The Student Room Group

Moving to London. TSR what should I know?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RiotGirll
Got a good job :borat:

Try to get a flat near your job (unless your job is in Canary Wharf or somewhere like that). If that's not possible, try to get a flat near a very straightforward tube ride to your job. Reducing your commute will have a big impact on your quality of day to day life in London.
Reply 21

man likes to diss randoms, fam

if you wanna get shouted at, go on bruv :colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Got a good job :borat:

You will find that the cost of living and transport is alot, you will run out really quickly

Goodluck
Reply 23
Where in London? :smile:

Hillingdon. West London is supposedly one of nicer areas. Still an absolute sh*thole in most places.
Tune in to Rinse FM.

Thanks different how? :smile:

For a start, their accent is different, but that's no biggie. They just "do stuff" differently, in a more urgent/no-nonsense kind of way. Also, I reckon it's a lot more "multi-cultural" than the north.

Rush hour is a nightmare though :lol:
Reply 26
Original post by Yellow 03
Try to get a flat near your job (unless your job is in Canary Wharf or somewhere like that). If that's not possible, try to get a flat near a very straightforward tube ride to your job. Reducing your commute will have a big impact on your quality of day to day life in London.

What is a "good" commute for London?

Also how hard is it to get home from partying at night :colondollar:

ivy.98
if you wanna get shouted on, go on bruv

come and join man on the wild side

Spoiler

Kiytt
Hillingdon. West London is supposedly one of nicer areas. Still an absolute sh*thole in most places.

Why a ****hole? Crime?
I'm going at the start of December when it will probably be freezing :eek:

Not decided on an area to live in yet but I can afford something pretty decent

What should I know?

It's bloody expensive here, so make sure you get a really good paying job.
I'm going at the start of December when it will probably be freezing :eek:

Not decided on an area to live in yet but I can afford something pretty decent

What should I know?

I just moved here last year, been here over a year now. A few tips are rooms go really fast when trying to rent places. Try and decide roughly where you want to stay then check out that area. Also follow the tube map to find out the best way for you to commute to work/uni/etc. I wish I had done this when I moved as I worked in SW and I moved in SE which wasn't the best.

I'm now living in Notting Hill which is much much nicer than where I was but I'm a special case as I get accommodation as part of my job. However Hammersmith and Putney area are pretty good and young. It's where I would live if I had to pay.

Let me knowby PM or here if you have any other questions or if you need me to check anything out for you while I'm out and about :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Indeterminate
For a start, their accent is different, but that's no biggie. They just "do stuff" differently, in a more urgent/no-nonsense kind of way. Also, I reckon it's a lot more "multi-cultural" than the north.

Rush hour is a nightmare though :lol:

What times is rush hour? I'm guessing it's longer than up North :lol:
Reply 30
BASICALLY

oyster card for travel (or contactless whatever)

lidls and aldis for food

Don't go near Stonerbridge, Harlesden, Neasden etc. even Kingsbury is a bit meh

Harrow is ****e too, Edgware is quite good...

i suggest getting an apartment in Edgware Road, everything is a few bus stops away - attractions, oxford street, marble arch, etc. it's a bit loud though but shops are open til late and everything you need is like 2 minutes away.

ummmm - clothes from Marks and Spencers oh and TK MAXX is heaven. Brent Cross is nice for shopping, Oxford Street obviously but that's expensive, wembley central - the outlet is good for food and Superdry but not much else. The H&M there is ****... Westfield is love, Westfield is life

don't ever be alone at night by yourself - if you are have your phone charged, in your hand and always have your keys out way before you get to the door. walk fast. you're going to be bothered by beggars 24/7 in central

don't make eye contact with anybody. School kids will be everywhere and will piss you off. Some of them if you're in a really busy bus straight after school will literally throw things at you.

mind the gap on the trains... central line gets so ****ing hot and stuffed you won't be able to breathe,
as you're going into central on the trains your ears will explode like on airplanes

hmmmm idk if i covered everything but if you have any questions ask awayyy!!
What are good places to visit if you're not a tourist? x

It doesn't seem meh :colondollar: how?

Central London. So zone 1 places. Piccadilly Circus,Hyde park,South Ken :smile: Covent gardens,Oxford Circus for retail therapy of course :wink:
queen lives there its busy got big ben and david cameron in the hos8es of apiarliament
Reply 33
Original post by lyrical_lie
I just moved here last year, been here over a year now. A few tips are rooms go really fast when trying to rent places. Try and decide roughly where you want to stay then check out that area. Also follow the tube map to find out the best way for you to commute to work/uni/etc. I wish I had done this when I moved as I worked in SW and I moved in SE which wasn't the best.

I'm now living in Notting Hill which is much much nicer than where I was but I'm a special case as I get accommodation as part of my job. However Hammersmith and Putney area are pretty good and young. It's where I would live if I had to pay.

Let me knowby PM or here if you have any other questions or if you need me to check anything out for you while I'm out and about :smile:

I'm working in the City but have an admin job so will be running around a lot picking up stuff for people, what's a good location? :smile:

Thanks in advance :colondollar:
What times is rush hour? I'm guessing it's longer than up North :lol:

Things get really sticky between 5 and 7pm, but it's a busy place at the best of times :lol:
Reply 35
Original post by queen-bee
Central London. So zone 1 places. Piccadilly Circus,Hyde park,South Ken :smile: Covent gardens,Oxford Circus for retail therapy of course :wink:

yass and HARRODS

i may be broke af but that doesn't stop me from window shopping and spraying on AAAAAAALLLLLLL the perfumes
Reply 36
Original post by z33
BASICALLY

oyster card for travel (or contactless whatever)

lidls and aldis for food

Don't go near Stonerbridge, Harlesden, Neasden etc. even Kingsbury is a bit meh

Harrow is ****e too, Edgware is quite good...

i suggest getting an apartment in Edgware Road, everything is a few bus stops away - attractions, oxford street, marble arch, etc. it's a bit loud though but shops are open til late and everything you need is like 2 minutes away.

ummmm - clothes from Marks and Spencers oh and TK MAXX is heaven. Brent Cross is nice for shopping, Oxford Street obviously but that's expensive, wembley central - the outlet is good for food and Superdry but not much else. The H&M there is ****... Westfield is love, Westfield is life

don't ever be alone at night by yourself - if you are have your phone charged, in your hand and always have your keys out way before you get to the door. walk fast. you're going to be bothered by beggars 24/7 in central

don't make eye contact with anybody. School kids will be everywhere and will piss you off. Some of them if you're in a really busy bus straight after school will literally throw things at you.

mind the gap on the trains... central line gets so ****ing hot and stuffed you won't be able to breathe,
as you're going into central on the trains your ears will explode like on airplanes

hmmmm idk if i covered everything but if you have any questions ask awayyy!!

Omg thank you repped :biggrin:

Yeah I don't do Waitrose haha. Do you even have Greggs in London though never seen one lol

Is Edgware Road cheap for accommodation?

What's the best way to get home from nights out? I usually catch bus or walk here because I live close to the city centre, I am good at staying safe alone but in London would i have to get an expensive taxi?

Avoid schoolkids on buses got it :borat:

thank youuu :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by Indeterminate
Things get really sticky between 5 and 7pm, but it's a busy place at the best of times :lol:

Haha ok :teehee: What about the mornings btw?
Reply 38
Original post by queen-bee

retail therapy yasssssssss :wink:
Haha ok :teehee: What about the mornings btw?

Around 7am to just before 10.

I guess you need to get used to the idea of being stuck in huge crowds of people :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest