The Student Room Group

Post interview thank you note?

Would/have you ever sent a thank you email or letter after an interview? A lot of job sites recommend it, but I'm not sure if it's more of an American than British thing. Whilst it does seem like a good way of reiterating your strengths and seeming keen, I wonder if it may come across as a bit too keen. What do you think?
Original post by travelfiend
Would/have you ever sent a thank you email or letter after an interview? A lot of job sites recommend it, but I'm not sure if it's more of an American than British thing. Whilst it does seem like a good way of reiterating your strengths and seeming keen, I wonder if it may come across as a bit too keen. What do you think?
It's a must to send them an email thanking - it's only common courtesy. Don't go overboard and discuss points which you should have raised in the interview; just keep it short and sweet in thanking them for their time to interview you.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
It's a must to send them an email thanking - it's only common courtesy. Don't go overboard and discuss points which you should have raised in the interview; just keep it short and sweet in thanking them for their time to interview you.

Would this apply to university interviews, i.e. medicine or only for job interviews?
Reply 3
Original post by Bupdeeboowah

I assume you have sent thank you notes before? Do you think they've ever helped you get a job?

Original post by qwerty123A
Would this apply to university interviews, i.e. medicine or only for job interviews?

I was referring to job interviews, but I think that I probably would send one after a uni interview.
Original post by qwerty123A
Don't see why it shouldn't! And all the more it will help them remember who they've spoken to earlier in the day!
Original post by travelfiend
I assume you have sent thank you notes before? Do you think they've ever helped you get a job
Yes I have. I don't think they helped me get a job, but then again, I wouldn't know if my emails caused any interviewers to reject me!
It depends on the job really but a brief email expressing thanks and reiterating interest in the position won't do any harm. I work in recruitment and, while it makes little difference to my views about somebody's competency for a position, receiving these kinds of emails does leave a positive impression. It won't mitigate a poor interview though.
Sure why not? If it's highly recommended though, it might become an inoculated standard, and you won't stand out.

But manners cost nothing, and that..is a British thang :hat2: :wink:
I'd never done it before because I was worried I would come across as clingy, but seems it wont hurt if I drop a line after my next one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending