The Student Room Group

Proof of Product Rule

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1446310451.519026.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1446310464.297386.jpg
I don't understand the bit I circled in the proof. Why as small delta X tends towards 0 does small delta y/small delta X tend toward dy/dx etc. ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anoymous1111
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1446310451.519026.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1446310464.297386.jpg
I don't understand the bit I circled in the proof. Why as small delta X tends towards 0 does small delta y/small delta X tend toward dy/dx etc. ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The definition of dydx \frac{dy}{dx} is as the limit of δyδx \frac{\delta y}{\delta x} as δx \delta x tends to 0. This is because it is an "instantaneous gradient".
Original post by 16Characters....
The definition of dydx \frac{dy}{dx} is as the limit of δyδx \frac{\delta y}{\delta x} as δx \delta x tends to 0. This is because it is an "instantaneous gradient".

Oh I see. And what exactly does limit mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I see. And what exactly does limit mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What it is approaching. i.e. the limit of f(x) as x tends to c is the value towards which f(x) approaches as x gets closer and closer to c.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically, thinking of a graph of y=f(x)y = f(x), to find the average gradient of the graph, you'd do ΔyΔx=f(x+δx)f(x)(x+δx)x=f(x+δx)f(x)δx\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \frac{ f(x+\delta x) - f(x)}{(x+\delta x) - x} = \frac{f(x+\delta x) - f(x)}{\delta x}
Typically, to find the gradient between 2 points, δx\delta x is rather big, but if we're trying to find the tangent, we need to make the distance between the two points as small as possible, so we make the tangent at that point to be the gradient of x at the 'limit' as δx\delta x approaches 0

If we tried y = x^2
dydx=limδx0ΔyΔx=limδx0(x+δx)2x2δx=limδx02xδx+(δx)2δx=limδx02x+δx\frac{dy}{dx} = \displaystyle\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \displaystyle\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{(x+\delta x)^2 -x^2}{\delta x} = \displaystyle\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{2x\delta x + (\delta x)^2}{\delta x} = \displaystyle\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} 2x + \delta x
As the change in x approaches 0, the gradient approaches 2x

In the book, instead of saying f(x+δx) f(x+\delta x) it's saying y+δyy + \delta y or v+δvv + \delta v
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Callum Scott
Basically, thinking of a graph of y=f(x)y = f(x), to find the average gradient of the graph, you'd do ΔyΔx=f(x+δx)f(x)(x+δx)x=f(x+δx)f(x)δx\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \frac{ f(x+\delta x) - f(x)}{(x+\delta x) - x} = \frac{f(x+\delta x) - f(x)}{\delta x}
Typically, to find the gradient between 2 points, δx\delta x is rather big, but if we're trying to find the tangent, we need to make the distance between the two points as small as possible, so we make the tangent at that point to be the gradient of x at the 'limit' as δx\delta x approaches 0

If we tried y = x^2
dydx=limδx0ΔyΔx=limδx0(x+δx)2x2δx=limδx02xδx+(δx)2δx=limδx02x+δx\frac{dy}{dx} = \displaystyle\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \displaystyle\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{(x+\delta x)^2 -x^2}{\delta x} = \displaystyle\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{2x\delta x + (\delta x)^2}{\delta x} = \displaystyle\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} 2x + \delta x
As the change in x approaches 0, the gradient approaches 2x

In the book, instead of saying f(x+δx) f(x+\delta x) it's saying y+δyy + \delta y or v+δvv + \delta v

So as the change in X approaches 0, the gradient of the line approaches the gradient of the tangent? Is that basically what it means?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So as the change in X approaches 0, the gradient of the line approaches the gradient of the tangent? Is that basically what it means?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah!
I've made this graph on desmos, it should help with the understanding if you still think you need it.

If you've not used desmos before, you can click on the folder icons on the left to hide and unhide the folders, you can zoom and and stuff, change the equation of the curve to anything you want; it's a pretty useful website!

the d represents the δx\delta x, hopefully you can work out the rest, but if not then just ask :smile: It should be pretty obvious from the graph that as d approaches zero, the red line [aka the secant] approaches the tangent at the point x0x_0. I've included a green general curve as well, you should see that as d approaches zero, the green curve approaches dydx\frac{dy}{dx} too!

Quick Reply

Latest