The Student Room Group

Moving to London. TSR what should I know?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by lyrical_lie
Yea, Notting Hill. I agree just starbucks and pretts. (and tourists)

awh man that sucks

haha everytime im in central i act like such a tourist

ive been to the imax 4d thingy like 10 times and Hamley's Toy Store is my dream - i might work there in my gap year and just take selfies with Woody all day

ugh my childhood BAE
Reply 61
Original post by Indeterminate
Fair enough, but there are quite a few 'dodgy' areas that you'd need to be careful in (e.g. areas like Tottenham, Hackney are quite bad). So it's a big, busy city, but it can be dangerous too...

I wouldn't need to go in those areas :smile:

Are places like Camden or Shoreditch "dodgy"? How about the Isle of Dogs? I really like it but seen some gangs in parts

ipoop
Uber is quite affordable for a late night ride home if the taxi drivers won't go your way. But in general you can catch a night bus that will take you very close to home. I travelled from North to West london by bus before in the early hours of the morning before. It's quite safe as well, most people are either drunk, asleep or really tired and won't bother you at all.

We are all waiting for the 24/7 weekend tube services to behin. Oh, prepare to have your day ****ed over when there's tube or busses strikes. Those are not fun days! Avoid using the buses in busy areas when there is a tube strikes, it is faster to walk at times

Aren't Uber drivers dodgy sometimes though? (never used but they're always in teh news)

I thought late night London buses were going to get you knifed but OK haha.

How often are tube strikes? I could maybe cycle but I heard cycling in London is dangerous :lol:
Reply 62
Original post by Most Competitive
I live in the central part of the city, and it is really nice around here :biggrin:

If you go to some places outside central london, you'll just find undignified people, dirty streets and a bunch of wannabe gangsters.

So yeah, stick to the central parts if you can :smile:

Where do you live?

I could have moved to London earlier as I had another job offer but I waited. It means I can afford a decent area though, suggestions? :biggrin:
Know the tube prices for different zones so you dont get a nasty shock when you realise your oyster card is in the minus.
Be prepared to elbow people on public transport especially during peak times.
It's very multicultural so if you're not used to that it may surprise you.
Apparently it's expensive but London's all i know so it's normal to me.
Not all of London is Posh!!!!!! A lot of it is quite the opposite.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by RiotGirll
What are good places to visit if you're not a tourist? x

It doesn't seem meh :colondollar: how?

It has it's meh days
Yes it's all vibrant and the people are all sorts
but if you are at the wrong place at the wrong time,
You will get rekt (well the day that is, not you :tongue:)
Reply 65
Original post by thecatwithnohat
In Oxford Street it's socially acceptable to barge into people and then look at your shoulder as if they're the one that came in like a wrecking ball towards you.

I think its a tourist thing. Some Italian bitches here in Blackpool came and tried to shove past me and my friends at a bar here, fortunately I know the owner so they got thrown out for elbowing us and stuff :lol: They said we started it too when the bouncer saw them lmao

[video="youtube;pauwBE1Rxfw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pauwBE1Rxfw[/video]
I'm going at the start of December when it will probably be freezing :eek:

Not decided on an area to live in yet but I can afford something pretty decent

What should I know?

You live in Blackpool. It's not going to be colder than Blackpool. :laugh:

Original post by Indeterminate
I spent 3 years at a London university, albeit in private accommodation.

It's an awesome place to live in terms of being able to meet new people and have a good time. At first, though, it felt like this huge place where it's easy to get lost. The people are slightly different (to how they are here in the north) but (in my experience) mostly nice :biggrin:

Different in what way?
lots of people live in london its a big bloody- biggest city in the whole world
Where do you live?

I could have moved to London earlier as I had another job offer but I waited. It means I can afford a decent area though, suggestions? :biggrin:

Chelsea

Personally, I think areas like Clapham and Brixton come under the 'decent' category :bigsmile:
Reply 69
Original post by LeyK
It has it's meh days
Yes it's all vibrant and the people are all sorts
but if you are at the wrong place at the wrong time,
You will get rekt (well the day that is, not you :tongue:)

You mean places like peckham? :tongue:
I think its a tourist thing. Some Italian bitches here in Blackpool came and tried to shove past me and my friends at a bar here, fortunately I know the owner so they got thrown out for elbowing us and stuff :lol: They said we started it too when the bouncer saw them lmao

[video="youtube;pauwBE1Rxfw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pauwBE1Rxfw[/video]

Nah, everyone does it, especially during boxing day :eek: DON'T EVER GO OUT DURING BOXING DAY SALES.
Original post by Most Competitive
Chelsea

Personally, I think areas like Clapham and Brixton come under the 'decent' category :bigsmile:

I do too.. :rofl:
Reply 72
Original post by Frappé
Know the tube prices for different zones so you dont get a nasty shock when you realise your oyster card is in the minus.
Be prepared to elbow people on public transport especially during peak times.
It's very multicultural so if you're not used to that it may surprise you.
Apparently it's expensive but London's all i know so it's normal to me.
Not all of London is Posh!!!!!! A lot of it is quite the opposite.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you have to elbow them for, wouldn't that start an argument :colondollar:

Blackpool isn't so multicultural but I don't mind multicultural areas diversity is good :smile:

Most Competitive
Chelsea

Personally, I think areas like Clapham and Brixton come under the 'decent' category

How much are rents around there?

Clapham seems decent. Brixton is said to be full of hipsters though, I'm into alternative culture myself but they're stuck up ****s so I'd rather not live in an area full of them :biggrin:
Start building your upper body strength now for when you have to wrestle your way onto the tube.
Why do you have to elbow them for, wouldn't that start an argument :colondollar:

Blackpool isn't so multicultural but I don't mind multicultural areas diversity is good :smile:

How much are rents around there?

Clapham seems decent. Brixton is said to be full of hipsters though, I'm into alternative culture myself but they're stuck up ****s so I'd rather not live in an area full of them :biggrin:

Chelsea? Expect to pay at least £1000 a month for a 1 bed flat. Clapham might be similar.

Crystal Palace is another "more affordable but decent" area.
I live in zone 6, used to commute three hours a day to and from uni :smile: it's ok I guess
Reply 76
Original post by shawn_o1
I live in zone 6, used to commute three hours a day to and from uni :smile: it's ok I guess

That's nuts where did you go to uni?!
Reply 77
You mean places like peckham? :tongue:

It's always in the South (Where I live unfortunately :frown:, Temporarily :colone:) where things happen
Reply 78
Original post by LeyK
It's always in the South (Where I live unfortunately :frown:, Temporarily :colone:)

I thought Hackney was bad too :colone:

As a non Londoner the South seems to have some really nice areas like Richmond!
It depends from your status honestly. I have moved as well some time ago. Make sure that you have a job with good pay cause you will have to spend a lot of money for the first months+ things are expensive in here. It has a very mixed culture here, so get used to it. Btw things are competitive...

Quick Reply

Latest