The Student Room Group

Are Protein Shakes worth it?

First time using protein shakes. I don't usually go to the gym but I'm rather skinny, I bought Impact Whey Protein from myprotein.com as it has literally no fat and high protein.

I need to add muscle, will I be able to see results from protein shakes soon? I do a lot of running and play intense 5 a side football for an hour or 2, non stop.

Scroll to see replies

You kinda actually need to lift weights in order to gain muscle. Sorry.
Original post by MrTurks
First time using protein shakes. I don't usually go to the gym but I'm rather skinny, I bought Impact Whey Protein from myprotein.com as it has literally no fat and high protein.

I need to add muscle, will I be able to see results from protein shakes soon? I do a lot of running and play intense 5 a side football for an hour or 2, non stop.

You've got no chance getting muscle that way.
Reply 3
Protein shakes only work if you are actually working out, they give you the extra pump to get the next rep in whatever you are doing, try doing pushups/situps to get toned you can gain a bit of muscle, i do that because im broke as hell and cant afford gym but you can tell the difference
Protein shakes do not give you extra pump, pushups and situps are useless past the absolute beginner phase
Original post by ikhan94
Protein shakes only work if you are actually working out, they give you the extra pump to get the next rep in whatever you are doing, try doing pushups/situps to get toned you can gain a bit of muscle, i do that because im broke as hell and cant afford gym but you can tell the difference

Seriously though, your comment just fried my brain cells.
Original post by ikhan94

no no no no no no no no
Protein shakes are a supplement , not magic juice.
ikhan94 is retarded

OP is also retarded

This thread is retarded
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Protein shakes are a supplement , not magic juice.

Why was I not informed about this before ???!?!?!?!
Original post by NathanDYEL
Why was I not informed about this before ???!?!?!?!

:biggrin:
Original post by NathanDYEL
no no no no no no no no

what?
They're an absolute scam.
Original post by ikhan94
what?

He is right.

Original post by ikhan94

Where did you get this information from?

Protein shakes are just another source of calories and protein, the same as meat, eggs, beans etc. They don't do anything else, they are not magic. So Forget the idea that they "give you the extra pump to get the next rep in whatever you are doing". I don't even understand what you are saying. What is this 'extra pump' you speak of, why is it needed to perform an extra rep in whatever exercise, and how is this related to getting a few extra calories and grams of protein from a dairy by-product such as whey protein? I'm curious.

Don't give fitness advice if you think people should do pushups/situps to get "toned" and build muscle. Those movements offer very little resistance and will not cause significant muscle growth. 'Tone' doesn't exist in exercise science, it isn't a thing, you build muscle and loose fat, don't use this word, it makes me feel a bit sick.
Original post by Squats and milk
He is right.

Protein shakes are just another source of calories and protein, the same as meat, eggs, beans etc. They don't do anything else, they are not magic. So Forget the idea that they "give you the extra pump to get the next rep in whatever you are doing". I don't even understand what you are saying. What is this 'extra pump' you speak of, why is it needed to perform an extra rep in whatever exercise, and how is this related to getting a few extra calories and grams of protein from a dairy by-product such as whey protein? I'm curious.

Don't give fitness advice if you think people should do pushups/situps to get "toned" and build muscle. Those movements offer very little resistance and will not cause significant muscle growth. 'Tone' doesn't exist in exercise science, it isn't a thing, you build muscle and loose fat, don't use this word, it makes me feel a bit sick.

LOL

It always grates on me when someone says they want to 'tone' their body, I be like "bitch aint no such thang as toning!".
He is right.

Don't give fitness advice if you think people should do pushups/situps to get "toned" and build muscle. Those movements offer very little resistance and will not cause significant muscle growth. 'Tone' doesn't exist in exercise science, it isn't a thing, you build muscle and loose fat, don't use this word, it makes me feel a bit sick.[/

i didnt say to build muscle mate obviously they cant do that, but they do help your body to get into shape if you do it slowly and a lot of sets
Original post by ikhan94
i didnt say to build muscle mate obviously they cant do that

Original post by ikhan94
try doing pushups/situps to get toned you can gain a bit of muscle,

Yh a bit you can get a bigger chest and arms, i didnt say it will get you into a bodybuilder....
Again.
Original post by ikhan94
i didnt say to build muscle mate obviously they cant do that

Original post by ikhan94
Yh a bit you can get a bigger chest and arms

Original post by ikhan94
i didnt say it will get you into a bodybuilder....

There was no mention of this in my previous post.
Again.

There was no mention of this in my previous post.

Ughh do one...

Quick Reply

Latest