The Student Room Group

Mechanical principles

I'm going to post two pics of the questions I need help on.

@Ryanx623 - here are the questions
The wording makes sense, but the diagrams put me off slightly. If you know how to do them, could you show me the step by step process again? It really helped last time.
Reply 3
Original post by ravioliyears
The wording makes sense, but the diagrams put me off slightly. If you know how to do them, could you show me the step by step process again? It really helped last time.

I can't see your diagrams! Your pictures are not loading, perhaps try again?

Reply 5

Still not seeing them, not sure if its just me, can you post a link to them perhaps? Using imgur or such?

We cant see the pictures.
Original post by Phichi
Still not seeing them, not sure if its just me, can you post a link to them perhaps? Using imgur or such?

I dont think I can, sorry. I don't know how to send it via PM either :/
Let me upload it again wait
Now??

Im not a hundred percent sure on this as I havent yet got ny mechanics books (damn Amazon !).
But I think usually you have to label the forces and take components(make a triangle )to find the magnitude of the force your looking for.
Sorry if Im useless at this :frown:.Ill be better in a couple of months at mechanics.
Original post by Kadak
Im not a hundred percent sure on this as I havent yet got ny mechanics books (damn Amazon !).
But I think usually you have to label the forces and take components(make a triangle )to find the magnitude of the force your looking for.
Sorry if Im useless at this :frown:.Ill be better in a couple of months at mechanics.

Thanks. I was suspecting you'd draw a free-body diagram, but I don't know how to draw it from the diagram shown.
Im guessing the one labelled 6 is the biggest and hence the resultant force,while the two 3s are the one in equilibria since there is no resultant force ?
Thanks. I was suspecting you'd draw a free-body diagram, but I don't know how to draw it from the diagram shown.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The angles in the pictures gives you the vital clue.Using SOHCAHTOA for the triangle you made should find the magnitude of the resultant force.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

The angles in the pictures gives you the vital clue.Using SOHCAHTOA for the triangle you made should find the magnitude of the force.

Cool, I'll try it

Quick Reply

Latest