The Student Room Group

Do you agree with the death penalty?

Poll

Do you agree with the death Penalty?

yes or no? and why

i think for the most serious rapists, murders and paedophiles and special crimes which are truly revolting, we should bring it back
but ONLY on the most serious cases such as the woman who flushed her new born baby down the toilet. The killer of Le-Rigby as examples

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i don't think so...
i mean - i just don't think we as humans have the right to play with other humans' lives

but i do think life should mean life
No. There's no evidence it's an effective deterrent and thus serves no purpose other than that of primitive, bloodthirsty revenge.

Moreover, it is deeply hypocritical. Teaching that crimes like murder and rape are wrong by murdering (executing) someone defeats the entire purpose of trying to eradicate these behaviours. Two wrongs don't make a right, not now and not ever, as history has aptly shown.
Reply 3
Original post by z33
i don't think so...
i mean - i just don't think we as humans have the right to play with other humans' lives

but i do think life should mean life

but why should the tax payer pay for them to have very easy lives?
Reply 4
No. In a world with an imperfect legal system the cost of executing even a single innocent person far outweighs any benefit.

Justice should be about rehabilitation not just about punishment.

The death penalty implemented by a state is just murder by another name.
Yes. All infidels need to be killed.
Reply 6
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No. There's no evidence it's an effective deterrent and thus serves no purpose other than that of primitive, bloodthirsty revenge.

Moreover, it is deeply hypocritical. Teaching that crimes like murder and rape are wrong by murdering (executing) someone defeats the entire purpose of trying to eradicate these behaviours. Two wrongs don't make a right, not now and not ever, as history has aptly shown.

Original post by DrID
No. In a world with an imperfect legal system the cost of executing even a single innocent person far outweighs any benefit.

Justice should be about rehabilitation not just about punishment.

The death penalty implemented by a state is just murder by another name.

both make valid points so +1
Reply 7
I think it depends on the circumstances.

I'm 99% sure that the majority of you objecting to the death penalty would change your minds in an instant if someone murdered one of your parents, siblings, etc.
I personally don't agree with the death penalty. The main reason is that it obviously has no effect: murder/rape etc. happens every day and will sadly continue to happen every day it seems despite death sentences having been given to people for committing these exact crimes. In fact, I think a life long sentence is more effective, as people have to live with what they have done; they don't get an easy escape (death). Yes, there is the pain that comes with it, but will the death of the criminal bring back the victim?

No.
Reply 9
Original post by saxsan4
but why should the tax payer pay for them to have very easy lives?

that's also true tbh - but i don't think they should be KILLED maybe something like waterboard them or something? definitely not make it a fun or easy experience... but i don't know if we should END their lives...

they- as humans - have the right to live, and also some of the convicted may be innocent... it has happened in the past

and it doesn't deter from crimes - in fact states in the US that had the death penalty in place had higher rates of those crimes being committed than other states
Reply 10
Original post by z33
that's also true tbh - but i don't think they should be KILLED maybe something like waterboard them or something? definitely not make it a fun or easy experience... but i don't know if we should END their lives...

they- as humans - have the right to live, and also some of the convicted may be innocent... it has happened in the past

and it doesn't deter from crimes - in fact states in the US that had the death penalty in place had higher rates of those crimes being committed than other states

YESS torture them instead actually!

i actually cant even not think about that poor child who was flushed down the toilet. it makes me sick to the stomach
Original post by Kaeden
I think it depends on the circumstances.

I'm 99% sure that the majority of you objecting to the death penalty would change your minds in an instant if someone murdered one of your parents, siblings, etc.

I highly doubt it. Maybe in the initial moments of rage and despair, but I personally would never make such a decision while clouded with such emotional trauma.
Reply 12
Original post by saxsan4
YESS torture them instead actually!

i actually cant even not think about that poor child who was flushed down the toilet. it makes me sick to the stomach

yeah why would you give them an easy exit haha that's so merciful

yeah that poor kid - i didn't click on the thread because i was like no i can't deal with this

awh omg did the kid die? ugh poor thing :frown: :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by z33
yeah why would you give them an easy exit haha that's so merciful

yeah that poor kid - i didn't click on the thread because i was like no i can't deal with this

awh omg did the kid die? ugh poor thing :frown: :frown:

worse, the child is deaf, nearly blind and has brain damage
No.

There is always a risk of getting the wrong person. Never mind this "oh, we'll only use it for cases where there is no doubt" nonsense - we're supposed to have that level of certainty already even without the death penalty, and people still get wrongfully convicted on occasion. Introduce it for "no doubt" cases and at some point it will end up being used for cases where there is some doubt. There is no such thing as an infallible justice system.
Reply 15
Original post by saxsan4
worse, the child is dead, nearly blind and has brain damage

holy **** omg awhhhhhh that is ****ing disgusting i can't
how ****ing dare she - give them away or ****ing leave them at the door of some old lady or something ANYTHING why would you ****ing flush them down the toilet!

now they're gonna live a life of suffering and difficulty all because of the actions of one sick twisted ****ing piece of **** scum that selfishly decided she would put an end to another life

mental health issues my ass i don't ****ing care if she has issues or has been raped that's no excuse to flush a human being down the toilet - she had MANY other options - instead decided to kill it

wow
Reply 16
Original post by RFowler
No.

There is always a risk of getting the wrong person. Never mind this "oh, we'll only use it for cases where there is no doubt" nonsense - we're supposed to have that level of certainty already even without the death penalty, and people still get wrongfully convicted on occasion. Introduce it for "no doubt" cases and at some point it will end up being used for cases where there is some doubt. There is no such thing as an infallible justice system.

Killers of le rigby, 100% sure who killed him
Let's just leave the death penalty to the backward Islamic States
Reply 18
Original post by z33
holy **** omg awhhhhhh that is ****ing disgusting i can't
how ****ing dare she - give them away or ****ing leave them at the door of some old lady or something ANYTHING why would you ****ing flush them down the toilet!

now they're gonna live a life of suffering and difficulty all because of the actions of one sick twisted ****ing piece of **** scum that selfishly decided she would put an end to another life

mental health issues my ass i don't ****ing care if she has issues or has been raped that's no excuse to flush a human being down the toilet - she had MANY other options - instead decided to kill it

wow

This is my reaction and i just cant imagine what the childs life is now like.
Reply 19
Original post by saxsan4
This is my reaction and i just cant imagine what the childs life is now like.

tbh if i was the kid, with my personality, i'd commit suicide probably! (later in life obviously)

hopefully they're a bright shining star that will go on to be successful and live life to the fullest and be happy and put this all behind them

ugh it's the brain damage that gets to me like - they're probably not even going to understand anything or what is happening to them they're just gonna live 100% dependent on other people and will suffer abuse and awhhhhh

my heart is literally breaking this is worse than if they just died in my opinion

Quick Reply

Latest