The Student Room Group

When employers dont get back to you after an interview

Does anyone else think that when employers fail to get back to you with regards to if you got the job or not that its usually that they've rejected you for a silly reason?
I'm noticing a pattern here and truely believe when its down to something silly like personality they just dont bother calling as they know they will be questioned why they havent given an offer and probably can't think of anything to say!
It's simply because many employers are ungreatfull, obnoxious ********s
Tempted to agree,other than the time I've attended assement centres I've never gotten that call/email they said they would give to let me know if i got the job and always just assumed a cowardly rejection :frown:
Original post by chosenone93
Does anyone else think that when employers fail to get back to you with regards to if you got the job or not that its usually that they've rejected you for a silly reason?
I'm noticing a pattern here and truely believe when its down to something silly like personality they just dont bother calling as they know they will be questioned why they havent given an offer and probably can't think of anything to say!

In the lines of 'We have found someone with more experience' usually explains it all for some employers.
They're just complete morons tbh, keep applying and trying - you'll get in. I just secured a part-time position at Greggs :biggrin:, and i'm very glad other employers rejected me, cos I found them equally as rude.
Reply 5
Sometimes the sheer scale of applicants makes contacting each one individually to let them know that they have been unsuccessful a time-consuming task impossible to justify. Silly or not, ultimately, getting the job or otherwise boils down to the recruitment scoring system. If you gain the most points, you win! The trick is to study the person specification and role requirements and state as many self qualities relevant to them as you can fit in throughout the recruitment process.

Don't be disheartened - every failed application is practice for the successful one.
Original post by Boreism
In the lines of 'We have found someone with more experience' usually explains it all for some employers.

even for an entry level role? (which I've recently interviewed for and still not heard nothing)

Original post by CCC75
Sometimes the sheer scale of applicants makes contacting each one individually to let them know that they have been unsuccessful a time-consuming task impossible to justify. Silly or not, ultimately, getting the job or otherwise boils down to the recruitment scoring system. If you gain the most points, you win! The trick is to study the person specification and role requirements and state as many self qualities relevant to them as you can fit in throughout the recruitment process.

Don't be disheartened - every failed application is practice for the successful one.

i've been to interviews with very small companies/start ups I hardly doubt there were that much applicants besides me yet they still dont care to get back to you.
Reply 7

i've been to interviews with very small companies/start ups I hardly doubt there were that much applicants besides me yet they still dont care to get back to you.

Which brings us back to the scoring system and the company's capacity to contact all job applicants after the recruitment process is ended. Small company = less staff time free just to apologise to candidates that their performance wasn't scored as highly as another.

You can request feedback. It is more forthcoming if you request it via email. Less passing from pillar to post and the person that the buck falls to feeling like they've been put on the spot.

Best of luck with your job hunting. I totally sympathise as it can feel like it's chipping away at your soul. Honestly, keep at it and make it your mission to improve with each rejection.
Original post by CCC75
Which brings us back to the scoring system and the company's capacity to contact all job applicants after the recruitment process is ended. Small company = less staff time free just to apologise to candidates that their performance wasn't scored as highly as another.

You can request feedback. It is more forthcoming if you request it via email. Less passing from pillar to post and the person that the buck falls to feeling like they've been put on the spot.

Best of luck with your job hunting. I totally sympathise as it can feel like it's chipping away at your soul. Honestly, keep at it and make it your mission to improve with each rejection.

Prettttty much accurate on all accounts. The number of applicants in smaller companies is still a lot for entry level/graduate jobs. It's actually harder to hire for the high paid positions, it took us a year to find a mid level consultant, even very few applicants (comparatively) when we raised the daily rate to £400/d. Whereas our 18k/y and lower positions are filled with applicants.

I couldn't reply to everyone in the day as we once had 100 ish CV's pushed to us by the headhunter (who had to acknowledge this to said applicant) within a week! If I did this I'd need to justify to my boss why I'm spending so much time doing this when I have other responsibilities. Otherwise I'll have to work over the hours.

If you want some feedback, send an email. Usually this will net you a response if you are polite about it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Having recruited myself, both at smaller and larger companies, it just depends. Generally speaking, I believe it's common courtesy to reply back by email to those that came for an interview. It's different if they've only submitted a cover letter and/or CV, but if they passed that stage and actually came to the office to see me in person, the least I could do is ask HR to inform them that they were unsuccessful or to do it myself. However, in some cases, if the interview went particularly badly, for whatever reason, or they made it apparent that they weren't particularly interested (perhaps they had another job lined up and were merely using this interview to keep their options open), I might decide not to get back to them, only replying back if they bother to enquire.
even for an entry level role? (which I've recently interviewed for and still not heard nothing)

Unfortunately in most cases yes when there are about more than 15 other people in the interview line. :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by ron_trns
it took us a year to find a mid level consultant

What happened? As in why did it take so long and did you find them eventually?
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
It's simply because many employers are ungreatfull, obnoxious ********s

Ungrateful. They should be honoured that you applied!
Original post by Speckle
Ungrateful. They should be honoured that you applied!

If they had any honour, they would at least reply to say either say yes or no rather than not getting back to you at all. Obviously not saying all employers fit this ^ criteria but the majority unfortunately do

Managers can reject you on something as trivial as your face doesn't fit. They have to think about their other employees and if they think you won't fit in or might cause tension of hostility they won't give you the job, It wouldn't bother me, move on and apply for something else,
How long did it take for them to tell you to come to the interview.
Original post by hippieglitter
Managers can reject you on something as trivial as your face doesn't fit. They have to think about their other employees and if they think you won't fit in or might cause tension of hostility they won't give you the job, It wouldn't bother me, move on and apply for something else,

In some certain cases they hire you because of your race (called positive racism).
This was how I got my current job simply because of my race along with the usefulness of having a degree.
Original post by hippieglitter

yeah starting to realise its all a bit like dating,they just go with the best option that appears to be availble to them and whom they pick may not be who stays longest nor who treats them the best :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending