The Student Room Group

FP1 Complex Numbers

My problem has been solved.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chemistryboi
another method that is more efficient

Consider the arg of 1+i, and what happens when you to the arg when you raise the number to the power of 4.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ghostwalker
Consider the arg of 1+i, and what happens when you to the arg when you raise the number to the power of 4.

im not sure, i^4 is equal to 1. I am without a clue on this :frown:
im not sure, i^4 is equal to 1. I am without a clue on this :frown:

Ok, have you come across "arg", or the format reiθre^{i\theta} for a complex number?
Ok, have you come across "arg", or the format reiθre^{i\theta} for a complex number?

I have not come across that format, my understanding of the argument is the angle (usually called theta) in radians measured anticlockwise from y=0 to the line Z
I have not come across that format, my understanding of the argument is the angle (usually called theta) in radians measured anticlockwise from y=0 to the line Z

:holmes: How about the cosθ+isinθ\cos\theta +i\sin\theta format, and what happens when you raise it to a power?
:holmes: How about the cosθ+isinθ\cos\theta +i\sin\theta format, and what happens when you raise it to a power?

I don't know where I have gotten this idea from but does it rotate? As in change quadrant but with a different angle

This is an FP2 formula.

Hi TSR
hence show that ((2+3i)/(5+i))^4 is real and determine its value.

You know what (2+3i)/(5+i) simplifies to, just raise that to the power 4. I.E (lambda(1+i))^4 = (lambda)^4(1+i)^4
I don't know where I have gotten this idea from but does it rotate? As in change quadrant but with a different angle

It does "rotate". When you multply two complex numbers together you sum their angles, so to speak.

But since you've not come across these format yet (they are covered at A-level). I suggest substitute your expression λ(1+i)\lambda (1+i), and square it, and square it again, to get the fourth power. After the first squaring, it will be a simpler format.

Thank you for helping me out on this one. I greatly appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest