The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

My favourite pro veganism quotation!

Scroll to see replies

Close. You missed out the "because it's unlikely to make any difference". Plus I involved no soap box. I was simply putting my two cents on the thread.
i'm a vegetarian but life's too short to be a vegan
oh
that really opened my eyes thank you
The word irregardless is void of meaning

Posted from TSR Mobile
Son, if I was trolling, I'd just be posting pictures of a steak, I don't go to extreme lengths for easy wins.

Pants can direct their root growth dependent on the surroundings, capable of turning to avoid rocks and stones, suggesting a degree of awareness, that they aren't obviously self-aware to us doesn't mean they aren't sentient. But beyond that, they're as like to feel pain and have sentience as bivalves, given neither have a CNS. Besides that a brian is not necessary to process pain, the receptors alone can spark a response, such as those plants that roll their leaves up in response to contact, and they can move, they regularly re angle themselves in response to the sun.

Even in they are sentient of course, we still have to eat in the end, but then the same arguments apply to eating meat.
Echolocation.

I have no qualms with you continuing to eat meat - it's none of my business.

Then you shouldn't have got so preachy, nor should there's too much love - I give not one solitary damn if someone is a vegan or not, I've got plenty of friends who don't eat meat and it doesn't bother me in the slightest, because they're decent people. However, when people trivialise ethnic cleansing and rape to justify being up on their high horse, then I'm going to respond. Think of your diet as a penis - fine to have it but don't act like you're better than everyone else for having it, don't try to force it down people's throats and if you do, don't be surprised when it gets ripped off and fed to the dogs.

Keep your diet to yourself and there's no problem, make grossly offensive comments about rape and the Holocaust and I'll start upping my meat consumption to more than the two of us would eat if you weren't vegan, out of pure spite.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
x

Your argument depends on the view that plants and animals are both alive in the same way, and feel pain in the same way. So therefore eating/killing animals is no different than eating/"killing" plants. And you're entitled to this view if you want.

BUT, when it comes down to it, I somehow doubt that, on an emotional, logical and gut-instinctive level, people who use this argument genuinely feel this way - that, for example, ripping and eating a leaf off a tree is the same as slitting the throat of a pig and cooking/eating it later on.

It's all fine and dandy saying "but plants have feeling too wahhhhh" etc., just talking about it and having these philosophical discussions about morals and ethics, but if deep down these counterarguments don't truly resonate with the person, then it seems more like an excuse than anything else.

Of course, that's unless you really think killing/eating a plant is the same as killing/eating an animal? Do you?
Again, I'm not saying you're not allowed to hold this view, but I just find it hard to understand how someone could hold such a view. :dontknow: I'm just trying to understand what goes on in people's minds.
that's not a mum insult
Original post by TooEasy123
Your argument depends on the view that plants and animals are both alive in the same way, and feel pain in the same way. So therefore eating/killing animals is no different than eating/"killing" plants. And you're entitled to this view if you want.

BUT, when it comes down to it, I somehow doubt that, on an emotional, logical and gut-instinctive level, people who use this argument genuinely feel this way - that, for example, ripping and eating a leaf off a tree is the same as slitting the throat of a pig and cooking/eating it later on.

It's all fine and dandy saying "but plants have feeling too wahhhhh" etc., just talking about it and having these philosophical discussions about morals and ethics, but if deep down these counterarguments don't truly resonate with the person, then it seems more like an excuse than anything else.

Of course, that's unless you really think killing/eating a plant is the same as killing/eating an animal? Do you?
Again, I'm not saying you're not allowed to hold this view, but I just find it hard to understand how someone could hold such a view. :dontknow: I'm just trying to understand what goes on in people's minds.

You're talking to a person who can't eat salad unless it's masked by meat, and, given its an eat meat or starve deal for me, sees absolutely no problem with killing animals for food, so yes, for me they're both on a level, because killing animals is a necessity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Charming, finished trying to kill your high horse yet? It's about as alive as last Christmases turkey y'know.

Edit: given my partners a psychologist and trainee counsellor I ought to correct you - psychologists and psychiatrists aren't the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
You're not going to win over a lot of people like that you know
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

given my partners a psychologist and trainee counsellor I ought to correct you - psychologists and psychiatrists aren't the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Given the behaviour that person has displayed in this thread and also multiple others, I can only imagine they'll be getting to know this well in their future
What is your opinion on Mimosa Pudica? It would seem to be more receptive than some animals, such as Mussels for example.

[video="youtube;BLTcVNyOhUc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLTcVNyOhUc[/video]
Original post by KimKallstrom
Given the behaviour that person has displayed in this thread and also multiple others, I can only imagine they'll be getting to know this well in their future

That's a bit unnecessary - they're clearly just an idealistic young chap who hasn't realised/accepted that the world doesn't really care what you think/don't do, only what you do and offer to it.
Original post by BekahMay
I dont agree that veganism is a disease but i certainly dont agree with you categorising meat eaters with rapists and paedophiles either.
People are entitled to their opinion on what they eat and noone on either side of the argument should judge the other because each have their own reasons that the other side will never be able to understand while theyre on the other side.

Sorry, how can inseminating, castrating and slaughtering with blenders to produce flesh, milk and skin be your personal decision when it causes the death of billions of animals?
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending