The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath University

What a levels do you need to have studied to go economics at bath. Is further maths essential?
Original post by bookster
What a levels do you need to have studied to go economics at bath. Is further maths essential?

Their website says Further Maths is "highly desirable", but only A level Maths (grade A or above) is compulsory. Overall they require A*AA, and there are no compulsory A levels other than Maths.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Their website says Further Maths is "highly desirable", but only A level Maths (grade A or above) is compulsory. Overall they require A*AA, and there are no compulsory A levels other than Maths.

Highly desirable being?

:wavey:

Hi, I'm a Mathematical Sciences student at the University of Bath.

If you haven't seen this page already, it shows that Maths is the only 'essential' A-level, and Further Maths is highly desirable (so I would suggest taking it!). It also gives the top 5 A-levels taken by people who got offers.
Highly desirable being?

It means they recommend taking it if your school offers it, because it would put your application at an advantage.
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
:wavey:

Hi, I'm a Mathematical Sciences student at the University of Bath.

If you haven't seen this page already, it shows that Maths is the only 'essential' A-level, and Further Maths is highly desirable (so I would suggest taking it!). It also gives the top 5 A-levels taken by people who got offers.

It also gives the top 5 A-levels taken by people who got offers? Could you explain that to me.
Every time I read that name, I always picture a giant bathtub.
Reply 7
Original post by doctorwhofan98
It means they recommend taking it if your school offers it, because it would put your application at an advantage.

What if I'm taking maths and the three sciences (physics, chemistry, biology).
Wouldn't that be too much?
It also gives the top 5 A-levels taken by people who got offers? Could you explain that to me.

So they've looked at everyone's A-levels for the people who got offers. Excluding Maths and Economics:

25% of the people who got offers took Further Maths
23% of the people took Physics
12% took History
12% took Chemistry
11% took Geography.

If you list every subject possible then it'll go over 100% (as someone who took Further Maths may also have taken Physics so they're counted twice), for example.

It doesn't mean that you 'need' to do any of those 5 subjects (except Further Maths, though that isn't 'necessary' but 'highly desirable' but it's just for your own information about what makes a successful applicant.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by SeanFM
So they've looked at everyone's A-levels for the people who got offers. Excluding Maths and Economics:

25% of the people who got offers took Further Maths
23% of the people took Physics
12% took History
12% took Chemistry
11% took Geography.

If you list every subject possible then it'll go over 100% (as someone who took Further Maths may also have taken Physics so they're counted twice), for example.

It doesn't mean that you 'need' to do any of those 5 subjects (except Further Maths, though that isn't 'necessary' but 'highly desirable' but it's just for your own information about what makes a successful applicant.

I've taken maths and the three sciences. Will that be good enough?
What if I'm taking maths and the three sciences (physics, chemistry, biology).
Wouldn't that be too much?

Maths and three sciences would be fine, but do look at the information SeanFM provided - 25% of successful applicants took Further Maths, so it may help your application if you take it. Of course, all four of your subjects are well respected, but taking Further Maths may help you even more when trying to get offers. It may also help in the long term, when you're doing your degree, particularly as an Economics degree will entail a lot of Maths, and you're not taking A level Economics.

Essentially - not taking Further Maths won't really be an issue. But taking it may help you when you're trying to get offers, and when you're actually doing your degree. :smile:
I've taken maths and the three sciences. Will that be good enough?

doctorwhofan98 sums it up pretty well :smile:

I know that in the degree at Bath you deal with a lot of stats/maths so taking Further Maths might be a good idea.

Also think about your other choices and whether they'll need/desire Further Maths, for example LSE.

Quick Reply

Latest