The Student Room Group

Do you agree with the death penalty?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Student403
I haven't thought about it that far haha. But I think it should definitely be based by crime.

There are two issues I can forsee, though. a) perhaps even more human rights activists pouncing on the idea (and so much more controversy and distrust in the justice system) and b) how to determine who gets what punishment. This would be VERY subjective ie one judge might see it as appropriate to use an electric chair for a involuntary manslaughter, whereas another might starve the person for a day for raping a child. (Trying to make a contrast here, hopefully it came across)

I agree, whatever horrific thing a person may have done, what guarantee do we have that the punishment they choose to invoke is proportional. I don't believe the government and its prosecutors can be trusted to apply punishment fairly
Original post by ivy.98
I agree, whatever horrific thing a person may have done, what guarantee do we have that the punishment they choose to invoke is proportional. I don't believe the government and its prosecutors can be trusted to apply punishment fairly

Yeah :/ Also, there's the massive issue of 'what happens if this person's exonerated' because they're proven innocent? Can't really go "oopsie. soz. Take some money", as is sometimes done today :L The person would be traumatised for life! :frown:
Reply 62
Yeah :/ Also, there's the massive issue of 'what happens if this person's exonerated' because they're proven innocent? Can't really go "oopsie. soz. Take some money", as is sometimes done today :L The person would be traumatised for life! :frown:

This is is completely it, too many innocent people are executed, and by extension the society, so the people, which makes them culpable for their deaths as a result. It is the worst travesty of justice imo. So yeah, we can't really argue whats best and whats not :indiff: either side comes with many issues
Original post by ivy.98
This is is completely it, too many innocent people are executed, and by extension the society, so the people, which makes them culpable for their deaths as a result. It is the worst travesty of justice imo. So yeah, we can't really argue whats best and whats not :indiff: either side comes with many issues

Yeah :frown: I completely agree
Original post by saxsan4
yes or no? and why

i think for the most serious rapists, murders and paedophiles and special crimes which are truly revolting, we should bring it back
but ONLY on the most serious cases such as the woman who flushed her new born baby down the toilet. The killer of Le-Rigby as examples

the death penalty should be restored; its use should be extended to a range of offences including burglary.
Reply 65
Original post by ivy.98
Yeah that's a good point too. Lets say If I was the victim, I might as well just prefer watching the person suffer to get my revenge on him. But what kind of torture are we talking about? Like electric chairs?

I agree with the idea of "the worst punishment" being only for the worst crimes, but then I also question. Isn't death a quick way out? Many commit suicide because they don't want to spend time in jail. So I wish we had an alternative to the death sentence: torture.

Do you two really think that torturing a person unnecessary is good for society?

Its all based on revenge. In fact a lot of people that murder do so because of revenge. So you saying its ok for you to dish out revenge but not the killer.

You two have no logic. Congratulations.
Original post by Eggs20
Do you two really think that torturing a person unnecessary is good for society?

Its all based on revenge. In fact a lot of people that murder do so because of revenge. So you saying its ok for you to dish out revenge but not the killer.

You two have no logic. Congratulations.

"unnecessarily"?
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Please only speak for yourself because your speculations are ridiculous. I think a substantial part of the public support the death penalty. It's not correct to ascribe the views you have said to us all.

Those aren't my views because I'm a not backward barbarian. Capital punishment is utterly ridiculous and archaic. Funnily the place capital punishment is used most in the western world is also a hotbed of racism, homophobia, transphobia and 'traditional conservatism' with regard to gender.

I haven't thought about it that far haha. But I think it should definitely be based by crime.

There are two issues I can forsee, though. a) perhaps even more human rights activists pouncing on the idea (and so much more controversy and distrust in the justice system) and b) how to determine who gets what punishment. This would be VERY subjective ie one judge might see it as appropriate to use an electric chair for a involuntary manslaughter, whereas another might starve the person for a day for raping a child. (Trying to make a contrast here, hopefully it came across)

Well that wouldn't really be a problem. One judge may give someone four years for a rape whereas another may have given ten, it's the same principle.

More to the point what kind of sick, masochistic person suggests using torture as part of the justice system. Using electrocution for someone who commits involuntary manslaughter? I think you should consider moving to Saudi Arabia where your views might be seen as somewhat more in line with the rest of society.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, the death penalty has been abolished for a reason and that's the way it should stay. The execution of a person is horrifically expensive, adds more pain to the victim's family and ultimately solves nothing. For those of you who say that prisoners get off easy-they don't. There are levels of prisons, and Category A prisons are not pleasant places, there are no flat screens or playstations and prisoners pretty much remain in their cells all day every day. Torture isn't the answer either, that makes you worse than them. Would you stand up and willingly torture someone you know may be innocent? Would you inject the drugs to stop their heart? No, I don't think so, I know I wouldn't.
Original post by Underscore__
Those aren't my views because I'm a not backward barbarian. Capital punishment is utterly ridiculous and archaic. Funnily the place capital punishment is used most in the western world is also a hotbed of racism, homophobia, transphobia and 'traditional conservatism' with regard to gender.

Well that wouldn't really be a problem. One judge may give someone four years for a rape whereas another may have given ten, it's the same principle.

More to the point what kind of sick, masochistic person suggests using torture as part of the justice system. Using electrocution for someone who commits involuntary manslaughter? I think you should consider moving to Saudi Arabia where your views might be seen as somewhat more in line with the rest of society.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The first point I tried to make was that one judge may give a harsh punishment for an accidental crime, and then another judge might give a light punishment for a terrible crime.

My second point was exactly that it's an INAPPROPRIATE method of punishment. Hence why I said "(trying to make a contrast here)". It may not have come across because I found it hard to put in an organized manner, but now you know what I meant.
Reply 70
Original post by saxsan4
but why should the tax payer pay for them to have very easy lives?

Serving a life sentence in a State Pen is not an easy life.
Reply 71
Original post by the bear
the death penalty should be restored; its use should be extended to a range of offences including burglary.

..........and jaywalking.
Reply 72
Original post by Underscore__

I don't understand how so many people can be against punishing criminals fairly.

Imagine if someone rapes children or kills many innocent people; are you honestly saying someone like that doesn't deserve to be tortured? Imagine if you had small children and God forbid someone did a horrific act on them. Would you honestly be against having that person tortured for what s/he did to your child?

Torture is not pleasant but there are unfortunately some people in the world who deserve it for the horrific crimes they've committed.
Yes in theory if these conditions were met.
1. We were 100% certain that the person caught is the perpetrator
2. It is cheaper than life in prison. I'm not sure why putting a single bullet through someones head should be more expensive than clothing/feeding/sheltering someone for their entire life.
3. It is only applied to the murderers and rapists(no bs rape accusation were u think u said no but not sure)

For those arguing that it is bloodthirdty inhuman vengeful behaviour, I'd like you to imagine (God forbid) that your mother/daughter was raped then murdered, her body hidden. Now I don't know about you but I'd definately wouldn't be remotely content with them being locked up, fed 3 times with a roof over their head and warm clothe on their back. I'd want them dead atleast.

For now though there is still the risk of killing an innocent person so until we can always 100% certain that its the right guy I am against the death penalty.
So murdering an innocent fetus is okay but killing a convicted murderer/ rapist/ terrorist/ paedophile is not okay?

I don't even...
Original post by tebr
I don't understand how so many people can be against punishing criminals fairly.

Imagine if someone rapes children or kills many innocent people; are you honestly saying someone like that doesn't deserve to be tortured? Imagine if you had small children and God forbid someone did a horrific act on them. Would you honestly be against having that person tortured for what s/he did to your child?

Torturing the person would not undo what has already been done, so performing the torture does nothing but serve some sick selfish desire to cause pain to another person. While it might feel good to exact my revenge, it would not be for the state to cater to my petty desires.
Original post by saxsan4
yes or no? and why

i think for the most serious rapists, murders and paedophiles and special crimes which are truly revolting, we should bring it back
but ONLY on the most serious cases such as the woman who flushed her new born baby down the toilet. The killer of Le-Rigby as examples

I don't agree with it tbh, I think death is just an easy way out.
Original post by tebr

Torture is not pleasant but there are unfortunately some people in the world who deserve it for the horrific crimes they've committed.

That's the complete wrong way of looking at it, you're trying to create an emotional response. It would be like saying if you saw someone kill your whole family and you run into them with a gun in your hand is it okay to shoot them? A lot of people would say yes but if you asked them if murder is okay they'd say no.

I would agree with making prisons less luxurious but torture is just barbaric, it's not right to stoop to the level of criminals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by Jonny360
Let's just leave the death penalty to the backward Islamic States

ikr, especially the islamic republic of the USA and Japan
Reply 79
Are those opposing it willing to take financial responsibility of holding these convicts (murders, rapists etc...) in prisons and relieving those who support it of any financial burden to take care of these people??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending