The Student Room Group

How much do your parents pay towards uni?

Hi, so I was wondering is it most common for parents to pay accommodation and living costs and the student to get a loan for fees? What do you do? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by FlyingBird
Hi, so I was wondering is it most common for parents to pay accommodation and living costs and the student to get a loan for fees? What do you do? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

My parents not only paid £0 towards my university expenses.. they also decided to move abroad whilst I was there effectively leaving me homeless for the holidays and upon graduation.
My parents will lend me money if I need it, but my University education is mine and therefore mine to pay for. That's why it is not fair that parent's income is taken into account in how much in loans you get - it assumes that your parents will pay for some of the fees.
Original post by FlyingBird

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh its most common for students to have to take out all the money they are eligible for and then have to work to make up the shortfall or be very careful with money. I was fortunate in that my parents gave me some money which topped up the amount I recieved from my maintenance loan so I didn't have to work or worry about money but I was definitley in the minority.
My parents paid everything and more all up to my master's, and I also earned money outside of my studies throughout.

I didn't take out a loan.
£0, in fact I often have to help out my mum with my student loan and grant. But it's okay, I budgeted it in.
Original post by Reue
My parents not only paid £0 towards my university expenses.. they also decided to move abroad whilst I was there effectively leaving me homeless for the holidays and upon graduation.

Hilarious.
Original post by SophieSmall
£0, in fact I often have to help out my mum with my student loan and grant. But it's okay, I budgeted it in.

That is certainly commendable and if Karma exists you deserve a freaking tonne of the positive variety. But the fact your mum has to rely on her daughter to help her out with her student loan income says a lot about the crummy aspects of the society we live in.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
That is certainly commendable and if Karma exists you deserve a freaking tonne of the positive variety. But the fact your mum has to rely on her daughter to help her out with her student loan income says a lot about the crummy aspects of the society we live in.

Meh, **** happens and lately I've been trying to focus on the positives...there aren't many. But at the moment I can't wait for Christmas, I went all out this year and can't wait to give the presents, especially to my mum. I got her so much stuff. Especially clothes, she can never afford to get anything for herself which leads to her not taking much care of herself...so I bought her a whole new wardrobe (not a literal wardrobe).
Mine paid none for my sister, I reckon the same will happen to me also. :u:

Thank god I have a savings account and a financially stable sister who swears she'll back me if anything goes financially wrong :lol:
Reply 10

The £0 club :/
Mine bought me a load of stuff for moving up to uni and bought my bus fare the odd time.

I think my brother got a bit more help than I did, but he needed it as he didn't get a job until he graduated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Same here actually o.O

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending