The Student Room Group

This woman turned down a banking job to be a yoga teacher, AWESOME!

I read this and was inspired!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3296549/Cambridge-graduate-triple-turns-banking-job-40-000-salary-teach-yoga.html

Now need to decide what my passion in life is and try to get a job in it!

Nothing but admiration for this girl in the above article. I wish I was as decisive as her! Been bumming around far too long since graduating! :tongue:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Investment Banking is not exactly an easy or pleasant job :erm:
Good for her for choosing to have a life instead of sitting in front of a computer doing dull **** all day.
She awesome geniused it.
I personally worry about turning hobbies into full time work, for me a lot of the enjoyment I get doing something for myself aren't transferable to teaching or are lost when you are dependent on doing it rather than wanting to. But I do applaud anyone with the courage to be able to turn down a good job opportunity to do something they love, and I hope it works for her.
Reply 5
Yeah, good for her, some people may think she's crazy for turning down a well paid job in banking, but I can imagine being a yoga teacher and doing something she enjoys will be a hell of a lot more rewarding and enjoyable than a tedious, soulless banking job.
I don't even like yoga, but I'd still rather be a yoga teacher than an investment banker. At least as a yoga teacher you're likely to have at least some semblance of a life outside of work :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
It just says 'banking job', it doesn't actually specify her actual position. Maybe I have read it wrong, but she was actually offered a position in a top investment bank as an investment banker?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
It just says 'banking job', it doesn't actually specify her actual position. Maybe I have read it wrong, but she was actually offered a position in a top investment bank as an investment banker?

Investment banking is a banking job... what is your point? (Not being catty, I just really don't understand what you're trying to say)
Original post by arcenciel21
Investment banking is a banking job... what is your point? (Not being catty, I just really don't understand what you're trying to say)

It just said 'banking' job, I just wanted to know if it specified the position she was offered in the firm, nevermind, I was just curious.
Original post by dean01234
I personally worry about turning hobbies into full time work, for me a lot of the enjoyment I get doing something for myself aren't transferable to teaching or are lost when you are dependent on doing it rather than wanting to. But I do applaud anyone with the courage to be able to turn down a good job opportunity to do something they love, and I hope it works for her.

I find that sort of thinking strange... surely, even if you come to hate your hobby through your job, you will still not hate it as much as any other job which doesn't involve your hobby.
If she enjoys it then why not? I'm sorry but I feel like this is to call out those in IB and those aspiring...
Well done!

Long yoga mats and tampons short London property.
What's so inspiring? It just means that she'll marry a rich guy rather than work for the money herself.
Reply 14
I wouldn't put up with the stress of being an investment banker for 40k either.. where's my newspaper exclusive?

She's 23, hardly like she's actually given up much at that age. If she gets bored of yoga she can easily move on to something else.
Probably comes from a rich family so doesn't have to worry about money.
Original post by Reue
I wouldn't put up with the stress of being an investment banker for 40k either.. where's my newspaper exclusive?

She's 23, hardly like she's actually given up much at that age. If she gets bored of yoga she can easily move on to something else.

Exactly lol
Original post by arcenciel21
I find that sort of thinking strange... surely, even if you come to hate your hobby through your job, you will still not hate it as much as any other job which doesn't involve your hobby.

Not necessarily, I know a few people who have given up on their dream job to go back to city work because it wasn't for them in the end.

Your job doesn't equal your life, and sure I might enjoy teaching skiing more than working in an office (even if I came to enjoy it less) but it would mean compromising other areas of my life. Money for travelling, location would limit ability to practise other hobbies, proximity to family and friends, ability to support a family.

For me I couldn't make the sacrifices to do something that I hated a bit less than an office job.
Good for her. Although I work for a bank and it is a pretty awesome job.
This isn't impressive. I've been paid to drink cocktails with investment bankers. That was impressive.

There's real skill to composure aka being just tipsy enough but not gone completely. Did I mention I was expected to hoi-poloi AND look good AND know what I was talking about? Highlight of my career right there!

By the time the champers and spirits were brought out I was struggling but the top boss said I handled myself very well and rewarded me with more vodka and a kebab. I remember very little after that. Even the next day was a blur but there was posh coffee, ibuprofen and a bacon roll before another event.

I went out the following evening with one of the photographers and there was also a guy from the music industry thrown in there somewhere. Total Blur. The weekend that it is - not that band although I probably wouldn't remember either way.

Reckon HR would hire me based on that?

Quick Reply

Latest