The Student Room Group

Is a 5 day work week reasonable in your opinion?

7 days per week.. 5 days at worl two off to do what you want. Is this reasonable? Don't you think it should be half and half?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Nothing to complain about imo - better than 6 days work with Sunday off which is what my ancestors had to put up with.

Best pattern I've had was where you started at 8 & then finished early at 1PM on Friday... in the summer I could drive to scotland and still put my tent up in the light & have a decent weekend of it.

TBH I'd probably get bored with too much free time and frustrated that people were ballsing up everything at work while I wasn't there - leaving me a load of their half cocked crap to deal with.
It's not that unusual for my mum to do 6 days a week. 5 days a week is fine imo. You still have 2 days to do stuff.
i work 6 days a week sometimes 7 i find it's ok.
Our arrangement is 10 hour days Monday-Thursday then a short day on Friday. I prefer it.
Yes it's reasonable. You don't HAVE to work 5 days a week, you can take a part-time or casual contract job(s) and work whatever you want.

If you want to afford to do what you want on your days off and holidays though it's better to go full time.
Yeah I love spending more time at work than with my loved ones, it's what life is all about.
If you work 8 hour days? Yeah, because you still have evenings to do what you need to do.

But if you work 16 hours from the time you get up to the time you go to bed? Then you should only work two or three days a week.

I guess it's up to you. Do you really want to work all day long for a couple of days to get everything done for the week in two days or so, or would you rather spread it out over the week and go to work every day?

If you worked on Saturday and Sunday, you could probably get away with a 6-hour workday rather than an 8-hour workday. Some would prefer that. It really depends on your priorities.
(edited 8 years ago)
No

Productivity isn't just about creating wealth in the form of money, it also about freeing humans. Well it can be, or it can be about creating an army of slaves giving more and more money/time to a privileged few.

Original post by Viva Emptiness
Yeah I love spending more time at work than with my loved ones, it's what life is all about.

Do you believe it would be possible to work less?

Or are you not being sarcastic? I can't always tell :indiff:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fun fact: My mum used to audit Hawking's finances :tongue:
I personally think that it should be 4 days work, 3 days rest. I think that's the perfect balance, especially if you work hard/long hours on those 4 days.
Original post by Joinedup
Nothing to complain about imo - better than 6 days work with Sunday off which is what my ancestors had to put up with.

YE, they fought tooth and nail for that and more time off. What do you think they would think of our passivity to comments like "we should work more like the Chinese" from our rulers now?
i don't get why people want to work so few hours? i think the problem is with the nature/type of work and what is expected. Majority of people hate their job, that's a given. We need to make work more fulfilling not shorten the days.

If you worked at facebook or google, you would love it! Great pay, excellent facilities etc
Most jobs are pointless things that are made up just to create work and wealth. And on top of that, most people spend half of their time at their pointless jobs just avoiding work (thanks, internet!).

I think it would be great if everybody worked less. As little as possible, in fact.
I believe so.
A 9 day fortnight is the best compromise that I've come across ....
Original post by Bill_Gates
i work 6 days a week sometimes 7 i find it's ok.

:eek: what do you work as
Reply 16
Original post by Viva Emptiness

168 hours in a week
40 hours work
56 hours sleep

=72

72 > 40
Yes it is.
Reply 18
Original post by Frodokins
I personally think that it should be 4 days work, 3 days rest. I think that's the perfect balance, especially if you work hard/long hours on those 4 days.

Yeah I agree with this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by difeo
168 hours in a week
40 hours work
56 hours sleep

=72

72 > 40

Wow u got me I guess I love my five day week now.

Quick Reply

Latest