The Student Room Group

Good intentions? bad decision?

For A-levels I am thinking of taking Maths, Physics, Biology, and History but every time someone asks and I tell them that they inhale sharply and act like its alien.
If you feel you can do them - DO THEM
Reply 2
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
If you feel you can do them - DO THEM

I feel I can because I love all of them but part of me thinks if I don't want to progress with them is it worth stressing over them for 2 years to then forget about the subject completely ?
Original post by tsrabby
I feel I can because I love all of them but part of me thinks if I don't want to progress with them is it worth stressing over them for 2 years to then forget about the subject completely ?

I say you do the subjects you enjoy and those that are going to open up career paths in the future, if all of them are too much you could always drop one mid-way if you wanted.
What career do you want to go into?
Reply 4
As a year 13 student my advice is don't do a 'hard' subject if you don't need it for your course - there is no point

people do maths, physics, chemistry, biology to get into medicine but you're just as likely to get in with chemistry, biology, geography and sociology

because lets be honest it's 'easier' to get all As in the second choice of subjects than the first

i know people are like do it if you enjoy it but trust me that will change hahaha

ALWAYS take the easy route to your career - that's all i gotta say haha
Reply 5
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
I say you do the subjects you enjoy and those that are going to open up career paths in the future, if all of them are too much you could always drop one mid-way if you wanted.
What career do you want to go into?

I'm torn between business(my dads influence probably) and architecture but I guess they interlink
Reply 6
Original post by z33
As a year 13 student my advice is don't do a 'hard' subject if you don't need it for your course - there is no point

people do maths, physics, chemistry, biology to get into medicine but you're just as likely to get in with chemistry, biology, geography and sociology

because lets be honest it's 'easier' to get all As in the second choice of subjects than the first

i know people are like do it if you enjoy it but trust me that will change hahaha

ALWAYS take the easy route to your career - that's all i gotta say haha

that makes a lot of sense actually haha, because I don't really need history or biology to do a business course in uni and I'm sure I would probably be accepted for an architecture course with maths and physics, I guess my dad wants me to do biology because he did biomedical science in uni and he knows I like science but the wrong one in his eyes, I'm not sure eek, the fact I have to apply for places before Christmas or January or whatever makes me nervous too
Reply 7
Original post by tsrabby
that makes a lot of sense actually haha, because I don't really need history or biology to do a business course in uni and I'm sure I would probably be accepted for an architecture course with maths and physics, I guess my dad wants me to do biology because he did biomedical science in uni and he knows I like science but the wrong one in his eyes, I'm not sure eek, the fact I have to apply for places before Christmas or January or whatever makes me nervous too

awh well i didn't do history but i heard it's really hard at A-level i mean you're gonna be writing loads of essays and idk if you really love history go for it but be prepared to work hard!

i did biology computing chemistry and physics - i came out with BBCC
i found bio to be the easiest science. you can't really take physics to A2 without maths - i mean you can try haha but it's gonna be really hard. I got a C (literally a miracle because i had no idea what was happening all year - got Us in class tests) at AS and I dropped it.

Chemistry - is hard. Like it's hard, but i don't think it's as hard as physics. You have to have your GCSE knowledge solidified if you wanna do Chemistry because it will come back to get ya! My GCSE knowledge is ****e because i don't remember anything and it was so rushed and crammed - but I'm paying the price right now AT A2 because I had to spend my half term re-learning my GCSE chemistry! (which i haven't done lol)

Biology - easiest science BY FAR. I got 92% ums in unit 1 just by doing notes and posters like a month before the exam. Obviously then i got a D in unit 2 and brought it down to a B but lets pretend that didn't happen. I hate biology though it's the worst science ever ugh i don't even know why it's considered a science in itself (sorry to anyone i offended haha) i just really don't like it but i had to do it for what i want to do! Even with all that hatred towards bio, i still managed to do decently haha.

so yeah if you don't need a science to do what you wanna do, but you WANT to do a science to open up more doors take biology. It's the easiest and if you wanna do history you want the easiest science - you don't wanna be doing 4 really challenging subjects. in fact if you were doing business at uni i suggest:

economics (mathsy - they like that), geography (or history just geography fits in better haha and it's easier lol ), sociology (for something more 'people' based because i imagine you wanna work with people? and it's essay based so shows off your writing skills), and ICT (or Biology if you really want it but ICT is easy and develops your computer skills which i'm sure will come handy in business)

at the end of the day it's your choice haha - that's what I would've chosen for ME if i wanted to do business because those subjects will get me there and aren't as challenging. Also there's business A-level so you might consider swapping geography or sociology for that but yeah!

good luck with whatever you do! that was my 2 cents on it haha :tongue: you could just throw it all away and do whatever you want lol that's just what i think :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by z33
awh well i didn't do history but i heard it's really hard at A-level i mean you're gonna be writing loads of essays and idk if you really love history go for it but be prepared to work hard!

i did biology computing chemistry and physics - i came out with BBCC
i found bio to be the easiest science. you can't really take physics to A2 without maths - i mean you can try haha but it's gonna be really hard. I got a C (literally a miracle because i had no idea what was happening all year - got Us in class tests) at AS and I dropped it.

Chemistry - is hard. Like it's hard, but i don't think it's as hard as physics. You have to have your GCSE knowledge solidified if you wanna do Chemistry because it will come back to get ya! My GCSE knowledge is ****e because i don't remember anything and it was so rushed and crammed - but I'm paying the price right now AT A2 because I had to spend my half term re-learning my GCSE chemistry! (which i haven't done lol)

Biology - easiest science BY FAR. I got 92% ums in unit 1 just by doing notes and posters like a month before the exam. Obviously then i got a D in unit 2 and brought it down to a B but lets pretend that didn't happen. I hate biology though it's the worst science ever ugh i don't even know why it's considered a science in itself (sorry to anyone i offended haha) i just really don't like it but i had to do it for what i want to do! Even with all that hatred towards bio, i still managed to do decently haha.

so yeah if you don't need a science to do what you wanna do, but you WANT to do a science to open up more doors take biology. It's the easiest and if you wanna do history you want the easiest science - you don't wanna be doing 4 really challenging subjects. in fact if you were doing business at uni i suggest:

economics (mathsy - they like that), geography (or history just geography fits in better haha and it's easier lol ), sociology (for something more 'people' based because i imagine you wanna work with people? and it's essay based so shows off your writing skills), and ICT (or Biology if you really want it but ICT is easy and develops your computer skills which i'm sure will come handy in business)

at the end of the day it's your choice haha - that's what I would've chosen for ME if i wanted to do business because those subjects will get me there and aren't as challenging. Also there's business A-level so you might consider swapping geography or sociology for that but yeah!

good luck with whatever you do! that was my 2 cents on it haha :tongue: you could just throw it all away and do whatever you want lol that's just what i think :biggrin:

Yeah, that's so thorough thankyou, I think I've just decided to drop history for business, I think I will keep maths and maybe take physics or biology but I think I need to have a sit down and really think about what I like to do and make a definite decision on what course I want to do in uni because I don't want to take irrelevant and difficult alevels if I'm not going to benefit from them. I mean whats the worst that could happen eh? haha
Reply 9
Original post by tsrabby
Yeah, that's so thorough thankyou, I think I've just decided to drop history for business, I think I will keep maths and maybe take physics or biology but I think I need to have a sit down and really think about what I like to do and make a definite decision on what course I want to do in uni because I don't want to take irrelevant and difficult alevels if I'm not going to benefit from them. I mean whats the worst that could happen eh? haha

yeah haha just give it some good thought
if you are unsure about what you wanna do take varied subjects
if you ARE sure take subjects specific to that course

i know you're probably freaking out etc etc but tbh don't worry. I thought physics was quite cool and with a good teacher and some tuition you CAN get an A especially if you're very mathsy. Just remember that even if you get straight UUUU there are STILL back up plans, you can retake in some other school with different subjects if you realise those subjects aren't for you. There are soooo many other paths that all lead to the same ending, so just cos this one doesn't work out it's not the end of the world!

just YOLO it and if it's not for you, there's another way so don't worry :smile:

good luck :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by z33
yeah haha just give it some good thought
if you are unsure about what you wanna do take varied subjects
if you ARE sure take subjects specific to that course

i know you're probably freaking out etc etc but tbh don't worry. I thought physics was quite cool and with a good teacher and some tuition you CAN get an A especially if you're very mathsy. Just remember that even if you get straight UUUU there are STILL back up plans, you can retake in some other school with different subjects if you realise those subjects aren't for you. There are soooo many other paths that all lead to the same ending, so just cos this one doesn't work out it's not the end of the world!

just YOLO it and if it's not for you, there's another way so don't worry :smile:

good luck :biggrin:

thank you so much for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest