The Student Room Group

Passed my driving test and struggling to adapt to my new car.

Hi all,

I passed my driving test on Monday and I took my first drive this evening with my dad - was all going relatively fine until I reached a busy roundabout and I stalled, panicked and then ended up burning my clutch out slightly and had to get my dad to take over.

It was horrendous and now my confidence has been knocked. I learnt in a diesel and rarely stalled and I'm now in a 1.2 petrol car and the biting point/amount the clutch needs to be raised is just so different to the car that I learned in.

Any advice for adjusting to a new car?
Give it more gas than you did in the diesel would be my initial advice. Diesels have more torque at lower RPMs and thus need less gas than a petrol does to get moving. I assume you've got used to setting off with low RPMs and petrols tend to struggle to do that. This also means that diesels tend to be less picky about clutch control.

At least that's what I believe it is, adjusting to the biting point of a new car is usually easy and you'll pick up it after about 10 mins or so.

It's a pet peeve of mine really, instructors use 'big' (not massively big, usually 1.6l) diesels knowing full well that most students will end up with a 1.0-1.4l petrol but only teach them how to drive diesels properly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ahh, yes, the old "learns to drive in a diesel, therefore has no idea how to drive a small petrol engine" scenario. I think teaching in a diesel engine should be made illegal.

You need to tickle the accelerator to provide the same amount of power to the clutch that a diesel engine would normally already provide to it. If you have a rev counter, 1500rpm on flat ground will be enough juice to get things going. You'll eventually develop a feel for it, but for now use your rev counter to ensure you've applied enough power before engaging the clutch as normal.
Reply 3
Original post by TheMcSame
Give it more gas than you did in the diesel would be my initial advice. Diesels have more torque at lower RPMs and thus need less gas than a petrol does to get moving. I assume you've got used to setting off with low RPMs and petrols tend to struggle to do that. This also means that diesels tend to be less picky about clutch control.

At least that's what I believe it is, adjusting to the biting point of a new car is usually easy and you'll pick up it after about 10 mins or so.

It's a pet peeve of mine really, instructors use 'big' (not massively big, usually 1.6l) diesels knowing full well that most students will end up with a 1.0-1.4l petrol but only teach them how to drive diesels properly.

Thanks for the advice. So would you set the gas before raising the clutch at all? My instructors car was so easy to drive - barely needed any gas to set off even on a hill start and it was so much more forgiving.
Reply 4
Original post by WoodyMKC
Ahh, yes, the old "learns to drive in a diesel, therefore has no idea how to drive a small petrol engine" scenario. I think teaching in a diesel engine should be made illegal.

You need to tickle the accelerator to provide the same amount of power to the clutch that a diesel engine would normally already provide to it. If you have a rev counter, 1500rpm on flat ground will be enough juice to get things going. You'll eventually develop a feel for it, but for now use your rev counter to ensure you've applied enough power before engaging the clutch as normal.

From the sounds of it - this is a pretty common situation! I've got a lot of friends who learned in a diesel and struggled.

Okay, thanks for the advice! So set the gas before engaging the clutch in that case?
Original post by Samus2
So set the gas before engaging the clutch in that case?

Exactly it mate :wink: It's just a case of re-learning, once you're used to it you won't even think about it.
good advice given here, yeah in a nutshell, you gotta rev more with a petrol engine.

When I switched from learning in a diesel to driving a petrol after I passed my test, I found it really hard to adjust, but once your learn from your mistakes with the clutch, then you will get used to it.

I now enjoy driving the petrol engine for some reason !
Original post by Samus2
Hi all,

I passed my driving test on Monday and I took my first drive this evening with my dad - was all going relatively fine until I reached a busy roundabout and I stalled, panicked and then ended up burning my clutch out slightly and had to get my dad to take over.

It was horrendous and now my confidence has been knocked. I learnt in a diesel and rarely stalled and I'm now in a 1.2 petrol car and the biting point/amount the clutch needs to be raised is just so different to the car that I learned in.

Hi! don't feel bad, it happens. Just follow these procedures:
1) Shift into first gear, step slightly on your accelerator pedal until the rpm needle hits 1300-1500.
2)Maintain your accelerator pedal at 1500, and let the clutch go slightly until you feel the vehicle is moving. Then release you clutch fully and press your accelerator a little bit more. Follow the antagonistic movement like, releasing the clutch, pressing the accelerator pedal at the same moment and vice versa :smile:
Reply 8
Just as you feel the biting point on the clutch apply some throttle good luck. and **** petrol anyway diesels are way better.
Original post by Samus2
Hi all,

Oh man, I remember when I first passed and was mega excited to get into my parents car when it finally got insured.

Took my dad around the block and added a few grey hairs to him I think. I was atrocious and it knocked my confidence too. I pulled up on a hill and nearly rolled back into the car behind. Oops.

It happens. Go out for a drive when you know it'll be a bit quieter (I went for a night drive) just to get used to the feel of the car and get my confidence up a bit.

Even now, I bought a new car a few months ago which has a much more touchy accelerator compared to my previous one. I revved it like mental for the first few trips, it just took getting used to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending