The Student Room Group

A level Biology or A level Chemistry?

I was recently told that Woodford county, my top choice of sixth form, is following a new scheme where you can only do 3 subjects at AS as opposed to 4 subjects. I already know that I want to do English literature and Psychology but now its just a matter of deciding between Biology or Chemistry. I am more interested in Biology however I am afraid that not picking Chemistry will close a lot of job opportunities for me. Any help???

Scroll to see replies

Pick the subjects you're most interested in, it's hard to keep up studying something that you don't care for as much.
If you were wanting a career in medicine, dentistry or study biology at university then I'd say you should do chemistry. However if that's not the case then do biology.

A'level chemistry involves a lot of maths and if you don't like maths then don't do chemistry unless you have to. Biology is quite enjoyable.

If you want to do a science degree or medicine etc then drop the English literature and do both Biology and chemistry!
Whichever is closer to your ideal career.
Reply 4
Physics > Chemistry > Biology.
Original post by ubisoft

Chemistry > Physics > Biology in terms of difficulty

Physics > Chemistry > Biology in terms of which science falls under which.
Honestly, having done both I think Biology is the better option, and it compliments psychology better. You also will not lose any opportunities with not having chemistry as it is useless without biology and maths.
Reply 7
Original post by High Stakes

Physics > Chemistry > Biology in terms of which science falls under which.

Chem > Phys? lol
Original post by ubisoft
Chem > Phys? lol

For A level. Hell yeah. Physics is a walk in the park lol.
Reply 9
in terms of difficulty (as someone who does all 3 sciences)
biology>chemistry>physics

in terms of time put in, e.g. isas, revision, homework etc.

in terms of enjoyment (generally among my school)
physics>chemistry>biology

in terms of general usefulness (in uni applications, e.g. the fact that medicine asks for chemistry as a must but biology is only a "preferred" subject)
chemistry>biology(>physics, but if you need physics for the degree you probably wont need bio, maybe chem)

also bear in mind, biology can get INCREDIBLY boring. you have to learn how to sample (quadrats -> look it up) twice, at AS and at A2, whereas in chem and physics you generally move quite quickly so wont get bored on a single topic (you wont spend enough time to get bored)
Reply 10
For A level. Hell yeah. Physics is a walk in the park lol.

Do you do FM?
Being brutally honest here, chemistry is far easier than biology, and chemistry won't consume your life.
Piss to get an A in chemistry than in biology, if you go about revision the right way (which so many of my friends don't.)
I'd advise chemistry.
(Though both are amazing subjects. :biggrin:)
Reply 12
honestly ... if chemistry is not needed for what you wanna do don't do it
if you don't enjoy it, you're not gonna enjoy it at A-level
and it's ****ing hard too (well not as hard as physics but still BLOODY hard)
you're gonna have to put ALOT of effort into it

i'd say do Biology... just because it is 'easier' (yes... i said it - shoot me) and therefore won't take up all of your time
HOWEVER biology is long as hell and if you don't have a good memory then RIP you!
Original post by ubisoft

Original post by kelefi
in terms of difficulty (as someone who does all 3 sciences)

I also did triple science and double maths. I disagree with all of you.
chemistry > biology > physics
It mostly depends how good at maths you are and how good you are at remembering stuff.
Reply 14
Original post by morgan8002
I also did triple science and double maths. I disagree with all of you.
chemistry > biology > physics
It mostly depends how good at maths you are and how good you are at remembering stuff.

Yes that's why I asked if he did FM. Most further mathematicians will generally be better at physics. But I'm talking about what most/the average student feels.
All the comments on which subject easier is purely subjective, not everyone finds difficulties with the same things. You need to check university requirements for the degrees you think you might apply for. If they ask for a subject you'll need to take it otherwise they won't take your application seriously. However, if they don't specify go with what you enjoy not what others think is easier.
Original post by tanyakhnm
I was recently told that Woodford county, my top choice of sixth form, is following a new scheme where you can only do 3 subjects at AS as opposed to 4 subjects. I already know that I want to do English literature and Psychology but now its just a matter of deciding between Biology or Chemistry. I am more interested in Biology however I am afraid that not picking Chemistry will close a lot of job opportunities for me. Any help???

I'd definitely recommend Biology as a) you say you enjoy it more and b) it fits better with your other options (clear link with psychology and if you wanted to take biology further having the essay skills of english lit are great). Do you know what you want to do when you are older or do at university?

Also, no idea why this has turned into a bloody ranking of the sciences. All sciences are just as useful and important as the rest...can people please stop trying to boost their ego in their subject by belittling other perfectly good subjects. It's just stupid and immature.

Original post by Ambitious1999
If you were wanting a career in medicine, dentistry or study biology at university then I'd say you should do chemistry. However if that's not the case then do biology.

If someone wanted to study Biology at university...Biology would be the better A level choice :P
(edited 8 years ago)
Well, since you're only doing 3 AS you're going to have to carry all of them on to A2, right? So it's worth considering what they're like at AS and A2.
This is just my experience of AS + A2 biology, chemistry and physics by the way:
Biology- not tough at AS, just requires a lot of memorisation. A2 is not super tough at the moment, but definitely a lot more memorisation than last year.
Physics- actually not very hard at AS or A2. Weirdly enough, it's my easiest science at the moment XD
Chemistry- AS chemistry is a walk in the park. It's basically just slightly harder GCSE chemistry + some mechanisms. A2 chemistry on the other hand.... SO TOUGH. I'm two months into the A2 chemistry course and I'm pretty much used to leaving lessons not having the slightest clue as to what they were going on about, it's that bad. This is coming from somebody who's always found chemistry ridiculously easy- my username on here is bloody thechemistress for pete's sake XD
So yeah, chemistry is tough. If you're not going to enjoy it, don't do it :h:
Definitely pick biology!! It compliments psychology really well!!!

Chemistry would be useful if you were doing maths or biology as well. I don't think Chemistry on its own opens that many doors tbh. Good luck :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Porcupayne
I don't think Chemistry on its own opens that many doors tbh.

Hahahahahahhhaahaha

Quick Reply

Latest