The Student Room Group

I am tired of being used. Advice?

I don't know how many of you know about the site Omegle but it's basically a place to meet online strangers but soon became the dwelling of pervs etc. I am 18 and lately I have been consumed with going on this site and doing things that I didn't even like or want to do to get empty compliments and feel wanted and appreciated I guess? It's sickening but hear me out- I'm not sure where all this comes from; I have a loving family- live with both my parents, volunteer at church etc. and get good grades and have dreams. I have had a bad relationship but am wise enough to know that not all guys are like that. I'm not scarred for life and have moved past that.
How do I stop?
I know this feeling of being used and dirty will prevent me from going on for a while but in a few days the cycle will continue. I hate myself for it.
Reply 1
Sounds like you are dealing with low self esteem issues and perhaps feelings of loneliness. Once you start using the Internet in a way you don't wish to and lose a bit of control its time to take a break.

Nothing wrong with having a little fun online, however, it is wrong when you realise it's affecting you in an unhealthy way and you realise that it's a problem. You should find something in the outside world to do something that makes you happy only use the Internet and sites like omegle in moderation.
Maybe get an extension from Google Chrome which allows you too block the website :smile:
What exactly do people do on there? :lolwut:
Reply 4
Logging onto these sites may be filling your life with a kind of thrill that you feel you dont have in normal everydaylife.it is 'safe' way of relating without comittment. it is good that you acknowledge how going on this site is making you feel because you know that it is not healthy for you. Do you have a group of friends to hang out with? Think about what you like to do or maybe would like to learn how to do. Be brave and join a club and meet some real people that you can build real relaationships with. if you are feeling quite vunerable see if you can speak to someone at the church you volunteer at. You are young and it is important to understand yourself before you go looking for someone to share it with. Then you wont allow just anyone and anything in your life. You have so much to look forward to as a young person, lots of opportunity just dont feel pressured to be like anyone other than yourself. xx
Reply 5
Original post by Mancini
Sounds like you are dealing with low self esteem issues and perhaps feelings of loneliness. Once you start using the Internet in a way you don't wish to and lose a bit of control its time to take a break.

Nothing wrong with having a little fun online, however, it is wrong when you realise it's affecting you in an unhealthy way and you realise that it's a problem. You should find something in the outside world to do something that makes you happy only use the Internet and sites like omegle in moderation.

This is true but I feel like I'm doing as much external stuff as I can. I volunteer and go to the gym and study etc. But I can't be doing something all the time- it's in those moments I find myself caught up in it.
Reply 6
Original post by caseus
Logging onto these sites may be filling your life with a kind of thrill that you feel you dont have in normal everydaylife.it is 'safe' way of relating without comittment. it is good that you acknowledge how going on this site is making you feel because you know that it is not healthy for you. Do you have a group of friends to hang out with? Think about what you like to do or maybe would like to learn how to do. Be brave and join a club and meet some real people that you can build real relaationships with. if you are feeling quite vunerable see if you can speak to someone at the church you volunteer at. You are young and it is important to understand yourself before you go looking for someone to share it with. Then you wont allow just anyone and anything in your life. You have so much to look forward to as a young person, lots of opportunity just dont feel pressured to be like anyone other than yourself. xx

Thank-you so much. This is exactly it. My parents are strict so even though I have friends I'm not allowed to meet up with them and I think Omegle has made it easier to feel excited and thrilled in my isolation. But I will try to work on my real friendships.
Reply 7
Original post by FaisalNaeem03
Maybe get an extension from Google Chrome which allows you too block the website :smile:

Tried it :/
Original post by Anonymous
Tried it :/

Do you keep on unblocking it?
Reply 9
Strict parents love you but dont know how much their reins make you unhappy. Do your parents know your friends? Can you invite one or two round for lunch/dinner so they can get to know them. Maybe that will make them feel more comfortable. At your age you should be starting to feel more independent as you will have to start making and following through on decisons you make for your own life. Living at home does have its restrictions so be respectful of your parents but I hope you do go out with your mates - cinema, sports, shopping. Getting out of the house helps you to feel alive and you dont have to have money. Look up free things to do in your home town and be creative. day courses - photography, skill learning, museums depends ehat you are in to. I advise you, as I had to do the same as a young person and I slowly 'took' my freedom by not asking if I, could but telling my parent I was going here and cmoing back at this time. I didnt give too much info but just enough for her to know I was safe and that she could contact me. Your self-esteem will depend on it!
You're also using the people on omegle to get attention. Works both ways.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending