The Student Room Group

I want to do a history degree BUT...

Hi, I'm hoping someone can shine a light on my situation...

I want to apply for a History degree and Durham or St Andrews, I don't know how respected these places are but I know I would certainly enjoy studying there. I LOVE history and really want to do it at degree level, I may want to carry on further study at Phd level but it's hard to say right now.

My problem is what else could I do if I dont want to go down this path? I know about the GDL into law, but are there any other routes to go do down?

I don't want to teach at all!
Bump!
Reply 2
There are other possible careers, I'm pretty sure you could work with archives, in a museum or become a historian...

I want to do history as well, perhaps as a joint and I'm also hoping that there are more career options, so don't worry; you're not the only one!
Original post by TheHistoryphile

I want to apply for a History degree and Durham or St Andrews, I don't know how respected these places are but I know I would certainly enjoy studying there. I LOVE history and really want to do it at degree level, I may want to carry on further study at Phd level but it's hard to say right now.

My problem is what else could I do if I dont want to go down this path? I know about the GDL into law, but are there any other routes to go do down?

The degree structure at St Andrews means you take extra subjects during your first two years, so you may pick up something else that you enjoy and wish to do afterwards (or that would help you get a particular job). Also remember that most graduate schemes etc. require a degree in any subject, so you're by no means limited to just teaching.
Original post by ispyjonnytriff
The degree structure at St Andrews means you take extra subjects during your first two years, so you may pick up something else that you enjoy and wish to do afterwards (or that would help you get a particular job). Also remember that most graduate schemes etc. require a degree in any subject, so you're by no means limited to just teaching.

Hi thankyou for that information, have you done a history degree by any chance? Also, would you say a history degree would be a respected degree in a more corporate environment if I wanted to completely make a switch after university? is this even a possibility? Also, which university is the most respected for History would you say?

I have read mostly about St andrews and Durham? is there another place?

Please and thank you! :smile:
Reply 5
Durham, Exeter and St. Andrews ranks really highly; usually in the top 5 on most league tables.

Why didn't you apply for Oxbridge?
Can you get a finance job with a History degree from a top Uni? Or something where you can make a lot of money with a history degree?

I enjoy history a lot but I'm leaning more towards doing Maths or Economics.
Reply 7
Original post by sam_xox
There are other possible careers, I'm pretty sure you could work with archives, in a museum or become a historian...

I want to do history as well, perhaps as a joint and I'm also hoping that there are more career options, so don't worry; you're not the only one!

You'll need further degrees to work in archives and museums. "Becoming historian" is almost impossible outside Academia.

Two months ago, I applied for a job at the British Museum. It was a 'junior cataloguer' position, paid 19K for 41h/week in Central London. There were something like 200 applicants...

Durham and St Andrews are posh unis and you will be able to find a job non-related to History. If you love History and can go there, do it.

My best advice would be to combine History with a foreign language (French or German preferably). It will make you more employable.
Original post by Josb
You'll need further degrees to work in archives and museums. "Becoming historian" is almost impossible outside Academia.

Two months ago, I applied for a job at the British Museum. It was a 'junior cataloguer' position, paid 19K for 41h/week in Central London. There were something like 200 applicants...

Durham and St Andrews are posh unis and you will be able to find a job non-related to History. If you love History and can go there, do it.

My best advice would be to combine History with a foreign language (French or German preferably). It will make you more employable.

Ah thanks for that, I am actually taking a gap year and was thinking about studying a language A-level in it(and actually learning the language), do you think I should combine them if this is possible. I heard combination degree's were not that credible...I may be wrong :s-smilie:
Original post by somnacin
Durham, Exeter and St. Andrews ranks really highly; usually in the top 5 on most league tables.

Why didn't you apply for Oxbridge?

I think some of my GCSE's would have held me back from Oxbridge.

Original post by Evil Genius
Can you get a finance job with a History degree from a top Uni? Or something where you can make a lot of money with a history degree?

I enjoy history a lot but I'm leaning more towards doing Maths or Economics.

This is what I'm wondering!!!!
:bump:
Reply 11
I heard combination degree's were not that credible...I may be wrong :s-smilie:

Who told you that?

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
:bump:

I thought you were terrible in History?

There are plenty of options open to someone with History- many of the big grad schemes just want a 2:1 or 2:2 degree in any subject and a certain amount of UCAS points (although a few have since waivered these specific requirements)- so business, finance, accounting, the civil service. charity work, are all options open to you when you graduate. What I cannot stress enough though is how important you are- what you bring in terms of work experience gained during your degree- that is crucial, your attitude, general skills like being able to write well/pass the verbal & numerical tests that many grad schemes have as a selection tool.
Original post by Josb

I thought you were terrible in History?

Was, I got a C last year! I'm not now, I got an A on my last couple of essays! things are looking good so far.
History teacher?
Civil service, NGOs, research organisations, charities, diplomacy to name but a few :smile:
Here's a list of careers that people went into after a St Andrews history degree:
Reply 17

Sheffield graduate destination data shows that almost all graduates do not go into any History related jobs, but instead go into finance, marketing and business sector.
Original post by kkboyk
Sheffield graduate destination data shows that almost all graduates do not go into any History related jobs, but instead go into finance, marketing and business sector.

Thank you that's interesting! Very helpful.
If you aren't sure what you want to study at Uni the best advice is ...... wait until you are.

Three or four years of a degree will feel like a life sentence if you don't actually enjoy what you are studying every day. All of the Universities will still be there in 12 months time so there really is no need to rush into a decision if you are not sure.

More TSR advice here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20649-I-want-to-go-to-uni-but-I-dont-know-what-to-study

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending