The Student Room Group

GCSEs and Oxbridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChocolateCosmos
What was the rest of your application like???

AAAA AS: maths physics chemistry economics respectively UMS ~84/85% with extenuating circumstances
A*A*AAA: maths chemistry physics economics FM AS (FP1 M1 M2) respectively
Reply 61
Original post by Little Toy Gun
The burden of proof is on the people asserting that they should avoid Oxford.

'...Tutors will also consider your achieved or predicted grades at A-level (or other equivalent qualifications)...Tutors will want to see how you improve your academic performance after your GCSEs and that you do well in your A-levels or other equivalent qualifications.'
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements

Do you /facepalm when your markers ask you to reference when claiming a fact?

---

Now, the question is: Are you helping anyone by making the myth look like a truth?

Well I didn't see you making any references until asked, but thanks for giving the references. And this myth you speak of, can you just define it for me real quick. And it was a /facepalm because you seem to assert that the internet is a gospel of truth.

But one thing I would like to discuss is that everywhere I go on Studentroom I see people flinging around the statement extenuating circumstances, one might think that well... a lot of them are just using it as a scapegoat for doing badly (in their reference frame).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SCalver
Well I didn't see you making any references until asked, but thanks for giving the references. And this myth you speak of, can you just define it for me real quick.

That if you've got bad GCSEs but good a-levels, you should avoid Oxford and apply to Cambridge.

Based on currently available evidence, you can apply to either as long as you've got good a-levels, and if anything, you should apply to Oxford if you have an improvement from your GCSEs.

Original post by SCalver
And it was a /facepalm because you seem to assert that the internet is a gospel of truth.

I tried to be more responsible to look for information myself and I couldn't find any. So I was hoping the people who claimed that could give me evidence, which they have so far all failed to do so.
Reply 63
Original post by Little Toy Gun
That if you've got bad GCSEs but good a-levels, you should avoid Oxford and apply to Cambridge.

Based on currently available evidence, you can apply to either as long as you've got good a-levels, and if anything, you should apply to Oxford if you have an improvement from your GCSEs.

I tried to be more responsible to look for information myself and I couldn't find any. So I was hoping the people who claimed that could give me evidence, which they have so far all failed to do so.

I don't think you should avoid it, but I _think_, I have no proof, that you have a better chance, statistically, at Cambridge (of getting an offer that is, not meeting your offer).
Reply 64
And that's why the Cambridge (and I think Oxford) Admissions Tutors host invaluable threads at various times during the year.
Original post by SCalver

But one thing I would like to discuss is that everywhere I go on Studentroom I see people flinging around the statement extenuating circumstances, one might think that well... a lot of them are just using it as a scapegoat for doing badly (in their reference frame).

True, but some of us have circumstances such as moving schools twice in the six months before your first GCSE exams, the first move to a school which doesn't teach in a language you know, and then having to self-teach your first set of GCSEs whilst you're also starting your A Levels thanks to being mistakenly entered into year 12 instead of 11 by your parents for the second school, and thus sitting your first set of exams whilst you're also having to revise for AS Levels. So your first set of GCSEs went absolutely awfully, to put it lightly.

I mean, I called the admissions team, and they agreed that those were extenuating circumstances :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SCalver
I don't think you should avoid it, but I _think_, I have no proof, that you have a better chance, statistically, at Cambridge (of getting an offer that is, not meeting your offer).

In that case you'd need to first show that Cambridge students do have lower GCSE grades...Is it even a reasonable assumption to begin with?

Unless there's a drastic difference between people's GCSEs and a-levels throughout, with people with higher a-levels, Cambridge should have, if anything, successful candidates with better GCSEs. The only thing from them is that most have 4 As or A*s, which could mean at least it's similar to Oxford's 3 A*s.
Original post by Thediplomat56
AAAA AS: maths physics chemistry economics respectively UMS ~84/85% with extenuating circumstances
A*A*AAA: maths chemistry physics economics FM AS (FP1 M1 M2) respectively

What about in terms of your entry examination/other skills/achievements etc?
Original post by ChocolateCosmos
What about in terms of your entry examination/other skills/achievements etc?

Ummm, done some online courses in single, multi variable calculus and solid state chemistry, did fairly well in physics AS challenge and Cambridge chemistry challenge

Did two weeks of work exp in the chem eng department at bath university

Read two chem eng books

No tests for the course I applied to at the college I applied to.

Nothing special
Original post by Thediplomat56
Ummm, done some online courses in single, multi variable calculus and solid state chemistry, did fairly well in physics AS challenge and Cambridge chemistry challenge

Did two weeks of work exp in the chem eng department at bath university

Read two chem eng books

No tests for the course I applied to at the college I applied to.

Nothing special

I must say that's excellent :biggrin: Admirable :biggrin:
Congratulations !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending