The Student Room Group

what can i expect in a chemical engineering degree?

like what modules are there? is it mainly mathematical or mainly chemistry based or both?
Reply 1
Original post by blessed107
like what modules are there? is it mainly mathematical or mainly chemistry based or both?

Well Chemical Engineering itself isn't as chemistry-intensive as it sounds. I remember reading that the best way to explain it is to see it as "Mechanical Engineering with a bit of Chemistry". So the modules are usually the applied maths/physics sort of thing (what engineering usually involves) But you would have some other modules on chemistry. Probably not much on organic but more on stuff like reaction rates, equilibrium etc...

by the way I'm just an applicant so I haven't experienced the chemical engineering degree yet lol
Reply 2
Original post by Cosmocos
Well Chemical Engineering itself isn't as chemistry-intensive as it sounds. I remember reading that the best way to explain it is to see it as "Mechanical Engineering with a bit of Chemistry". So the modules are usually the applied maths/physics sort of thing (what engineering usually involves) But you would have some other modules on chemistry. Probably not much on organic but more on stuff like reaction rates, equilibrium etc...

by the way I'm just an applicant so I haven't experienced the chemical engineering degree yet lol

i dont really like physics but i am really good at maths and chemistry. is there a lot of physics i dont really like it
Reply 3
i dont really like physics but i am really good at maths and chemistry. is there a lot of physics i dont really like it

Hmmm what don't you like about physics? I thought I didn't like physics until I got to apply it in the ChemEng field. It links nicely with chemistry and maths :smile:
Reply 4
like the mechanics component involving forces, momentum pressure and also the electricty area involving p.d , voltgae
Reply 5
like the mechanics component involving forces, momentum pressure and also the electricty area involving p.d , voltgae

Ahh fair enough XD Pressure comes up quite often (thermodynamics is a whole subject on its own when doing chemeng lol) I don't really like electricity either. Have you thought of studying just Chemistry then?
Hmmm what don't you like about physics? I thought I didn't like physics until I got to apply it in the ChemEng field. It links nicely with chemistry and maths :smile:

What A levels did you do?
Reply 7
Original post by High Stakes
What A levels did you do?

Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Biology and French
Reply 8
check the modules from a University
Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Biology and French

Would you say that someone who did Chemistry & Maths only would be at a disadvantage when starting ChemEng?
Original post by High Stakes
Would you say that someone who did Chemistry & Maths only would be at a disadvantage when starting ChemEng?

M1 and just an idea of Ideal Gases (pun intended) should be enough to get you started.
M1 and just an idea of Ideal Gases (pun intended) should be enough to get you started.

Thank you! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest