The Student Room Group

I study Dentistry - Ask me anything (AMA)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Kartace
No worries, It was interesting and i think it's definitely a different experience to other universities - no necessarily in a bad way though. We still had lots of fun and did all the sorts of things that normal freshers do, I don't feel like it limited my experience at all. Also in first and second year I mixed a fair bit with students from QM and I still have a fair amount of contact with them now through the student ambassador that i work for. The thing is because I'm now a fourth year a lot of my friends from QMUL graduated last year.

In 1st year I lived with Medics/Dentists, 2nd year i lived with just medics, 3rd and 4th year I lived with medics/dentists. To be honest it just work easier and makes more sense. Medics and Dentists understand eachother...our courses are very different to other degrees and can be very demanding sometimes, so it's nice to have housemates who can appreciate that, especially around exam time. We have some 3rd year QM students in the flat below us and they lead a very different life to us, they're only in uni1/2 days a week and have a lot more time for parties etc. In contrast i feel sometimes more like a working adult, I'm in 4/5 days a week 9-5.

That's good I guess in a way. Sorry if it's been asked, but where else did you apply to? Did you get offers there as well?
Reply 81
Original post by uberteknik
Do you pick your nose or scratch your scrotum?

Yes and yes...sometimes both at the same time.

Reply 82
Original post by Jitesh
That's good I guess in a way. Sorry if it's been asked, but where else did you apply to? Did you get offers there as well?

Liverpool - Offer
Manchester - Offer
Leeds - Rejection
Barts - Offer (Firm)
Original post by Kartace
Absolutely not, they literally don't care if you take maths or music or art. As long as you have the entry requirements. Pick something else that you're good at and are likely to succeed in. Remember you only need 3 a levels.

I have been advised to take 4 a-levels? because my gcse grades are high so i'd cope but i'm not too sure, the requirements just 3 a-levels. What if i took a language as an a-level? can i ask what you took?
Reply 84
Original post by magneto96
If I didn't take biology A level, is there any university I can apply if I take out a gap year?
I'm currently studying chemistry, maths and psychology at A level

Posted from TSR Mobile

Off the top of my head i think there may be 1 or 2 universities where you don't need Biology. I'm not sure though...your best bet is to search all the university admissions pages tbh. However, the rule is that your A levels need to be completed within 2 years...so you couldn't do biology in a gap year...as far as I'm aware anyway.
Reply 85
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
I have been advised to take 4 a-levels? because my gcse grades are high so i'd cope but i'm not too sure, the requirements just 3 a-levels. What if i took a language as an a-level? can i ask what you took?

If you want to do 4 then go for it but remember A*A*B A* isn't going to get you into uni if the B is in Biol/Chem. Think seriously about it first. I think I've already told you what I took but here it is...

Original post by xGCSE_Studentx

Original post by Kartace
Chemistry A
Welsh Baccalaureate A
Biology A*
Music A*
Business A (AS)

Would it be safe to say I don't have to pick maths as an a-level to go into dentistry?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kartace
Hey there, as far as I'm aware the foundation programs are generally for those student who studied no lab-based science subject at all rather than those who just forgot to study one of the requirements.

Hey, yeah that's what I thought too, that 6-year courses were usually reserved for Humanities students who had a change of mind, but I looked at the course offered by Manchester and the entry requirements said "no more than one of Chemistry, Biology or Physics". She only had Chemistry, so she might be eligible?
Reply 87
Original post by NainaK98
Hey, yeah that's what I thought too, that 6-year courses were usually reserved for Humanities students who had a change of mind, but I looked at the course offered by Manchester and the entry requirements said "no more than one of Chemistry, Biology or Physics". She only had Chemistry, so she might be eligible?

I must be honest I'm a bit out of touch now...i applied about 5 years ago and I never really looked at the foundation courses but that sounds like she could apply to it,
Reply 88
how much do dentists roughly get paid when they:
First graduate
age 30
age 40
age 50?
And include whether or not its before giving 50% lab fees and tax
Original post by Kartace
I must be honest I'm a bit out of touch now...i applied about 5 years ago and I never really looked at the foundation courses but that sounds like she could apply to it,

What were the grade requirements when you applied? The dentist I did my work experience with needed BBC! 😂
any products to stop eating chewing tobaco?

Posted from TSR Mobile
what are your favourite type of teeth?
Original post by Kartace
I think the coolest thing for me is that even as a dental student you have a tremendous privilege in that you are allowed to carry out surgical procedures and have a potentially huge impact on someones life from your 2/3rd year of study. It's also quite daunting and a big responsibility, it certainly means that you have to grow up and become professional pretty damn quick. I love nothing more than waking up and going to clinic where i can hone my craft, talk to people and help them. I can't think of anything more boring than just writing essays all day or even worse being sat in an office or something gruesome like that!

I think I study the best course there is - many would argue and everyone has something different that makes them tick.

As for Barts i think it's a great place to study and I'd recommend it to anyone. The years are quite small so it's easy to know everyones name, after spending a few years in the hospital you get to know all the tutors and nurses and it's really just like one big family. London is expensive but living and working here is an experience I'll never forget!

thank you for your reply. sounds like you are having an awesome time! hehe. anyway i just want to ask one more question before i fly away.. what keeps you motivated through a gruelling and cool course? thanks
Reply 93
Are you considering to the GPT scheme or standard VT after?
Reply 94
Original post by NainaK98
What were the grade requirements when you applied? The dentist I did my work experience with needed BBC! 😂

Hey there, the requirements were generally AAA (I'm not THAT old :tongue:) some places required AAB but nearly always offered AAA. The dentist i went on work experience with got in with EEE!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by Jitesh
Are you considering to the GPT scheme or standard VT after?

Hey there, I can't say I know much about the GPT scheme, that's more 5th year, but I've done a quick bit of research on google. It seems that these are the so called "longitudinal schemes" they last for two years and incorporate a wider variety of dental care settings such as secondary and community care.

As for "VT"..i feel if we're going to talk about this we should do it properly. VT stands for vocational training, obviously, but it hasn't been called that for a number of years now. It was renamed Dental foundation year 1 (DFY1), it's since been renamed yet again to just Dental foundation 1 (DF1).

At the moment i think I'm just going to go for the standard 1 year foundation training and then decide if i would like to pursue Dental Core Training in a hospital environment or continue with general practice. Those decisions are a while away still for me though. (Thankfully!)
Reply 96
Original post by harmony_x
what are your favourite type of teeth?

I think Canines probably are...they're the only tooth of their type in the mouth, they have the longest roots and form the corners of the dental arch, without them eating is quite tricky due to their unique capacity for puncturing and tearing. They're also essential in mutually protected occlusion for canine guidance. And they look cool :3
Reply 97
Original post by swwet aish
any products to stop eating chewing tobaco?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Research shows us that the best way to stop using any form of tobacco is a combination of supportive therapy and medication. If you go to your local GP they can refer you to a local stop smoking service and they'll be happy to help you. Remember your many times more likely to give up with support and medication that just willpower alone.

Good luck... chewing tobacco is a major risk factor for mouth cancer so don't wait to get that referral!
Reply 98
Original post by captain_falcon
thank you for your reply. sounds like you are having an awesome time! hehe. anyway i just want to ask one more question before i fly away.. what keeps you motivated through a gruelling and cool course? thanks

I think the main thing is that I've had the great fortune to be taught and lectured by some amazing clinicians and i've seen some of the amazing things that they can do. This inspires me to want to better myself and emulate what they've achieved. There's also a financial aspect, i want to do the best dentistry i can so that i can earn good money for it and also more importantly give my patients the best value for their money.

I'm also just very competitive and quite bad at not being good at things! :tongue:
Reply 99
Original post by Kartace
Hey there, I can't say I know much about the GPT scheme, that's more 5th year, but I've done a quick bit of research on google. It seems that these are the so called "longitudinal schemes" they last for two years and incorporate a wider variety of dental care settings such as secondary and community care.

As for "VT"..i feel if we're going to talk about this we should do it properly. VT stands for vocational training, obviously, but it hasn't been called that for a number of years now. It was renamed Dental foundation year 1 (DFY1), it's since been renamed yet again to just Dental foundation 1 (DF1).

At the moment i think I'm just going to go for the standard 1 year foundation training and then decide if i would like to pursue Dental Core Training in a hospital environment or continue with general practice. Those decisions are a while away still for me though. (Thankfully!)

Oh I didn't realise it had changed formal name, I've only heard it referred to as VT! I'm in year 12 at the moment; sorry :smile:

What were the main extra curricular activities you did at sixth form?

Quick Reply

Latest