The Student Room Group

Moving to London. TSR what should I know?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by z33
yass and HARRODS

i may be broke af but that doesn't stop me from window shopping and spraying on AAAAAAALLLLLLL the perfumes

A girl actually shop lifted from harrods once but she couldn't get away,the security guards chased after her
Reply 41
Original post by RiotGirll
Why a ****hole? Crime?

I guess it's just a combination of things you'll find in any city. Pollution, traffic, noise, rude people, crowds, crime, gangs. No real sense of community either.

Guess I just hate cities, really.
Reply 42
Original post by Indeterminate
Around 7am to just before 10.

I guess you need to get used to the idea of being stuck in huge crowds of people :tongue:

I live in Blackpool so we get loads of people in summer. London is crazy tho :colondollar:

So long as people aren't dodgy I don't mind being in a crowd
I'm working in the City but have an admin job so will be running around a lot picking up stuff for people, what's a good location? :smile:

Thanks in advance :colondollar:

Probably somewhere on the jubilee line/dlr as that goes to canary warf and such. I lived in Canada Water, SE which was ok straight on the jubilee line and only 25 minutes or so to Westminster. It really depends on money. I was paying £600pm including bills for a room in Deptford, nearer the Canada Water side plus my monthly oyster which was about £100odd.
Reply 44
Original post by queen-bee
A girl actually shop lifted from harrods once but she couldn't get away,the security guards chased after her

Do you need to look a certain way to get into harrods btw?
Reply 45
Omg thank you repped :biggrin:

Yeah I don't do Waitrose haha. Do you even have Greggs in London though never seen one lol

Is Edgware Road cheap for accommodation?

What's the best way to get home from nights out? I usually catch bus or walk here because I live close to the city centre, I am good at staying safe alone but in London would i have to get an expensive taxi?

Avoid schoolkids on buses got it :borat:

thank youuu :biggrin:

Greggs is litERALLY everywhere... well maybe not there's more Subways and Wenzels but Gregg is EVERYWHERE in central!

idk if it's cheap for accomodation but here have a look:
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/property/london/edgware-road-w2/?beds_min=0&category=residential&include_shared_accommodation=true&price_frequency=per_week&q=Edgware%20Road%2C%20&radius=0&results_sort=newest_listings&search_source=refine

prices vary...

hmm idk taxis aren't THAT expensive like they're £15 from Brent to Central... which is like a 25 min drive... i think that's the safest option but don't get any random taxi that's dangerous too. You could get the bus i've been on buses regularly by myself at like 11 at night (they're surprisingly packed!) and it's been fine no bad experiences yet! but i think the trains will have more weird people on them. In fact i've had worse experiences in broad daylight!

Generally they don't bother you if you dont bother them so keep a low profile

ask more haha i love this it's like the only knowledge i have :tongue:
Original post by z33
Greggs is litERALLY everywhere... well maybe not there's more Subways and Wenzels but Gregg is EVERYWHERE in central!

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/property/london/edgware-road-w2/?beds_min=0&category=residential&include_shared_accommodation=true&price_frequency=per_week&q=Edgware%20Road%2C%20&radius=0&results_sort=newest_listings&search_source=refine

prices vary...

hmm idk taxis aren't THAT expensive like they're £15 from Brent to Central... which is like a 25 min drive... i think that's the safest option but don't get any random taxi that's dangerous too. You could get the bus i've been on buses regularly by myself at like 11 at night (they're surprisingly packed!) and it's been fine no bad experiences yet! but i think the trains will have more weird people on them. In fact i've had worse experiences in broad daylight!

I can never find Greggs round here :cry2: Just stupid Pretts. Back in Glasgow you couldn't move for Greggs.
Reply 47

daymmmm... she's brave af - shoplifting from Harrods! i mean i get shops on oxford street (did some work experience at the body shop and some guy picked up a box of 35 body butters and walked out... got away and then some girls came in and took a whole bunch of lip glosses and ran off - in the span of like 4 days) but HARRODS

security there is mad!
I live in Blackpool so we get loads of people in summer. London is crazy tho :colondollar:

So long as people aren't dodgy I don't mind being in a crowd

Fair enough, but there are quite a few 'dodgy' areas that you'd need to be careful in (e.g. areas like Tottenham, Hackney are quite bad). So it's a big, busy city, but it can be dangerous too...
Original post by z33
daymmmm... she's brave af - shoplifting from Harrods! i mean i get shops on oxford street (did some work experience at the body shop and some guy picked up a box of 35 body butters and walked out... got away and then some girls came in and took a whole bunch of lip glosses and ran off - in the span of like 4 days) but HARRODS

security there is mad!

Did she honestly think she was going to get away,how dumb do you have to be to attempt to rob a store like harrods and think you can get away with it
Reply 50
Original post by lyrical_lie
I can never find Greggs round here :cry2: Just stupid Pretts. Back in Glasgow you couldn't move for Greggs.

what?! i literally see Greggs everywhere! what's so good about it though haha i've only been once and it wasn't like a life changing experience - i prefer Wenzels

greggs.jpg
you need to learn the Lambeth Walk... everybody's doing it !

[video="youtube;H42VL7EIaIg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H42VL7EIaIg[/video]
Reply 52
Did she honestly think she was going to get away,how dumb do you have to be to attempt to rob a store like harrods and think you can get away with it

inittttt there's like a security guard every 10 cm haha girl's crazy
Reply 53
Omg thank you repped :biggrin:

Yeah I don't do Waitrose haha. Do you even have Greggs in London though never seen one lol

Is Edgware Road cheap for accommodation?

What's the best way to get home from nights out? I usually catch bus or walk here because I live close to the city centre, I am good at staying safe alone but in London would i have to get an expensive taxi?

Avoid schoolkids on buses got it :borat:

thank youuu :biggrin:

Uber is quite affordable for a late night ride home if the taxi drivers won't go your way. But in general you can catch a night bus that will take you very close to home. I travelled from North to West london by bus before in the early hours of the morning before. It's quite safe as well, most people are either drunk, asleep or really tired and won't bother you at all.

We are all waiting for the 24/7 weekend tube services to behin. Oh, prepare to have your day ****ed over when there's tube or busses strikes. Those are not fun days! Avoid using the buses in busy areas when there is a tube strikes, it is faster to walk at times :lol:
Original post by z33
what?! i literally see Greggs everywhere! what's so good about it though haha i've only been once and it wasn't like a life changing experience - i prefer Wenzels

greggs.jpg

I don't live in that area sadly. I live on the other side of hyde park :cry2:
Reply 55
Original post by lyrical_lie
I don't live in that area sadly. I live on the other side of hyde park :cry2:

what like kensington? that is literally a desert
Original post by z33
what like kensington? that is literally a desert

Yea, Notting Hill. I agree just starbucks and pretts. (and tourists)
Reply 57
Original post by z33

prices vary...

Thank you :biggrin: is it best to rent from letting agencies btw and not go private?

oh yeah the night tube is starting soon isn't it? :smile:

By keep a low profile do you mean dress conservatively etc.? Maybe it's a Northern thing but though it's really cold here a lot of my friends, me not so much, dress really revealingly on nights out etc. and guys whistle etc. but not had any real problems. Whereas I heard that in London you get a lot of dodgy guys, I've seen a lot round the coach station and stuff

you're so helpful thanks :love: :biggrin:
In Oxford Street it's socially acceptable to barge into people and then look at your shoulder as if they're the one that came in like a wrecking ball towards you.
I live in the central part of the city, and it is really nice around here :biggrin:

If you go to some places outside central london, you'll just find undignified people, dirty streets and a bunch of wannabe gangsters.

So yeah, stick to the central parts if you can :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest