The Student Room Group

History Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by claudiaford0798
About 30 minutes ago!

Thanks! Just as I read this I got an email saying my track had changed haha, unconditional offer for history too, woop!!
Original post by PeachesBS
That's amazing. What did you get at AS?

AABB predicted A*A*A
Reply 122
I'm also applying to Oxford, doing the HAT next Wednesday! I'm worrying that I haven't practiced all papers yet, and only have a few days! Is anyone else sitting it, and if so how are you finding the prep?
Original post by mslader
I'm also applying to Oxford, doing the HAT next Wednesday! I'm worrying that I haven't practiced all papers yet, and only have a few days! Is anyone else sitting it, and if so how are you finding the prep?

I think the source questions on the HAT require you to have a sharp mind on the day of the exam, but i thought I'd revise my history topic from last year ( The Norman Conquest) for the essay question ... not going too well though to be honest :frown: How are you preparing ? :smile:
Reply 124
Original post by Ghazal_
I think the source questions on the HAT require you to have a sharp mind on the day of the exam, but i thought I'd revise my history topic from last year ( The Norman Conquest) for the essay question ... not going too well though to be honest :frown: How are you preparing ? :smile:

I quite like the source ones, it's hard to practice for those so I'm not too worried. I'm doing the same and revising Russia in revolution, but I've been so I'll for two weeks, I'm laying in bed with my notes struggling to even read! It's supposed to test on your existing skills I guess
Original post by mslader
I quite like the source ones, it's hard to practice for those so I'm not too worried. I'm doing the same and revising Russia in revolution, but I've been so I'll for two weeks, I'm laying in bed with my notes struggling to even read! It's supposed to test on your existing skills I guess

They're really interesting aren't they ?And if you're ill then first priority is to recover for Nov 4th, don't stress yourself out too much because as you say ultimately it's about your skills:smile:
Reply 126
Original post by Ghazal_
They're really interesting aren't they ?And if you're ill then first priority is to recover for Nov 4th, don't stress yourself out too much because as you say ultimately it's about your skills:smile:

Exactly what I'm trying to do! So hard when you know you have all this work- feel so lazy just laying around haha
Original post by mslader
Exactly what I'm trying to do! So hard when you know you have all this work- feel so lazy just laying around haha

I can imagine , though I had one of those days this week even though I'm not Ill 😂 Are you applying for single honors history ?
Reply 128
Original post by Ghazal_
I can imagine , though I had one of those days this week even though I'm not Ill 😂 Are you applying for single honors history ?

Just one day, you're doing well! It's every day for me. Yep, got 4/5 offers back which is so exciting
Original post by mslader
Just one day, you're doing well! It's every day for me. Yep, got 4/5 offers back which is so exciting

Thank you ! But judging by the fact that you've had such a brilliant response from all your unis , I'd say you don't have to worry about it :smile: well done ! I've got an offer from Glasgow for history and lit , waiting on Edinburgh, Durham + stAndrews :smile:
Reply 130
Original post by Ghazal_
Thank you ! But judging by the fact that you've had such a brilliant response from all your unis , I'd say you don't have to worry about it :smile: well done ! I've got an offer from Glasgow for history and lit , waiting on Edinburgh, Durham + stAndrews :smile:

Thank you! Wow you're applying to all the top ones, good on you. Got to aim high. What are your predicted grades?
Original post by mslader
Thank you! Wow you're applying to all the top ones, good on you. Got to aim high. What are your predicted grades?

So are you - I think that even applying to Oxford requires you to have a certain amount of guts so high five - and A* A* A :smile: how about you ?
Hi! I'm sitting the HAT on Wednesday too! Unfortunately my school don't really have any recent history applicants so I haven't received any help with it!
I've looked over the past papers and written some notes on some of the questions but I haven't actually tried a full timed past paper or answered any of the questions in essay form yet, so don't worry, I'm very unprepared as well!
Gonna try and look over the Russian Revolutions today for the own knowledge question!
But like you both said, hoping it comes down to skills in the end cause I'm not feeling very confident haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sherlockie
Hi! I'm sitting the HAT on Wednesday too! Unfortunately my school don't really have any recent history applicants so I haven't received any help with it!
I've looked over the past papers and written some notes on some of the questions but I haven't actually tried a full timed past paper or answered any of the questions in essay form yet, so don't worry, I'm very unprepared as well!
Gonna try and look over the Russian Revolutions today for the own knowledge question!
But like you both said, hoping it comes down to skills in the end cause I'm not feeling very confident haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

We should all discuss it afterwards but maybe that'd make things worse ! And i know I'm saying this way too much but sometimes all you need is a clear head to look at things in a certain way ... when you look at the mark schemes the answers are almost logical , yet perhaps we (History applicants) have a tendency to read too deeply into everything haha, i hope we all do well :smile:
Reply 134
Original post by Ghazal_
So are you - I think that even applying to Oxford requires you to have a certain amount of guts so high five - and A* A* A :smile: how about you ?

Precisely! Everyone knows how competitive it is and I understand people dedicate their lives to going there so I wouldn't be devastated if I didn't get far. Exactly the same
Reply 135
Original post by Ghazal_
We should all discuss it afterwards but maybe that'd make things worse ! And i know I'm saying this way too much but sometimes all you need is a clear head to look at things in a certain way ... when you look at the mark schemes the answers are almost logical , yet perhaps we (History applicants) have a tendency to read too deeply into everything haha, i hope we all do well :smile:

I totally agree. Whenever I look at the source questions it gets so deep and I look at the mark scheme and think "how didn't I see that?!" Maybe when we're in there and it's the real thing it'll force us to see better, I always find that with exams
Original post by mslader
Precisely! Everyone knows how competitive it is and I understand people dedicate their lives to going there so I wouldn't be devastated if I didn't get far. Exactly the same

Oh yeah I completely agree! I think it's a great opportunity, but at the same time there are other unis I would be completely happy to go to!

And yeah that would be great if we could all discuss it after! :smile: Just wondering, if you both have actually done past papers, how did you find the timing? Were you rushed to get finished or was it ok?

And also where else did you apply? :smile: good luck with your applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mslader

Original post by mslader
I totally agree. Whenever I look at the source questions it gets so deep and I look at the mark scheme and think "how didn't I see that?!" Maybe when we're in there and it's the real thing it'll force us to see better, I always find that with exams

Exactly - I know there are people who are much more academically gifted/ brilliant applying , and in all fairness credit to them for working so hard! If i'm honest I'll be really gutted if I don't even get an interview , but we'll see :smile: Aha yay we've got the same predicted grades ! I'll be off now , need to do a spot of shopping but let me know how you got on :smile:
Reply 138
Original post by Sherlockie
Oh yeah I completely agree! I think it's a great opportunity, but at the same time there are other unis I would be completely happy to go to!

And yeah that would be great if we could all discuss it after! :smile: Just wondering, if you both have actually done past papers, how did you find the timing? Were you rushed to get finished or was it ok?

And also where else did you apply? :smile: good luck with your applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We definitely should! Everyone will have different essays but the source questions should have similar points. I've usually done it within the 2 hours but haven't been super strict on timing myself yet. I find the first two parts of question 1 quite quick to do, so timing it is ok

I applied to Durham, York, Leeds and Birmingham. Got an offer from all and an unconditional from Birmingham! What about you? Good luck x
Reply 139
Original post by Ghazal_
Exactly - I know there are people who are much more academically gifted/ brilliant applying , and in all fairness credit to them for working so hard! If i'm honest I'll be really gutted if I don't even get an interview , but we'll see :smile: Aha yay we've got the same predicted grades ! I'll be off now , need to do a spot of shopping but let me know how you got on :smile:

I would love to go to interview but even to get to that stage is so hard. Good luck to us all. Enjoy! And you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending