The Student Room Group

The best way to go about choosing A levels?

I'm thinking of A levels already and im already set on what route i want to go in - the arts (as oppose to the maths/science). This means i'm not going to choose maths or science at all.

I really want to do History, it's what i'm passionate about, and interested in. I also want to do Geography but the topics seems so boring (at gcse), but i'm still considering it. the final subject i'm thinking of is French. i love french, i can write well, with minor mistakes. i'm just worried that i might struggle with the grammar.

Are these subjects good together? In the end i want to do something history in uni. something that looks at your history grades.

they dropped the 4th subject option thing here in this sixth form so i only have to choose 3, which is good
Reply 1
if you wanna do History at uni you should consider taking English Literature...

i would take English Lit, Economics and History...

those go well together^ you've got some maths in economics so you've got that, essay writing in english lit and history obviously

Geography will basically have the same topics at GCSE but just in more detail...

idk that's what i would take, http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-history

good luck :biggrin:
I debated whether to take German for A level.

Went with what felt right and took it, and it's been really nice. I've met so many new friends I wouldn't have if I took all STEM subjects, and I like the variety in my subjects every day. Grammar is also my weakest point, but it's just part of the challenge to improve. Go with French!
Reply 3
Original post by z33

those go well together^ you've got some maths in economics so you've got that, essay writing in english lit and history obviously

Geography will basically have the same topics at GCSE but just in more detail...

idk that's what i would take, http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-history

i really dislike lit :frown: i got good grades in that, but i feel like i had to put in a lot of effort. reading a whole book isnt my favourite thing in the world and i hate looking deep into things. they offer gov and politics here, do you think that's good?
Reply 4
Original post by Student403
I debated whether to take German for A level.

Went with what felt right and took it, and it's been really nice. I've met so many new friends I wouldn't have if I took all STEM subjects, and I like the variety in my subjects every day. Grammar is also my weakest point, but it's just part of the challenge to improve. Go with French!

that's a cool way to look at it :biggrin: many people taking french with me now are dreading it lol so i might see new faces at a level :smile: how hard is languages at a level though? lots of translations?
Reply 5
hmmm i haven't done it but on the website it lists politics under useful subjects so yeah that should be cool although idk about the difficulties

you could also try English language but idk - something else essay based is good though

sociology is considered 'easy' and i's essay based and it's under useful so maybe that?
I do Edexcel, so I can't speak for AQA and others. The only specific question related to translation comes in the A2 written paper. But by that stage, you should be very familiar with the grammar.

The transition from GCSE to AS is very hard. Often, I got really depressed because of how hard it was for me. I'm more of a scienc-y person (who for some weird reason loves German) so maybe that's why it was hard. But tbh all of my classmates, even those who are more creative thinkers found it tough also.

It's tough, but it's doable. And worth it :smile:
Original post by z33

Z33 gives good advice. Eng lit would help out a ton with history:smile: I take Geography at A lvl and I find it pretty interesting:biggrin:. Its just an extension of gcse but with more examples and depth. Personally, I found it more exciting at A lvl than GCSE but maybe thats just me:groovy:. Finally, its important you do what you love:grin: and you like French. If you are passionate about it, the grammar should be fine.

I would go with History (for your career) , Eng Lit (for supporting skills to History and as solid general subject) and French (so you at least look forward to 1 of your lessons and dont end up feeling like this guy: :bricks:) But ofc its up to you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Spanish AS was very manageable, A2 was ****ed up.

Only pick languages if you're motivated to do it every day, or drop it in year 13 lmao
Reply 9
Original post by z33
hmmm i haven't done it but on the website it lists politics under useful subjects so yeah that should be cool although idk about the difficulties

you could also try English language but idk - something else essay based is good though

sociology is considered 'easy' and i's essay based and it's under useful so maybe that?

I've just had this thought, what if i keep my options open?
what if i take history, french and maybe chem (cos that's probs one of my more better sciences) w
what did you take at A level?
Reply 10
i dropped chemistry in first week
boring and too hard
Keeping your options 'open' and taking one science won't be useful - if you want to go down the science route, almost all universities will want at LEAST two science subjects. So taking one science won't help you go down a science path.

For the arts/humanities/social sciences, it's a lot more flexible - usually universities will only want one or more 'enabling' subject: a language, maths, English Lit, or history. They also want one essay-based subject (if you did history or English Lit, that would fulfil two requirements - an enabling and essay-based subject). Most Russell Group universities will want you to have two subjects which aren't considered 'soft' - so if you did history and French, that would leave you free to take something else you enjoy at A-Level, even though it might be 'softer'. Go for subjects you enjoy - if you like them, it'll be easier to work more at them and therefore get higher grades.

Since you said you don't really like English Lit, don't feel pressured to take it - history is also an enabling subject, is essay-based, and is what you might want to study. French would be useful, because employers really like having employees who can work with international clients/companies, so is good to have to a high level - and French A-Level includes more cultural studies, so you could also do some aspects of French history! Politics would be good to take too (but I'm biased - I love anything to do with politics :wink:). Geography has aspects of science and maths/statistics, so might show universities you're slightly more well-rounded, although tbh they won't usually care as long as you get the grades.

And remember - what you want to study at university might not be related to your career (unless you want to go down a science/medicine route... in which case your degree matters). Only ~5% of jobs in sectors other than science require a specific degree at university. Go for what you enjoy!
Original post by charleave
Keeping your options 'open' and taking one science won't be useful - if you want to go down the science route, almost all universities will want at LEAST two science subjects. So taking one science won't help you go down a science path.

For the arts/humanities/social sciences, it's a lot more flexible - usually universities will only want one or more 'enabling' subject: a language, maths, English Lit, or history. They also want one essay-based subject (if you did history or English Lit, that would fulfil two requirements - an enabling and essay-based subject). Most Russell Group universities will want you to have two subjects which aren't considered 'soft' - so if you did history and French, that would leave you free to take something else you enjoy at A-Level, even though it might be 'softer'. Go for subjects you enjoy - if you like them, it'll be easier to work more at them and therefore get higher grades.

Since you said you don't really like English Lit, don't feel pressured to take it - history is also an enabling subject, is essay-based, and is what you might want to study. French would be useful, because employers really like having employees who can work with international clients/companies, so is good to have to a high level - and French A-Level includes more cultural studies, so you could also do some aspects of French history! Politics would be good to take too (but I'm biased - I love anything to do with politics :wink:). Geography has aspects of science and maths/statistics, so might show universities you're slightly more well-rounded, although tbh they won't usually care as long as you get the grades.

And remember - what you want to study at university might not be related to your career (unless you want to go down a science/medicine route... in which case your degree matters). Only ~5% of jobs in sectors other than science require a specific degree at university. Go for what you enjoy!

Thank you ! That was really insightful and helped me have a clear idea on how I can go about this :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Happy to help! If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me :h:

I'd also recommend going to The Subject Matters at Cambridge if you get the chance - the last one is Saturday 7th November. It's really helpful and gives so much advice on choosing A-Levels, and you get the chance to ask questions to current students and two admissions tutors (the English admissions tutor is so friendly and hilarious)!
Whatever you do, don't take Chinese. Universities don't value foreign language A-levels when they are actually in your native language.
Original post by EastGuava
Whatever you do, don't take Chinese. Universities don't value foreign language A-levels when they are actually in your native language.

thanks for assuming im chinese...again >_> if anything, french would be the language i'll learn.
French is tough but sometimes fun(ish). Good choice.

Quick Reply

Latest