The Student Room Group

Being proud of your country

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wave of Wisdom
This is such a dumb argument and yet it is the most common for this question. Being born in a certain geographical location is not an accident and nor are the parents who make you. Why? Because you would not be you without being produced by those specific people in that specific environment.

Why should you be proud of your nation? A nation is a collection of people working together towards the goal of furthering each other's interests. If you don't have pride and a desire to support your nation you either become apathetic or destructive towards your people. If you don't care about the past efforts of your people throughout history then you simply repeat their mistakes.

At any rate, we should all feel pride in being British. We have a rich history of monarchs, art, innovation and freedom. A lot of it started on our isles by our people.

You've not refuted my point that being born in a certain country and to certain people is not of your doing and amounts to sheer luck on your own part. It is very difficult for me to feel pride in that regard. I 'could' feel pride for my parents in the job that they've done bringing me up, but I'm certainly not proud of myself for being born in the UK to my parents.

I'm not proud of my nation because I've had no part of it prior to my date of birth. In any case 'our' people have been responsible for centuries of slavery and colonialism in the past to today's dodgy trade deals effectively funding corporal and capital punishment. I admire the WWII effort and social progress - but again I was no part of it. Admiration is completely different from pride - pride would amount to gaining self-worth for someone else's effort. I'm not self-indulgent enough to do that.
**** no.
Original post by rockrunride

I'm not proud of my nation because I've had no part of it prior to my date of birth.

OK, you can ignore what I've said and continue to think your life is a chaotic 8-ball game of luck. You're not proud of your nation even though you have to be alive to take pride in it. You aren't proud of the achievements of your forefathers. That's interesting.

Pride: a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of one's close associates, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.

I don't think anybody who has such little attachment to their family and people are healthy.
OK, you can ignore what I've said and continue to think your life is a chaotic 8-ball game of luck. You're not proud of your nation even though you have to be alive to take pride in it. You aren't proud of the achievements of your forefathers. That's interesting.

Pride: a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of one's close associates, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.

I don't think anybody who has such little attachment to their family and people are healthy.

I've said I admire many of the achievements. I don't personally take pride in them.
Original post by rockrunride
I've said I admire many of the achievements. I don't personally take pride in them.

That's the same thing. Thanks for playing the game. Nice to know you do in fact take pride in your family and nation's actions.
That's the same thing. Thanks for playing the game. Nice to know you do in fact take pride in your family and nation's actions.

Well, I disagree, but I'll move on...
I think it's healthy and only demonized by pseudo-sophisticated, haughty lefties who think we are above tribalism, and are ignorant of the fact that it is innate, and that manifested in the right way, it is a force for good. It can foster solidarity, and rather than idiotic utopianism, which wants to make a borderless world and pour aid down black holes, it recognises that global inequality is part of life whilst trying to make our island a relative paradise and a home we should all be grateful for. When patriotism is a problem, is when it is blind, unconditional, uncritical and intolerant of critics, authoritarian and when it harbours a resentment of those who want to change anything for the better or willingness to even listen to them.

The last thing I want to add- personally I think if you are real patriot you are not bullied by propaganda that tells us we can't govern ourselves. A patriot should want our sovereignty back, and also be aware of at least some our great history to know what is being lost.
And the type of people who keep insisting on more subservience to America, and 'respect', and that we should do things based on whether it helps our 'relationship' with them(ie things which please them and are about their interests) in my view are not patriots, they are cowards who cannot have very much commitment to their own country.

Oh-one last thing I loathe, and a mark of a fake patriot-people's who belief Britishness only encompass race not culture, and believe that Britian simply means 'white northern Europe'- ie happy to be governed by Brussels, and to have as many EU migrants here as possible, but no blacks or Asians, even if they have been here three generations.
The type of people who support the Polish guy who has been here a month telling the dark man who's been here 3 generations to 'go home' and that this is 'his place not theirs'. Oh please. If Britan is to become simply 'white EU northern territory' (when again, this is nothing remotely like our history) then I would be ashamed and angry.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheNote
I think that the British history is one of the more moral, at least its modern history

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look closer.
Reply 28
Original post by RogueBlossom
Look closer.

Why don't you explain whats so bad about your history.
Reply 29
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I think it's healthy and only demonized by pseudo-sophisticated, haughty lefties who think we are above tribalism, and are ignorant of the fact that it is innate, and that manifested in the right way, it is a force for good. It can foster solidarity, and rather than idiotic utopianism, which wants to make a borderless world and pour aid down black holes, it recognises that global inequality is part of life whilst trying to make our island a relative paradise and a home we should all be grateful for. When patriotism is a problem, is when it is blind, unconditional, uncritical and intolerant of critics, authoritarian and when it harbours a resentment of those who want to change anything for the better or willingness to even listen to them.

The last thing I want to add- personally I think if you are real patriot you are not bullied by propaganda that tells us we can't govern ourselves. A patriot should want our sovereignty back, and also be aware of at least some our great history to know what is being lost.
And the type of people who keep insisting on more subservience to America, and 'respect', and that we should do things based on whether it helps our 'relationship' with them(ie things which please them and are about their interests) in my view are not patriots, they are cowards who cannot have very much commitment to their own country.

Oh-one last thing I loathe, and a mark of a fake patriot-people's who belief Britishness only encompass race not culture, and believe that Britian simply means 'white northern Europe'- ie happy to be governed by Brussels, and to have as many EU migrants here as possible, but no blacks or Asians, even if they have been here three generations.
The type of people who support the Polish guy who has been here a month telling the dark man who's been here 3 generations to 'go home' and that this is 'his place not theirs'. Oh please. If Britan is to become simply 'white EU northern territory' (when again, this is nothing remotely like our history) then I would be ashamed and angry.

Other than highlighted, great post.
Yes, national identity and pride are good things, and, no, neither necessitates claiming responsibility for the country's achievements.

Corbynite cosmopolitan edgelords who scorn this are just boring and irritating.
Original post by Saftvare Jarb
Im so bored with our troops its just not true. The beery blokey-blokes spout out the same grey lumpen old rhetoric every ****ing year when they're not jumping on whatever sporting bandwagon is doing the rounds this week. The nationalist game really is getting ****ing stale and boring now, theres no reason why you can't identify and share a bond with someone from another race. In fact the probably greatest threats to your wellbeing come from those who are supposed to be among your own kind.

Urge, this post says more about you than them to be honest

Quick Reply

Latest