The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Alexander Fleming
Reply 101
Original post by JeremyOU
I could only put 16 people on the poll, and I went for fair male/female balance, as well as a historic/newer balance.

I didn't expect so much Churchill :smile:

Ah I like your thinking. I feel like the options are a little skewed to the right though, aside from a few obvious exceptions.

I voted Florence Nightingale out of the list, but actually I'm struggling to think of one single person, as people work in such different spheres. Ideally and if I had time I'd think of one person each from medicine, politics, and so on
Original post by Murphy12
You need to actually read the book. He sees him as a hero regarding the war, but never calls him a savior, and emphasizes the various things he did wrong outside of his wartime career, which was the exact point being made.

Though far be it for me, a History A level student, to disagree.

I have read the book and you are wrong. It is at the end of the first footnote that mentions him, page 29 in my paperback edition. No idea in the hardback.

Go and check. You don't have to apologise but it would be gracious and appreciated. :biggrin:.
Surely this must be owen jones.
William Shakespeare for me. He's not on the list which shows the lack of culture on TSR and the failures of our education system rather than being any reflection on his greatness or world renown. He will still be read and talked about a thousand years from now. Sam Smith? Maybe not.

"So long as eyes can see or men can breathe, so long lives this, and this gives life to thee..."

I guess you need to have been taught to love and appreciate poetry and few have been.
your poll got ****ter down the list.

Anyway it's obviously Dev Patel.
Original post by FaisalNaeem03
I agree. But ME before Zayn Malik tho.

Okay 4 real I think Lord Aleem is the greatest British person.

you are the ****ing funniest, kid. a pure legend, no one even knows it yet .
Original post by chocolate hottie
I have read the book and you are wrong. It is at the end of the first footnote that mentions him, page 29 in my paperback edition. No idea in the hardback.

Go and check. You don't have to apologise but it would be gracious and appreciated. :biggrin:.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=l4CbmiuJe50C&q=Churchill&source=gbs_word_cloud_r&cad=5#v=snippet&q=Churchill&f=false

'Churchill, who knew nothing about finance, became Chancellor of the Exchequer'
'Churchill's budgets were only balanced by sleight of hand'
'Churchill made every possible blunder during the crisis [referring to the shameless Hoare-Leval Pact]'

There are a hundred more, but one which really proves my point;

'The British People did not doubt Churchill was the best War time Prime Minister they could have. Henceforth, they accepted him despite his faults. They expected mistakes, and he made many' and a subsequent analysis of his failure to admit responsibility for the authorization of mass bombings.

As I said, no doubt a hero of the war, but not a savior nor a great man in any other perspective.

You don't have to apologise but it would be gracious and appreciated. :biggrin:
Original post by Mal Baadshah
you are the ****ing funniest, kid. a pure legend, no one even knows it yet .

Thanks man. :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: At least you understand what I'm talking bout :smile:
Thanks man. :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: At least you understand what I'm talking bout :smile:

lool
Reply 110
Original post by Farm_Ecology
He didnt go to war in defence of pokand though. He became pm mid war and continued to hide away and pay lip service to a defensive pact like his predecedsor.

Fair enough. I stand corrected on that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 111
Original post by ikhan94
Im sorry what the hell is david beckam doing on there...:s-smilie:

David & Victoria rock!
Where's David Attenborough?!
Original post by Murphy12
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=l4CbmiuJe50C&q=Churchill&source=gbs_word_cloud_r&cad=5#v=snippet&q=Churchill&f=false

'Churchill, who knew nothing about finance, became Chancellor of the Exchequer'
'Churchill's budgets were only balanced by sleight of hand'
'Churchill made every possible blunder during the crisis [referring to the shameless Hoare-Leval Pact]'

There are a hundred more, but one which really proves my point;

'The British People did not doubt Churchill was the best War time Prime Minister they could have. Henceforth, they accepted him despite his faults. They expected mistakes, and he made many' and a subsequent analysis of his failure to admit responsibility for the authorization of mass bombings.

As I said, no doubt a hero of the war, but not a savior nor a great man in any other perspective.

You don't have to apologise but it would be gracious and appreciated. :biggrin:

Do you deny that in the first footnote on Churchill, Taylor, after briefly summarising his whole career wrote "the saviour of his country."?

I was joking about apologising but refraining from an outright lie on this matter would be welcome. :s-smilie:
King Arther was defiantly real, not sure about Robin Hood.

New character?
Reply 115
Churchill was half American, his mother was a migrant.
Reply 116
who was the greatest Briton ever?

EDIT: if your greatest Briton ever is not on the poll, just post a reply with your persons name, I will compile the results when the poll closes.

James Bond was an American ornithologist.
pathetic choices tbh
Where is Enoch Powell?
How in God's name did Adele or Sam Smith make the poll. I don't think any entertainer should be anywhere close to been compared to people who organised war efforts etc and engineered the modern ages we live in.

I don't think it's possible to name the 'greatest' Briton ever. Mainly because most important projects/events have 1 figurehead who gets immortalised in history and 1000 people behind the scenes who actually made things happen. Is the young lad who stormed the beaches of France less 'great' than the man who made a speech about doing it? Also it's impossible to decide without getting into a dick measuring competition about which is the most important field. A debate that's been going on for thousands of years with no winners in sight.

Edit: James Corbyn? Seriously? Like seriously?
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending