The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Help guys, is there anyone facing this problem?
I've received an email from college about written work, interviews and further admission process etc., and I replied to the admission tutor, asking whether there are some specific topics that I need to talk about in written work. I asked that the evening I received an email from the college (it was approximately a week ago) and they still haven't replied! I have two schoolwork that I think I would want to submit but I am not sure if there are specific requirements. I'm afraid I will make a mistake and be rejected. :frown: Please, if anyone already knows anything related to written work requirements, please share your knowledge! I'm becoming really desperate. :frown:
Original post by Nancy97
Help guys, is there anyone facing this problem?
I've received an email from college about written work, interviews and further admission process etc., and I replied to the admission tutor, asking whether there are some specific topics that I need to talk about in written work. I asked that the evening I received an email from the college (it was approximately a week ago) and they still haven't replied! I have two schoolwork that I think I would want to submit but I am not sure if there are specific requirements. I'm afraid I will make a mistake and be rejected. :frown: Please, if anyone already knows anything related to written work requirements, please share your knowledge! I'm becoming really desperate. :frown:

Hi there ! Check your course's page and look at the "written work" section, you have instructions. If you still can't figure out, message me with your course and I'll look it up.
Original post by tamara98
Hi there ! Check your course's page and look at the "written work" section, you have instructions. If you still can't figure out, message me with your course and I'll look it up.

Hi, Tamara. I searched the site of Pembroke college but it says nothing particular about the written work. I've also looked up at Oxford website and found how to apply for my course (Oriental studies) and found this "The particular topic of your essay and the A-level (or equivalent) subject from which it is drawn are not important; it is intended to show how you construct an argument and express your ideas in English".
And now, since I'm and international student and my written works are written in my mother tongue, it says this (on the same link about application for Oriental studies): If you do not have any recent marked work written in English (for example, because of the combination of subjects you are currently studying), you may submit a separate piece of work, such as an essay in English on one of the topics you have been studying for your A-level (or equivalent).
However, on the official page for written work (section 'Undergraduate studies' -> Applying to Oxford ->Written work) it says: All written work must be in English (except where required for Modern Languages). International students whose work is in a language other than English are asked to submit both the original work and their own translation into English.

Which means, in the end, that each piece of my written work has to have a cover sheet, written work in mother tongue and the one translated in English, I suppose. It's really confusing, but I don't want to make a mistake related to technical issues. :/
Hi everyone. I'm freaking out a little bit because I've applied for Law at Oxford, and they require the LNAT. One of the other universities I applied to, Bristol, have just emailed me telling me they can't trace my LNAT account and have requested for my LNAT ID and when I took the exam which I've already emailed to them. I had put in my UCAS Personal ID into my LNAT account so I don't know what could have gone wrong?!

I'm worried because Oxford specifically said on their email that if I don't take the LNAT by the 20th October, I would be rejected. I took the LNAT in September but I'm worried that they wouldn't have been able to trace my LNAT account either and it's way past the deadline now! I've sent them an email as well with all my details in case but I'm still slightly worried that it puts me in a bad position :frown:
Original post by IzzySaskia
Received an acknowledgement from Pembroke yesterday :smile:

Wow, you're the first Pembroke applicant I've seen here. :biggrin:
I've also been allocated to Pembroke, and I've received an email from an admission tutor about written work. What did you apply for? :biggrin:
Original post by se123888
Keble! How about you?

Same!
Original post by ranayounis
Hi everyone. I'm freaking out a little bit because I've applied for Law at Oxford, and they require the LNAT. One of the other universities I applied to, Bristol, have just emailed me telling me they can't trace my LNAT account and have requested for my LNAT ID and when I took the exam which I've already emailed to them. I had put in my UCAS Personal ID into my LNAT account so I don't know what could have gone wrong?!

When it asked you to select your LNAT unis, did you select Bristol? You can log back into your LNAT account at any time before the deadline and select it again :smile:

I'm worried because Oxford specifically said on their email that if I don't take the LNAT by the 20th October, I would be rejected. I took the LNAT in September but I'm worried that they wouldn't have been able to trace my LNAT account either and it's way past the deadline now! I've sent them an email as well with all my details in case but I'm still slightly worried that it puts me in a bad position :frown:

As long as you sat it before the deadline, entered your UCAS ID correctly, and selected Oxford as one of your choices on your LNAT account, you should be fine - it's all electronic and secure and does it automatically. Did you sit you LNAT before or after sending off your UCAS?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by connieiscrazy
When it asked you to select your LNAT unis, did you select Bristol? You can log back into your LNAT account at any time before the deadline and select it again :smile:

As long as you sat it before the deadline, entered your UCAS ID correctly, and selected Oxford as one of your choices on your LNAT account, you should be fine - it's all electronic and secure and does it automatically. Did you sit you LNAT before or after sending off your UCAS?

Yes I did select Bristol, and Oxford as well as the other LNAT uni I'm applying to, Nottingham. And I just checked and my UCAS ID is correct as well. And I sat it before on the 9th September and sent off my UCAS 12th October.
Original post by Nancy97
Hi, Tamara. I searched the site of Pembroke college but it says nothing particular about the written work. I've also looked up at Oxford website and found how to apply for my course (Oriental studies) and found this "The particular topic of your essay and the A-level (or equivalent) subject from which it is drawn are not important; it is intended to show how you construct an argument and express your ideas in English".
And now, since I'm and international student and my written works are written in my mother tongue, it says this (on the same link about application for Oriental studies): If you do not have any recent marked work written in English (for example, because of the combination of subjects you are currently studying), you may submit a separate piece of work, such as an essay in English on one of the topics you have been studying for your A-level (or equivalent).
However, on the official page for written work (section 'Undergraduate studies' -> Applying to Oxford ->Written work) it says: All written work must be in English (except where required for Modern Languages). International students whose work is in a language other than English are asked to submit both the original work and their own translation into English.

Which means, in the end, that each piece of my written work has to have a cover sheet, written work in mother tongue and the one translated in English, I suppose. It's really confusing, but I don't want to make a mistake related to technical issues. :/

From what I've understood, the topic doesn't matter as long as the essay shows how you construct your ideas in English. And when they say "If you do not have any recent marked work written in English (for example, because of the combination of subjects you are currently studying)", it means if you're not taking English as a subject for your final exams.
Where are you from if I may ask ? :P
Yes I did select Bristol, and Oxford as well as the other LNAT uni I'm applying to, Nottingham. And I just checked and my UCAS ID is correct as well. And I sat it before on the 9th September and sent off my UCAS 12th October.

I got an email from Kings (3 days ago) asking for the LNAT ID the same, and i asked if my application hadnt linked properly etc but they said it was just to make sure they had everyone's in case there were any issues.

Also, according the the LNAT website, the first batch of results have only gone out recently to the universities for early test takers -

"Starting on 21 October, the first batch of LNAT scores (tests taken between 1 September to 20 October) are released to the universities. After that date, within 24 hours of finishing your LNAT, Pearson VUE will make your LNAT score and essay available to your chosen university or universities. They will see your score before you do."

So i wouldn't worry about it as they may have only just received the results anyway, and besides, if your other LNAT unis haven't asked i think it'll be fine :smile:
Original post by tamara98
From what I've understood, the topic doesn't matter as long as the essay shows how you construct your ideas in English. And when they say "If you do not have any recent marked work written in English (for example, because of the combination of subjects you are currently studying)", it means if you're not taking English as a subject for your final exams.
Where are you from if I may ask ? :P

True, I have come to the exact same conclusion, but i had to double-check just in case. :biggrin: Oh well, then I have two school essays to submit, thank God.
I'm from Serbia. What about you? :biggrin:

I've had the email too. Everyone I know who's also applied for Bristol Law has also had the same email, so I think they send it out to everyone to just check that they have the right info etc and that everything is in order
GCSE grades: 5A*s 4As
A -levels - Predicted 43 for IB
Course: English
College: University College

It's peculiar that Bristol said they hadn't received your LNAT then. Even though I didn't apply there, you've got me paranoid now that my unis haven't received my LNAT results lmao

hi, just wondering if there is an ELAT thread too? if you know of it, could you paste the link pls? sry! x
Original post by georgiaf
hi, just wondering if there is an ELAT thread too? if you know of it, could you paste the link pls? sry! x

Idk any I'm afraid but check the previous years threads, they will be just as useful!
Original post by antigone-
Idk any I'm afraid but check the previous years threads, they will be just as useful!

Np thanks anyway! :smile:
Good luck to everyone doing the ELAT. May the odds be ever in your favour. :shakehand:
Original post by Kaddy_Dee
Good luck to everyone doing the ELAT. May the odds be ever in your favour. :shakehand:

If you have any tips...I'm getting desperate here :')
Good luck to you too !
Does anyone know whether international applicants should submit original written work (in mother tongue) along with English translation? :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending