The Student Room Group

Is david Cameron a Good PM?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChickenMadness
no

Original post by United1892
Simply put no.

Do you two think that because of policy or his actual ability to govern.

I think OP wanted a view of Cameron, not his party or government.
Original post by Imperion
Lol he has a lot of personality.

Just a lot of jeans and blue polo necks..
Original post by Rakas21
Do you two think that because of policy or his actual ability to govern.

I think OP wanted a view of Cameron, not his party or government.

I don't think he's particularly good at either and his policy severely affects how good he is a PM. You could have the best governing ability in the world if you used it to imprison your enemies and steal money you wouldnt be a good PM.
He is the best of a bad bunch of options. But if he is good;

Immigration; promised down to the tens of thousands. Now we get half a million a year.
Housing; complete and utter bull. He spends so much time talking but does literally nothing. There was a crisis this time a few years ago-he hasn't even maintained the crisis but actually seen it get worse.
Jobs; he has created a lot, but low paid work isn't exactly great news. Also, no point creating millions of jobs but letting millions of people in. It keeps wages nice and low and sees competition for jobs. However, since immigration is a different topic I won't judge him too harshly; 8/10. He has created many more than other European nations, fair play to him.
Deficit; he hasn't reduced it as much as promised. We aren't supposed to have one. Don't make promises (same as his keeping the AAA status) and then fail to keep them. (This is where best of a bad bunch comes in; the others would be way, way worse). Broken promises are this mans specialty.
Foreign policy; He still wants to intervene in Libya, Syria. Absolute moron. Stop getting involved please. Where is the Chilcot inquiry? It has taken longer to review the Iraq war than it took to actually fight the bloody thing. At least he wants to keep Trident.
Welfare; on the whole on the way to making reforms. However, his broken tax credits promise and the issue itself has cost him a lot of credibility.
Political reform; still the house of Lords is an oversized knackers yard for politicians and people looking to stay on the gravy train. It is absolutely huge and needs reform in who it pays so namely if you don't speak at all, don't really contribute, you don't get paid. And he wants to increase it in size; madness. Out of touch prick. Also the EU issue, his naive belief he can achieve reform, is plain stupid. He is taking the public for mugs.
Public services; he has made to make cuts, you can't hold it against him really.
Wealth inequality; at the same time as cutting tax credits he is also cutting inheritance tax for the very richest. Perhaps if he didn't give the wealthiest people tax breaks and allow corporations to get off with low tax it would be closed faster. (Labour didn't do anything about it either-best of bad bunch). When you see how property prices are going up faster than wages for young people a divided society is something which we will have to accept as the norm.
Other; he has sold nuclear reactors to China. He is so against nationalisation of the railways, but it seems he is just against the UK nation owning them. He is quite happy to allow the Chinese, who have a reputation for building cheap tat that falls apart after a bit of use but don't worry its cheap to replace, to build a nuclear power station. I despair at this man sometimes. The UK was at the forefront of this industry, it built the first reactors, and it is pitiful that it is now going cap in hand to some of the most untrustworthy regimes going.

My overall view?
He has failed on the biggest issues-immigration and housing. And by failed I mean hugely failed. He has until this election to sort it out otherwise I will never vote Tory in my life-they will be like Labour in my book. Just as Labour have shown their true self Cameron is starting to and it isn't pretty. 0/10.
He has failed in social justice-so wealth inequality and political reform. Not the biggest issues for me, but still pretty big. Complete failure. 0/10.
Defence/Foreign Policy-he insists on playing global policeman at a time when the UK police have stopped investigating burglaries. Prick. At least he wants to keep Trident and spend enough on national security. 3/10.
Political reform-the EU issue is truly embarrassing now. As is the House of Lords. 0/10.
Welfare-I would give him 7/10. Tough times, but he had to get it done.
Public services-7/10. Again, tough times.
Other-0/10.

All in all a lot of zeroes. It looks harsh, but he has achieved nothing in Europe. No reform in the house of Lords. Immigration and housing have actually got worse-he is lucky I am not going into minus figures.
Overall rating? 4.5/10. He is being kept in here by the incompetence of other parties. Thank god UKIP could make him see sense on an EU referendum. Too bad they won't hold him to account on all the other issues and Labour can't either.
Reply 24
A standard conservative politician with some social liberalism to take the edge off. His promises on a better economy with the legalisation of gay marriage helped him seize the middle ground. He's still a pretty good speaker but his performances in debates at the last election was poor. And there goes my opinion
Original post by earthworm
Just a lot of jeans and blue polo necks..

Still better than most politicians.
Original post by jamestg
It makes me really sad that no one has mentioned the lower crime rates, gay marriage and initiatives such as the free school meals for primary school children as good reasons why DC is a good PM...

1) Gay marriage affects 1% of the population. Hardly a big issue. Good news, but not that relevant.
2) That said, credit must be given for the pressure to push this through. Lib Dems, well done. Lib Dems, also thanks for pushing for the raised personal allowance.
Original post by ivy.98
A standard conservative politician with some social liberalism to take the edge off. His promises on a better economy with the legalisation of gay marriage helped him seize the middle ground. He's still a pretty good speaker but his performances in debates at the last election was poor. And there goes my opinion

His performances in some of the debates were poor. Moving towards the end, he was very good and obviously the "it pumps me up" speech was the turning point.
Original post by i<3milkshake
He is the best of a bad bunch of options. But if he is good;

Immigration; promised down to the tens of thousands. Now we get half a million a year.
Housing; complete and utter bull. He spends so much time talking but does literally nothing. There was a crisis this time a few years ago-he hasn't even maintained the crisis but actually seen it get worse.
Jobs; he has created a lot, but low paid work isn't exactly great news. Also, no point creating millions of jobs but letting millions of people in. It keeps wages nice and low and sees competition for jobs. However, since immigration is a different topic I won't judge him too harshly; 8/10. He has created many more than other European nations, fair play to him.
Deficit; he hasn't reduced it as much as promised. We aren't supposed to have one. Don't make promises (same as his keeping the AAA status) and then fail to keep them. (This is where best of a bad bunch comes in; the others would be way, way worse). Broken promises are this mans specialty.
Foreign policy; He still wants to intervene in Libya, Syria. Absolute moron. Stop getting involved please. Where is the Chilcot inquiry? It has taken longer to review the Iraq war than it took to actually fight the bloody thing. At least he wants to keep Trident.
Welfare; on the whole on the way to making reforms. However, his broken tax credits promise and the issue itself has cost him a lot of credibility.
Political reform; still the house of Lords is an oversized knackers yard for politicians and people looking to stay on the gravy train. It is absolutely huge and needs reform in who it pays so namely if you don't speak at all, don't really contribute, you don't get paid. And he wants to increase it in size; madness. Out of touch prick. Also the EU issue, his naive belief he can achieve reform, is plain stupid. He is taking the public for mugs.
Public services; he has made to make cuts, you can't hold it against him really.
Wealth inequality; at the same time as cutting tax credits he is also cutting inheritance tax for the very richest. Perhaps if he didn't give the wealthiest people tax breaks and allow corporations to get off with low tax it would be closed faster. (Labour didn't do anything about it either-best of bad bunch). When you see how property prices are going up faster than wages for young people a divided society is something which we will have to accept as the norm.
Other; he has sold nuclear reactors to China. He is so against nationalisation of the railways, but it seems he is just against the UK nation owning them. He is quite happy to allow the Chinese, who have a reputation for building cheap tat that falls apart after a bit of use but don't worry its cheap to replace, to build a nuclear power station. I despair at this man sometimes. The UK was at the forefront of this industry, it built the first reactors, and it is pitiful that it is now going cap in hand to some of the most untrustworthy regimes going.

My overall view?
He has failed on the biggest issues-immigration and housing. And by failed I mean hugely failed. He has until this election to sort it out otherwise I will never vote Tory in my life-they will be like Labour in my book. Just as Labour have shown their true self Cameron is starting to and it isn't pretty. 0/10.
He has failed in social justice-so wealth inequality and political reform. Not the biggest issues for me, but still pretty big. Complete failure. 0/10.
Defence/Foreign Policy-he insists on playing global policeman at a time when the UK police have stopped investigating burglaries. Prick. At least he wants to keep Trident and spend enough on national security. 3/10.
Political reform-the EU issue is truly embarrassing now. As is the House of Lords. 0/10.
Welfare-I would give him 7/10. Tough times, but he had to get it done.
Public services-7/10. Again, tough times.
Other-0/10.

All in all a lot of zeroes. It looks harsh, but he has achieved nothing in Europe. No reform in the house of Lords. Immigration and housing have actually got worse-he is lucky I am not going into minus figures.
Overall rating? 4.5/10. He is being kept in here by the incompetence of other parties. Thank god UKIP could make him see sense on an EU referendum. Too bad they won't hold him to account on all the other issues and Labour can't either.

Are you aware that the rich pay more tax as a share of the total now than ever before?

Are you aware that income inequality has barely changed over the past few decades?
Still better than most politicians.

Yeah but not an idealogue like thatcher or a rallying figure like churchill, he is just Blue-Blair

Last GE was 3 blair clones, wallace blair, ginger blair and iggle-piggle blair.
Lol he has a lot of personality.

He holds himself back I think.

If you got him alone in the pub I think he'd still be pretty serious but also laid back and a quirky kind of jolly.

I get the impression that he's very comfortable and likes who he is however I don't think he enjoys the job as much as he probably expected.

Miliband was a good comparison to him. I felt that he actually loved leading his party and was a bit giddy but lacked the inner calm Cameron has, he gave the impression of being Bambi in the headlights when the going for tough.

Original post by PetrosAC
It was a Lib Dem policy in 2010 though. Osbourne's beliefs aren't Tory Policy in its entirety.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tory one too. The Conservative contract for equality (one of those official documents they release alongside the manifesto to pander to minorities) had turning civil partnerships into marriage.

Granted it was a bit stupid since 50% of MP's wouldn't vote for it,
Original post by Rakas21

If you got him alone in the pub I think he'd still be pretty serious but also laid back and a quirky kind of jolly.

I get the impression that he's very comfortable and likes who he is however I don't think he enjoys the job as much as he probably expected.

Miliband was a good comparison to him. I felt that he actually loved leading his party and was a bit giddy but lacked the inner calm Cameron has, he gave the impression of being Bambi in the headlights when the going for tough.

Tory one too. The Conservative contract for equality (one of those official documents they release alongside the manifesto to pander to minorities) had turning civil partnerships into marriage.

Fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of the worst. Wanting to make working families £1300 a year worse off isn't a mark of a good PM, and neither is depriving many poorer disabled people of the ability to have a carer and presiding over the most badly-carried-out education reforms in history. To name just a few things of course.
Original post by saxsan4
In your view is David doing a good job?

Yes, only the lefties would disagree. He's repaired a shattered economy and also increased some aspects of welfare spending, givin us the opportunity to leave the EU once and for all! + is a fairly good leader imo.
Original post by LeeTheAussie96
Yes, only the lefties would disagree. He's repaired a shattered economy and also increased some aspects of welfare spending, givin us the opportunity to leave the EU once and for all! + is a fairly good leader imo.

He has far from repaired a shattered economy. I will point out we were out of reccesion when he took over.
Original post by Rakas21

You'd have to make sure he didn't leave his daughter behind.
He has far from repaired a shattered economy. I will point out we were out of reccesion when he took over.

bs
Original post by LeeTheAussie96
bs

If you want to call fact bs fair enough. Sums up tories tbh.
If you want to call fact bs fair enough. Sums up tories tbh.

It's not a fact though is it? Our economy was on similar terms to Greece during 2009-10, all thanks to Labour. Go home mate, I hope you enjoy the next 10 years of Tory supremacy haha.
Original post by ivy.98

manaman said rep4rep but ur 2liberal5me. David cameron is a winner. man about bukake on a swine cuz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending