The Student Room Group

Worst pain you have experianced so far?

Scroll to see replies

Actually it's when my finger got an infection. My nail fell off, my finger turned purple (I'm black :rofl:) and it got so bad at one point that I completely lost control of my finger, it was literally paralysed. It took about 6 months for the nail to grow back. :eek:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Armastan
What was the back operation for? :redface:

I was born premature and my back wasnt formed straight. It curved at a 60 degree angle
They put titanium rods in my back to straighten it and it added an extra inch to my height 😊
I just cant grow taller in my upper body but my lower body can still grow
I cant play contact sports incase i end up breaking the spine :smile:
Reply 22
When a dentist put an anaesthetic needle in the back of my mouth it felt as if someone had grabbed the top of my spine and ripped it out via the top of my head. That is not a figure of speech: it is exactly what it felt like.

"That's funny" he said. "That bundle of nerves is usually further over than that."

The pain was spectacular. Thankfully, it only lasted a few seconds.

Any medial students on here that can tell me what he did?
Original post by alcibiade
Beyond migraines, the worst pain was when they cut a cast off of a broken leg. The doctor, who was an insensitive lout with zero empathy, let me hold my own leg up, which gave me the most lancing pain in my knee. It was so excruciating I lost control and screamed, for which my doc berated me.

Some doctors are horrible.:s-smilie:
Reply 24
Original post by Ishan_2000
I don't know what it was tbh, but I felt like I couldn't stand up, too lazy to do anything, head was hot as hell, my whole body was hot as hell, I felt dizzy, breathless even though I wasn't doing anything, wanted to sleep 24/7, when I slept, I woke up half an hour later, sweating all over, clothes sticking to me, too cold without a duvet over me, too hot with the duvet over me, wanted to hit myself to make me feel better, couldn't eat, couldn't watch a tv show or a film, cos I couldn't follow what was happening, even though I used to watch them everyday....

It was the worst. I don't know what it was. My parents just told me to sleep and it'll get better. They were right in the end. This only lasted 3 days, but they were the longest three days of my life. After those three days, I was back to normal, genuinely back to normal. I couldn't believe it.

That sounds like 'flu. A proper dose of 'flu is a world away from a bad cold.
In a car accident and ended up in hospital with a slipped disc in my back and compressed nerves - absolute agony - like someone stabbing you every time you move - worse than labour pains
Original post by Simes
That sounds like 'flu. A proper dose of 'flu is a world away from a bad cold.

Oh right, thanks! I've had some bad colds, and they were nowhere near as bad! That makes sense actually.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Actually it's when my finger got an infection. My nail fell off, my finger turned purple (I'm black :rofl:) and it got so bad at one point that I completely lost control of my finger, it was literally paralysed. It took about 6 months for the nail to grow back. :eek:

Did you see the doctor?
Original post by Armastan
I'm female but that sounds extreeeeemely painful o.O
The sound of ripping skin was the worst part.
Original post by OU Student
Migraine. Mucking about with lights during Drama with an aura really didn't help. :frown: Pionidal sinus is pretty painful. As was changing the dressings. (because you're left with a hole which has to be packed and changed)

I had a migraine during school too once- And I had PE which made it worse.:s-smilie:
Original post by parrot16
I had a migraine during school too once- And I had PE which made it worse.:s-smilie:

Yes. I find that exercise makes it worse. The only thing that helps is sleep.
Broken metacarpals. The break itself didn't hurt, but forgetting they were broke and trying to shut a car door afterwards definitely did.
Original post by DarkEclipse
Emotional: When I found out I screwed up my AS Levels :P
Physical: Two experiences. When I was 12, I fell and tumbled down a sloping hill. There was this jagged rock sticking out, and it cut my back. Made me look really cool, but it did hurt.

Second; when I got a mouthful of sodium hydroxide in the lab while using a pipette. It burnt. A lot.

Why was the NaOH in your mouth for?
Well, when I had horrible stomach cramps and lost a lot of weight before my GCSE exams. I would cry myself to sleep every night because the pain was horrible. I went to the doctor got (several) blood tests done, had a check up where I had to be under general anaesthetic. Got told I had a life long condition, had another blood test where they couldn't find perfectly visible veins (not done by a phlebotomist) and they practically pulled the blood out of my veins in my hands (in addition to the other four needles they pricked into me before that), where I was laugh crying and it looked like my sister was gonna cry for me :/

Spoiler

*sigh* Oh life.
Original post by OU Student
Yes. I find that exercise makes it worse. The only thing that helps is sleep.

Yes that's true but I cant sleep if I keep vomiting.:s-smilie:
getting a catheter pulled out
Original post by ravioliyears
Well, when I had horrible stomach cramps and lost a lot of weight before my GCSE exams. I would cry myself to sleep every night because the pain was horrible. I went to the doctor got (several) blood tests done, had a check up where I had to be under general anaesthetic. Got told I had a life long condition, had another blood test where they couldn't find perfectly visible veins (not done by a phlebotomist) and they practically pulled the blood out of my veins in my hands (in addition to the other four needles they pricked into me before that), where I was laugh crying and it looked like my sister was gonna cry for me :/

Spoiler

*sigh* Oh life.

I thought they got blood from under the elbow.
Did you see the doctor?

Yep, he offered to suck the pus out before it developed but I am absolutely terrified of needles so was like 'no, I'll handle this pain' :colonhash:
Yes that's true but I cant sleep if I keep vomiting.:s-smilie:

I don't get that thankfully. Luckily, I grew out of them. I've started to get them again according to my neurologist. But thankfully I don't get aura which is scary.
I thought they got blood from under the elbow.

No - its usually where you bend your arm, but they put the needle in and apparently couldn't find a vein on both arms and they blamed me for not drinking enough water (wtf I drank two 75cl bottles of water before that :/). As they couldn't find it there, they had to take it from my hand.

Quick Reply

Latest