The Student Room Group

American Student Applying to Scottish Universities

Hi there!

I'm sorry if this question has shown up before. I'm an American student who wants to apply to the University of St. Andrews and the University of Edinburgh. I got a 5 on each of 3 APs, and I have a high SAT score and high GPA.

I'm a bit confused by the application process. I know St. Andrews lets you use Common App, but Edinburgh requires UCAS. I've seen people say that if you're applying to more than one university, you have to use UCAS. Is this true for an international student?

Does doing both in UCAS give me an advantage? A disadvantage? I don't quite understand the system!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sjohnson98
Hi there!

I'm sorry if this question has shown up before. I'm an American student who wants to apply to the University of St. Andrews and the University of Edinburgh. I got a 5 on each of 3 APs, and I have a high SAT score and high GPA.

I'm a bit confused by the application process. I know St. Andrews lets you use Common App, but Edinburgh requires UCAS. I've seen people say that if you're applying to more than one university, you have to use UCAS. Is this true for an international student?

Does doing both in UCAS give me an advantage? A disadvantage? I don't quite understand the system!

Thanks!

It just makes things easier. On UCAS you have one personal statement, a reference (that your teacher/guidance counselor will fill out) and all your academic stuff. Granted, there's no where to mention a GPA but you could get your referee to mention it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
It just makes things easier. On UCAS you have one personal statement, a reference (that your teacher/guidance counselor will fill out) and all your academic stuff. Granted, there's no where to mention a GPA but you could get your referee to mention it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most of my stuff will already be on Common App so that's taken care of. Does this mean that even though I'm applying to two UK schools, I don't need to use UCAS for both?
Hi there!

Thanks!

The advantage of UCAS is that you only fill in one application for 5 universities. So you only have to input your grades once, only have to have one personal statement, your referee only has to provide one reference. Then you just sit back and wait. So if Edinburgh won't take the common app then it makes sense to use UCAS for both because then you only fill out one form. Remember that our personal statements are lot more academically orientated- universities want to know more about why you are right for the course and less about whether you play sport e.c.t.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
The advantage of UCAS is that you only fill in one application for 5 universities. So you only have to input your grades once, only have to have one personal statement, your referee only has to provide one reference. Then you just sit back and wait. So if Edinburgh won't take the common app then it makes sense to use UCAS for both because then you only fill out one form. Remember that our personal statements are lot more academically orientated- universities want to know more about why you are right for the course and less about whether you play sport e.c.t.

Cool, thanks! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving myself/losing an advantage by doing one or the other.
May I ask what you are planning to apply for at these two universities?
Reply 6
Original post by IssyTeri
May I ask what you are planning to apply for at these two universities?

Of course! I'm applying to study history.

Out of curiosity, since I already made this post, how do I know if I'm applying as an individual vs through my school? No one at my high school has any experience with UCAS and I'm just trying to figure things out.

Out of curiosity, since I already made this post, how do I know if I'm applying as an individual vs through my school? No one at my high school has any experience with UCAS and I'm just trying to figure things out.

Your school would need to register as a UCAS centre, they can then provide you with a 'buzz word' to connect your application to their system.

If I'm being honest, it's unlikely other people will be applying through UCAS any time soon via your school - so I'd just select individual. All you need to do then is enter in the details of your referee, an email is then sent to them to provide your predicted grades and the reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there!

Thanks!

You can use Common App only if you're applying to a maximum of one UK uni, in most cases. You certainly can't use it in addition to UCAS to give yourself more than 5 choices.

I'd really recommend reading the TSR wiki articles about applying through UCAS - the links are at the top of every page.

Don't forget that there are more than two universities in the UK! Those are the two that attract most American students, but there are plenty of other excellent ones, and as you get 5 choices on your UCAS form you may as well make use of it. If you want to study in Scotland, look at Glasgow. If you're willing to go further afield, then Russell Group universities are a good place to start (NB not all good unis are Russell Group!)

If your school isn't registered on UCAS (highly unlikely from what you've said) then you'll need to apply as an individual.

On a side note, do read the guides to writing a personal statement - it's COMPLETELY different to writing a college admissions essay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Origami Bullets
You can use Common App only if you're applying to a maximum of one UK uni, in most cases. You certainly can't use it in addition to UCAS to give yourself more than 5 choices.

I'd really recommend reading the TSR wiki articles about applying through UCAS - the links are at the top of every page.

Don't forget that there are more than two universities in the UK! Those are the two that attract most American students, but there are plenty of other excellent ones, and as you get 5 choices on your UCAS form you may as well make use of it. If you want to study in Scotland, look at Glasgow. If you're willing to go further afield, then Russell Group universities are a good place to start (NB not all good unis are Russell Group!)

If your school isn't registered on UCAS (highly unlikely from what you've said) then you'll need to apply as an individual.

On a side note, do read the guides to writing a personal statement - it's COMPLETELY different to writing a college admissions essay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much! I know there are a bunch of universities, but I'm already applying to quite a few in the US so I've really got to limit my applications.

Are you saying that if I'm applying to both St. Andrews and Edinburgh, I need to apply to both through UCAS?
Hi there!

Thanks!

You'd probably be better off applying to five universities through UCAS since it's unlikely that you'd be allowed to use both UCAS and Common Application unless you're applying to only one university through UCAS -- the reason being that they don't want you to have more than five choices by virtue of being American.

With those stats, you should look at some of the other universities as well because you'll have a good shot pretty much everywhere with 5s in three APs, a good GPA and a good SAT score. I'm not sure about this but you may want to check to see whether some universities also require SAT subject tests although I suspect they won't if your APs are in relevant subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks so much! I know there are a bunch of universities, but I'm already applying to quite a few in the US so I've really got to limit my applications.

Are you saying that if I'm applying to both St. Andrews and Edinburgh, I need to apply to both through UCAS?

It'd be MUCH easier. And, you could also add 3 more universities without doing any other essays, recommendations or what have you. It's all on the one form.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need to do that with UCAS though. :biggrin: You fill in only one application form and the same form is sent to all your choices so there's literally nothing to lose by applying to the maximum number -- besides, you'll have a better chance of an offer if you apply to five instead of two. :smile:

Have you thought about finances? Unlike American universities, British universities tend to treat international students as cash cows because they're not allowed to charge Home/EU students more than a certain amount (currently £9 000/year) but they are allowed to charge international students what they want. I've heard that some of your government grants are available to you even if you study outside the United States so that might be something to look into.
Reply 13
Original post by Hydeman

Have you thought about finances? Unlike American universities, British universities tend to treat international students as cash cows because they're not allowed to charge Home/EU students more than a certain amount (currently £9 000/year) but they are allowed to charge international students what they want. I've heard that some of your government grants are available to you even if you study outside the United States so that might be something to look into.

This is going to make me seem very rich and privileged, but the cost of these schools as an international student seems low to me! The truth is that as an international student, with about $25,000 to pay in tuition each year, I'd be saving tens of thousands of dollars. US schools regularly charge more than $60,000 a year.
Reply 14
Is there an extra charge for applying to more universities or is it one flat rate?
This is going to make me seem very rich and privileged, but the cost of these schools as an international student seems low to me! The truth is that as an international student, with about $25,000 to pay in tuition each year, I'd be saving tens of thousands of dollars. US schools regularly charge more than $60,000 a year.

I understand. :smile: A lot of American students on this website have said that it's actually cheaper to study here. I meant from the perspective of being able to get grants and loans -- while I'm not sure how exactly it works in America, British students are only entitled to government financial support if they go to a British university. Anywhere else and we're on our own. :lol:
Is there an extra charge for applying to more universities or is it one flat rate?

The charge for applying to a single university is lower than the charge for applying to several universities but it's like this: the cost for applying to more than one is the same regardless of how many you apply to (within the limit). So applying to two costs exactly the same as applying to five and it's pretty cheap (£23, I think).
Reply 17
Original post by Hydeman
I understand. :smile: A lot of American students on this website have said that it's actually cheaper to study here. I meant from the perspective of being able to get grants and loans -- while I'm not sure how exactly it works in America, British students are only entitled to government financial support if they go to a British university. Anywhere else and we're on our own. :lol:

It really is cheaper! I'll still have debt, but more than one hundred thousand dollars less, so... We can't get government aid if we go overseas, but there are still lots of private organizations. College is so expensive for us that lots of non-profits/philanthropists offer money.
Reply 18
Original post by Hydeman
The charge for applying to a single university is lower than the charge for applying to several universities but it's like this: the cost for applying to more than one is the same regardless of how many you apply to (within the limit). So applying to two costs exactly the same as applying to five and it's pretty cheap (£23, I think).

Oh man that's a fraction of what it costs to apply to just one school! I think the average application fee for schools in the US is $75 now.

There is an extra charge for applying to more than one uni via UCAS - its £12 for one uni, £23 for two to five.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending