The Student Room Group

Successive Ionisation Energies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kadak
Edexcel,however I read books from the ocr,edexcel and AQA exam boards !

Sweet. Just to check because I've been sticking with the AQA spec.

Principle quantum shell is the orbital(s) of the shell in question?

I understand the principle quantum number gives us the number of orbitals in each shell through squaring the principle quantum number (e.g. 2nd shell is 2^2 = 4 which is made up of 1 s orbital and 3 p orbitals).
Original post by High Stakes

I understand the principle quantum number gives us the number of orbitals in each shell through squaring the principle quantum number (e.g. 2nd shell is 2^2 = 4 which is made up of 1 s orbital and 3 p orbitals).

Are you doing the new AQA spec?
Original post by ravioliyears

Old. :wink:
Original post by High Stakes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah careful.The orbital is just a theoretical region of space around the nucleus that we know contains up to two electrons.

Principal quantum shells are the discrete energy levels electrons occupy when orbiting the nucleus.Principal quantum numbers is a number representing the relative overall energy of each orbital.

Are you talking about the 2n^2 rule? Where n is the principal quantum shells and the answer shows the amount of electrons each n holds?
Thank you guys so much! Its all beginning to make sense now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The trick is to draw electron in boxes or the shells.Also see on the periodic table where the element in question is.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

The trick is to draw electron in boxes or the shells.Also see on the periodic table where the element in question is.

Okay, thank you. I generally draw the box and arrow diagram to help on questions like these.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Old or new spec shouldn't matter. unless the exam boards change the laws of quantum physics,it should remain the same.
The only difference is that I heard the examiners want more correct scientific terminology.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Old or new spec shouldn't matter. unless the exam boards change the laws of quantum physics,it should remain the same.
The only difference is that I heard the examiners want more correct scientific terminology.

Yes, and also they want us to memorise 12 key practicals, which would most likely be in the exams :/
Yes, and also they want us to memorise 12 key practicals, which would most likely be in the exams :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ugh the practicals are horrible, just grind through them.
I'm reading through the AQA books as well as my edexcel and ocr ones,so I can be your study buddy if you want :smile:.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ugh the practicals are horrible, just grind through them.
I'm reading through the AQA books as well as my edexcel and ocr ones,so I can be your study buddy if you want :smile:.

Coolio, that would be great! :biggrin: Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest