizen.

You just ask to transfer once you've been there at least a year, it's not that difficult. Alternatively, just apply to the UAE offices for your internship/grad position.

Bro, don't over complicate these things so much. Just get into a decent school and build your profile up, theorising about what could 'improve' your chances is beyong futile when you haven't even experienced the industry yet.

Cool I agree 👍

(was going to start a new discussion on this but it seems like you can help)
Computer science or a finance related bsc
Warwick will be my firm (whether it is computer science or finance and accounts)

For my other options (Birmingham, city) the Banking and finance bsc appeals the most to me (tbh the modules they cover seem more interesting than both my Warwick options)

Just to clear it up -

Option 1 -Warwick: computer science or accounts and finance
Option 2 - Birmingham: Money, Banking and Finance or computer science
Option 3- city: banking and international finance

What im trying to say is if I dont get a Warwick offer, is it better if I stick to a finance related degree? Which of Birmingham or city be the next best option?

It definitely looks like im confused but bear with me 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Cool I agree 👍

(was going to start a new discussion on this but it seems like you can help)
Computer science or a finance related bsc
Warwick will be my firm (whether it is computer science or finance and accounts)

For my other options (Birmingham, city) the Banking and finance bsc appeals the most to me (tbh the modules they cover seem more interesting than both my Warwick options)

Just to clear it up -

Option 1 -Warwick: computer science or accounts and finance
Option 2 - Birmingham: Money, Banking and Finance or computer science
Option 3- city: banking and international finance

What im trying to say is if I dont get a Warwick offer, is it better if I stick to a finance related degree? Which of Birmingham or city be the next best option?

It definitely looks like im confused but bear with me 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cass beats Birmingham for representation in the City.

Out of the options the other options, the course isn't really relevant but, that said, something like 'money, banking and finance' may show that you're at uni just to get into banking; which isn't a good impression to give. I'd just choose whichever you find more interesting, Warwick should be the ultimate aim but the others are perfectly good unis (especially Cass).
Reply 13
Cass beats Birmingham for representation in the City.

Out of the options the other options, the course isn't really relevant but, that said, something like 'money, banking and finance' may show that you're at uni just to get into banking; which isn't a good impression to give. I'd just choose whichever you find more interesting, Warwick should be the ultimate aim but the others are perfectly good unis (especially Cass).

But the MBF bsc appeals to be the most interesting to me. (both courses from Birmingham and Cass are pretty much economics and finance) Would your comment be the same for cass's banking and international finance?
Why isn't it a good impression to give may I ask?

Im really struggling with my back up choices to Warwick, which is the reason I haven't sent my ucas yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
But the MBF bsc appeals to be the most interesting to me. (both courses from Birmingham and Cass are pretty much economics and finance) Would your comment be the same for cass's banking and international finance?
Why isn't it a good impression to give may I ask?

Im really struggling with my back up choices to Warwick, which is the reason I haven't sent my ucas yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, just because it shows that you're 'overtly' comitted to just banking, or maybe it's just me being pedantic. lol The course at Cass is decent, but I was more meaning Cass has a bit of a better rep amongst people in the City. At the end of the day, the courses aren't the main priority.

They're both good courses, don't let me put you off what you've already chosen!

You've already picked put two decent unis for a backup - might chuck in Loughborough too.
Reply 15
Oh, just because it shows that you're 'overtly' comitted to just banking, or maybe it's just me being pedantic. lol The course at Cass is decent, but I was more meaning Cass has a bit of a better rep amongst people in the City. At the end of the day, the courses aren't the main priority.

They're both good courses, don't let me put you off what you've already chosen!

You've already picked put two decent unis for a backup - might chuck in Loughborough too.

Hmm.. Thers alot to think about. The thing is I wouldn't mind studying computer science (only if its at Warwick or Birmingham)
I think thats where im having the real difficulty, choosing between what course to initially apply for. I jus wish I could submit more than one personal statement
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending