The Student Room Group

Best CompSci Uni for My Grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Incongruous
QMUL foundation course needs the equivalent points of 3Cs...

There's a College here in Northern Ireland which only requires something like 220-240, so similar and it's local so probably best. Also the fees are only £2500. Thanks for the info though.
Reply 21
Original post by Princepieman
That is incorrect. Only the top 15 ish unis require Maths, the rest (including the remainder of the top 30) are perfectly fine with a grade B in Maths at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My apologies, however your post is incorrect. Two universities who sit outside the top 30, York and Strathclythe, require maths A Level. Most universities do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by alexp98
Not sure why people always make sweeping stereotypical comments about maths when it comes to computer science, thousands of people go into degrees without maths and do well and always will do. Yes, it's a theory based subject but everyone gets their problem solving skills in different ways.

I will agree that Computer Science does have a problem solving element, however most Computer Science degrees are based around and over the concepts taught at Maths A Level. Computer Science is not just writing code and solving a problem.

For example, collision detection in programming is based on the coordinate geometry concept on whether a point is above or below a line, or encompassed by it. Many other practical elements stem directly from maths, such as to create 3D models you will need an understanding of revolution volumes taught in calculus. This is why Maths is so important for Computer Science, and hence why so many universities require a Maths A Level, and/or a minimum of B in GCSE Maths.

If the problem solving is really what you want to do, then a degree in IT or foundation in Computer Science are the best options. I would not recommend applying for Computer Science directly without a backing in Mathematics A Level or equivalent.
Original post by alexp98
This is inaccurate lol. Yes, it's a theory based subject but the vast majority of of Uni's only require a C in GCSE maths without A level. If they allow these requirements, they expect you to pass and do well on the course, not fail or they wouldn't enrol you to begin with. I personally got an A in GCSE, but talked to people with B's and C's in good quality Uni's and they did fine.

There are different types of "computer science" degrees. To get a 2:1 at a decent university in pure computer science itself, you really need more than a C grade at GCSE maths.

Original post by alexp98
No you're fine, he/she was just being brutal, there is a reason extremely few Uni's ask for A level Maths or anything above a C at GCSE. They wouldn't enrol you if they think you're not capable, it would only look bad on them too. However, yes of course it's theory based and you will have to work hard. To answer your question good Uni's to look out for our DMU and Lincoln which are both top 40 and practical, with good competitive graduate salaries.

Discrete mathematics is a massive part of computer science and very important. There is also usually a decent amount of calculus involved. A C grade at GCSE makes it very hard to succeed, unless he works very hard. There is a reason most RG/top universities require maths A-level and prefer further maths A-level and another science.

Sorry OP, but I'm not going to lie to you and try to sugarcoat it, I'm going to be honest.
Original post by Krimzar
CloakedSpartan is actually very accurate... Computer Science is mostly applied mathematics, hence why many universities require an A Level in Maths particularly for Computer Science and recommend an A2 in Physics, Computing and/or a minimum of an AS in Further Maths.Ross M, If you are a more practical person, then an IT degree may be the best way to go. IT graduates learn some similar content to CompSci graduates, such as databases, but focus on the practical elements rather than the theory. Another alternative may be a foundation degree in CompSci before you start your first year, so that you can catch up on the maths content or try a joint honors Computing and Business or IT and Business degree.

Thank you. A foundation year would be a good idea IMHO.
Reply 24
Think about picking up a btec in it which is computing not actually i.t can easily get D*
Original post by Krimzar
I was refering to Maths A Level, not Maths GCSE, sorry if I was not clear.

Yes, you said that the universities which didn't require A-level Maths were in the minority, which is not true.

Obviously, I agree with you that CS at the majority of universities involves Mathematics but, many of the top universities that do not require Maths A-level have extra support classes for those without it. In fact, many of my friends who have done a BTEC are completely happy with the Maths on their course (at places like Nottingham, KCL, Loughborough etc) because of this additional support.

At the end of the day, don't discourage someone if they don't have A-level Maths - especially when it's entirely possible to get to a top universitiy without it.
Reply 26
Yes, you said that the universities which didn't require A-level Maths were in the minority, which is not true.

Obviously, I agree with you that CS at the majority of universities involves Mathematics but, many of the top universities that do not require Maths A-level have extra support classes for those without it. In fact, many of my friends who have done a BTEC are completely happy with the Maths on their course (at places like Nottingham, KCL, Loughborough etc) because of this additional support.

At the end of the day, don't discourage someone if they don't have A-level Maths - especially when it's entirely possible to get to a top universitiy without it.

Ah, this was primarily my fault. I should have mentioned "A Level or equivalent", as you mentioned the BTEC. A higher level qualification in maths definitely is a requirement by the majority of universities for Computer Science.
Original post by Krimzar
Ah, this was primarily my fault. I should have mentioned "A Level or equivalent", as you mentioned the BTEC. A higher level qualification in maths definitely is a requirement by the majority of universities for Computer Science.

No it's not ffs lol. Many good RG are fine without it. For example I did physics A level instead of Maths but still got an A at GCSE, are you telling me this is a problem? A common misconception is that if people do well at maths GCSE they HAVE to take it at A level...Also with OP's grades atm he won't be going to a RG where the maths can be rigorous anyway, and again even if he was more RG Unis would let him than those that don't
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by alexp98
No it's not ffs lol. Many good RG are fine without it.

This is getting nowhere... Most universities do require a higher level maths qualification, because of the nature of the course. I also applied for Computer Science this year, even contacting universities before I chose my a levels as to what they want to see in an applicant. One university in particular mentioned my application would struggle without a grounding in Maths A Level or equivalent higher education study.

Agreeing with CloakedSpartan, I will not sugar coat this for anyone; the combination of A Levels in ICT, Business Studies, and Music for Ross M (OP), lend themselves more to a practical degree in IT, not Computer Science, sorry. If you really want to pursue Computer Science, then a foundation degree is, from my experience and opinion, the best way to go.
Original post by Krimzar
This is getting nowhere... Most universities do require a higher level maths qualification, because of the nature of the course. I also applied for Computer Science this year, even contacting universities before I chose my a levels as to what they want to see in an applicant. One university in particular mentioned my application would struggle without a grounding in Maths A Level or equivalent higher education study.

Agreeing with CloakedSpartan, I will not sugar coat this for anyone; the combination of A Levels in ICT, Business Studies, and Music for Ross M (OP), lend themselves more to a practical degree in IT, not Computer Science, sorry. If you really want to pursue Computer Science, then a foundation degree is, from my experience and opinion, the best way to go.

I went to Nottingham open day and talked to many tutors and current students who actually did essay based subjects... You have to remember just because people didn't take maths it doesn't mean they are not good at it. Likewise people that didn't take English or history for example, it doesn't mean they're not capable of writing.
Reply 30
Original post by alexp98
I went to Nottingham open day and talked to many tutors and current students who actually did essay based subjects... You have to remember just because people didn't take maths it doesn't mean they are not good at it. Likewise people that didn't take English or history for example, it doesn't mean they're not capable of writing.

Certainly, people can have an aptitude for maths without having taken a qualification in maths. However, most courses base themselves on the fact that you should have already had two years experience in higher education maths or equivalent before you start the course, so that you at least have an understanding of the core principles (ie calculus, geometry, algorithms). Hence why the best option is a foundation year, to catch up on the content before starting the course.
Original post by Krimzar

So you're an applicant..

Dude, come on. I am telling you my friends (not just the BTEC ones) have started at university this year (I would have too but stuff happened, so I'm reapplying) without Maths A-level at several good universities. It's really not a requirement for the majority of places.

As you said before 'Maths A-level and/OR GCSE Maths at grade B' is the requirement, the majority of places falling into the latter half of that requirement.

OP would have been alright if they got a decent grade at GCSE Maths and if they had achieved well at AS - but given that they didn't a foundation year is the best way forward.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
So you're an applicant..

Dude, come on. I am telling you my friends (not just the BTEC ones) have started at university this year (I would have too but stuff happened, so I'm reapplying) without Maths A-level at several good universities. It's really not a requirement for the majority of places.

As you said before 'Maths A-level and/OR GCSE Maths at grade B' is the requirement, the majority of places falling into the latter half of that requirement.

OP would have been alright if they got a decent grade at GCSE Maths and if they had achieved well at AS - but given that they didn't a foundation year is the best way forward.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with you in conclusion; the best position for OP is to go for the foundation year.

I actually received 3/5 offers so far for CompSci, still waiting on decisions from the other two. My application was based mostly around my studies in A2 Maths, ICT and Computing and AS Further Maths (picked it up this year for the reason of strengthening my application and pursuing maths more). It's these subjects that will help greatly in a Computer Science application. Without these subjects, it is not impossible to study the course (foundation year for example), it just makes it more difficult to receive an offer.

All in all, the best thing for OP to do is go for the foundation year. I will no longer be posting in this thread, as I believe we have now reached a solid conclusion.
Original post by Krimzar
I agree with you in conclusion; the best position for OP is to go for the foundation year.

I actually received 3/5 offers so far for CompSci, still waiting on decisions from the other two. My application was based mostly around my studies in A2 Maths, ICT and Computing and AS Further Maths (picked it up this year for the reason of strengthening my application and pursuing maths more). It's these subjects that will help greatly in a Computer Science application. Without these subjects, it is not impossible to study the course (foundation year for example), it just makes it more difficult to receive an offer.

All in all, the best thing for OP to do is go for the foundation year. I will no longer be posting in this thread, as I believe we have now reached a solid conclusion.

Where have you applied to?
Reply 34
Where have you applied to?

I've already broken my promise of not posting, but here we go...

I applied to Warrick (conditional), Bath (conditional), UEA (unconditional), Surrey (waiting), Cambridge (waiting).

These are the more maths based ones, because I enjoy Maths just as much as I enjoy Computing.

I do think we all went off topic in the argument of needing Maths for Computer Science, when OP only wanted our two cents haha :colondollar:, and for that I apologize to OP.
Original post by Ross M
Hi,

I'm having a bit of a dilemma as I come from Northern Ireland and I'm having to pick a University in England to possibly study Computer Science at which I have no idea about. I was wondering what Uni would be best for A level Grades CCC (240 UCAS points) + 110 UCAS points from Music Exams = 350 UCAS Points.

I'm currently studying:
ICT
Business Studies
Music

GCSE:
Maths - C
ICT - A

I am more of a practical person than a theoretical person so would prefer a more hands on type of CompSci degree course.

If you need anymore info to make a suggestion, just ask, thanks.

De Montford Uni
Five GCSEs at grade C or above, including English and Maths or equivalent, plus one of the following:
Normally 280 UCAS points from at least two A-levels or equivalent or BTEC National Diploma/ Extended Diploma at DMM or - See more at: http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate-courses/computer-science.aspx#sthash.o8XL9lD7.dpuf
Original post by Krimzar
I've already broken my promise of not posting, but here we go...

I applied to Warrick (conditional), Bath (conditional), UEA (unconditional), Surrey (waiting), Cambridge (waiting).

These are the more maths based ones, because I enjoy Maths just as much as I enjoy Computing.

I do think we all went off topic in the argument of needing Maths for Computer Science, when OP only wanted our two cents haha :colondollar:, and for that I apologize to OP.

Cool, might see you at Warwick then! I went for: Warwick (offer), Nottingham (offer), Bristol (waiting), UCL (waiting), Oxford (have a test next week).

Lol, I went for actual maths based courses. All my choices (apart from Oxford) are either Maths and Computer Science or Data Science (Maths, Stats anf CS). Maths and CS are a lovely combo.

As I said, I think you've skewed your perception of how many unis actually require A-level Maths - considering the ones you've applied for :tongue:
Reply 37
Cool, might see you at Warwick then! I went for: Warwick (offer), Nottingham (offer), Bristol (waiting), UCL (waiting), Oxford (have a test next week).

Lol, I went for actual maths based courses. All my choices (apart from Oxford) are either Maths and Computer Science or Data Science (Maths, Stats anf CS). Maths and CS are a lovely combo.

As I said, I think you've skewed your perception of how many unis actually require A-level Maths - considering the ones you've applied for :tongue:

Yup, I agree with you now :colondollar:. The unis I did look at were the ones that were based more on maths, probably why I thought so many require maths. I did a bit more digging, and found that it is a few unis that do require maths (albeit higher on league tables), so I retract my claim and agree with yours :tongue:.

Nice choices btw, I was considering Nottingham as an option before I opted for Surrey instead. We might just see each other at Warwick :tongue:.
Reply 38
I think that a Foundation is probably best. What do you think about a Software Engineering course? Would it be similar to Computer Science requiring Maths?

I have applied to Edge Hill (conditional), Lincoln (conditional), Ulster (pending) and Bournemouth (pending).
Original post by Ross M
I think that a Foundation is probably best. What do you think about a Software Engineering course? Would it be similar to Computer Science requiring Maths?

I have applied to Edge Hill (conditional), Lincoln (conditional), Ulster (pending) and Bournemouth (pending).

It depends on the Uni, for example at De Montfort it's extremely similar and they even let you have the option of changing to the other after the first year. As the Uni's you have applied for don't require maths you will be fine to go into 1st year entry, but it's your choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending