Original post by ThushaS
is it worth doing duke of edinburgh?

Yes

Original post by ThushaS
do you get UCAS points if you do DofE?

No
Reply 3
Why is it worth it then?
im a really un-athletic person, but I've done bronze, silver and gold, and I think its worth doing DofE because it's so satisfying when you finish the expeditions. Plus, the volunteering/skill/fitness/residential sections can be fun
Reply 5
but will it give you an advantage in any way
Original post by ThushaS
Why is it worth it then?

Because not everything in life is about points and tariff tables. People should do things for the experience, too.
Reply 7
yeah that is true
Original post by ThushaS
but will it give you an advantage in any way

it's something to talk about at interviews, plus one of my uncles gave me £10 for completing my gold expedition, saying 'I expect a boy to have done it, but not a girl like you'....so yeah it does give you an advantage

but like the other poster says, you don't need to do everything in life to get an advantage. do you have fun to get an advantage over other people?
Reply 9
no
Reply 10
you've got a point
Reply 11
Original post by ThushaS
Why is it worth it then?

It often catches people's eyes and makes them think "hang on, they've done this even though there was no real gain for them"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
okay
Reply 13
I didn't bother with bronze or silver but did Gold so had to do it for longer. It's been useful, depending on what you do for each category. It's up to you to make it worthwhile.
It also shows that you can stick at something over a period of time, meaning on average you are less likely to drop out which is an advantage for universities.
also, if you've done things like NCS (the challenge) there is no harm in upgrading it to DofE
Reply 16
is it good to do the challenge?
Original post by ThushaS
is it good to do the challenge?

yeah, you might be interested to:
make friends,
have a residential team building week,
work with a charity to produce a campaign/ bring awareness,
create your own campaign and arrange a campaign day,
challenge yourself to improve in many ways,
meet some industry experts who may be useful in future

also, the challenge society can give you opportunities to work with them for years:
I did the challenge, then as a graduate, I was offered roles choosing new staff, being a staff member myself, and they give us exclusive access to careers events and all that.....

then theres a gap year scheme though you can do it whenever, and the chance to work in places like the Mayors office etc.

It opens doors, and gives you too much to put on your cv, which is in no way a bad thing....
Reply 18
wow that sounds fun
is it possible to do dofe and challenge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending