The Student Room Group

Moving to London. TSR what should I know?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hashim123
Different in what way?

See P2, post #26 :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by Annie Loreen
It depends from your status honestly. I have moved as well some time ago. Make sure that you have a job with good pay cause you will have to spend a lot of money for the first months+ things are expensive in here. It has a very mixed culture here, so get used to it. Btw things are competitive...

Where did you move from?
Original post by RiotGirll
I wouldn't need to go in those areas :smile:

Are places like Camden or Shoreditch "dodgy"? How about the Isle of Dogs? I really like it but seen some gangs in parts

Well Camden is a bit dodgy, and so is IOD, but Shoreditch is fine :smile:
I'm working in the City but have an admin job so will be running around a lot picking up stuff for people, what's a good location? :smile:

Thanks in advance :colondollar:

Mind if I ask what you're working as?
Reply 84
Original post by Indeterminate
Well Camden is a bit dodgy, and so is IOD, but Shoreditch is fine :smile:

How dodgy is the IOD? I know it's so remote but I actually like it :getmecoat:

I heard Shoreditch was cheap but OK because it was full of hipsters and posh people don't want to live there haha, is that true? :smile:
See P2, post #26 :smile:

Ah, OP beat me to it. :laugh: Thanks.
That's nuts where did you go to uni?!

Queen Mary (in east London)
Where I live requires two changes of train
Reply 87
I wouldn't need to go in those areas :smile:

Are places like Camden or Shoreditch "dodgy"? How about the Isle of Dogs? I really like it but seen some gangs in parts

Aren't Uber drivers dodgy sometimes though? (never used but they're always in teh news)

I thought late night London buses were going to get you knifed but OK haha.

How often are tube strikes? I could maybe cycle but I heard cycling in London is dangerous :lol:

I only mentioned Uber because it's convenient. When you're tired, cold and don't know where you are exactly or have no cash on hand, it's hard to call for a cab. But there's a truckload of properly licensed, non-controversial cab companies in London. Black cabs still are the best in my opinion because the drivers actually know their stuff. And it feels a bit more like London being in a black cab, if you don't mind paying a little bit extra. But from personal experience, avoid taking them if you're heading somewhere that is heavily congested, I paid £60 a couple of months for a journey that only costs me on average ££20 because of traffic. Black cabs are serious business.

Well there's been quite a few strikes this year because of the 24/7 weekend tube service thing, there's bound to be some more before they all come to an agreement :colonhash: We get 2-5 strikes a year :dontknow: Also, expect tube and bus fares to go up during the first week of each year :colonhash:
I'm still alive and fine, as long as you keep to yourself no one will bother you. 10 years now living here and I've only been in 3 confrontations while out.

In terms of weekend night-life, you can't do wrong if you're anywhere in Soho.

I heard Shoreditch was cheap but OK because it was full of hipsters and posh people don't want to live there haha, is that true? :smile:

IOD is a mixture of some nice stuff and a lot of nasty stuff :lol:

Yeah I've heard that there are loads of hipsters around Shoreditch, but it is a nice area.

I reckon "posh" people would probably want to live in areas like Knightsbridge, South Kensington, Chelsea, etc :biggrin:
Reply 89
I thought Hackney was bad too :colone:

As a non Londoner the South seems to have some really nice areas like Richmond!

Richmond, Greenwich and maybe Croydon (bias tho)

besides that it's either just ok or sad :s-smilie:
London, eh? You'll pay diamonds for dirt. You'll be so caught up in city life that you will forget what it really means to be happy. Oh, and did I mention that you will never own a home in London? Like, ever.
Reply 91
Original post by z33
BASICALLY

oyster card for travel (or contactless whatever)

lidls and aldis for food

Don't go near Stonerbridge, Harlesden, Neasden etc. even Kingsbury is a bit meh

Harrow is ****e too, Edgware is quite good...

i suggest getting an apartment in Edgware Road, everything is a few bus stops away - attractions, oxford street, marble arch, etc. it's a bit loud though but shops are open til late and everything you need is like 2 minutes away.

ummmm - clothes from Marks and Spencers oh and TK MAXX is heaven. Brent Cross is nice for shopping, Oxford Street obviously but that's expensive, wembley central - the outlet is good for food and Superdry but not much else. The H&M there is ****... Westfield is love, Westfield is life

don't ever be alone at night by yourself - if you are have your phone charged, in your hand and always have your keys out way before you get to the door. walk fast. you're going to be bothered by beggars 24/7 in central

don't make eye contact with anybody. School kids will be everywhere and will piss you off. Some of them if you're in a really busy bus straight after school will literally throw things at you.

mind the gap on the trains... central line gets so ****ing hot and stuffed you won't be able to breathe,
as you're going into central on the trains your ears will explode like on airplanes

hmmmm idk if i covered everything but if you have any questions ask awayyy!!

heyhey harrow is beautiful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ivy.98
Don't be chatty to randoms on public transport and for the love of God, stand on the right of underground escalators

why cant you be chatty?
Reply 93
Original post by ipoop
I only mentioned Uber because it's convenient. When you're tired, cold and don't know where you are exactly or have no cash on hand, it's hard to call for a cab. But there's a truckload of properly licensed, non-controversial cab companies in London. Black cabs still are the best in my opinion because the drivers actually know their stuff. And it feels a bit more like London being in a black cab, if you don't mind paying a little bit extra. But from personal experience, avoid taking them if you're heading somewhere that is heavily congested, I paid £60 a couple of months for a journey that only costs me on average ££20 because of traffic. Black cabs are serious business.

Well there's been quite a few strikes this year because of the 24/7 weekend tube service thing, there's bound to be some more before they all come to an agreement :colonhash: We get 2-5 strikes a year :dontknow: Also, expect tube and bus fares to go up during the first week of each year :colonhash:
I'm still alive and fine, as long as you keep to yourself no one will bother you. 10 years now living here and I've only been in 3 confrontations while out.

In terms of weekend night-life, you can't do wrong if you're anywhere in Soho.

By know their stuff do you mean get there faster or give you a history lesson? :tongue:

How much do they go up by? :colonhash:

3 confrontations is quite a lot TBH were they violent? :eek: I go out a lot up North and never once been in one and I'm not particularly quiet, I'm a girl though :colondollar:

I thought Soho was seedy no offence? Or is that just a stereotype? :tongue:
Reply 94
I'm moving to London soon, too! We'll be neighbours!
Reply 95
IOD is a mixture of some nice stuff and a lot of nasty stuff :lol:

Yeah I've heard that there are loads of hipsters around Shoreditch, but it is a nice area.

I reckon "posh" people would probably want to live in areas like Knightsbridge, South Kensington, Chelsea, etc :biggrin:

Thanks for saying! Where is the nasty stuff, further from Canary Wharf I'm guessing? :lol:

I don't really get on with hipsters :ninja: I love "alternative" culture but the ones I've met have been really stuck up haha

Like on that horrible Made in Chelsea show? :tongue:

I lived there last year. It was fine. Didn't get killed even once. Much, much less dodgy (and cheaper) than Camden, with nicer houses. Not very happening though. You basically have to take a cab or wait until 5:30am for the tube to restart if you want to go out in the centre. Unless you want to mess around with night buses.

If you want to go a little bit further on the DLR Greenwich is lovely.
Reply 97
Original post by Juno
I'm moving to London soon, too! We'll be neighbours!

Where? :biggrin:
Reply 98
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I lived there last year. It was fine. Didn't get killed even once. Much, much less dodgy (and cheaper) than Camden, with nicer houses. Not very happening though. You basically have to take a cab or wait until 5:30am for the tube to restart if you want to go out in the centre. Unless you want to mess around with night buses.

If you want to go a little bit further on the DLR Greenwich is lovely.

Where on the IOD did you live? (If you don't want to say exactly what was the nearest DLR station? Haha) :smile:

Are night buses a no go area full of people who'll stab you then?

Yeah, the University is beautiful, never been though :frown: Is it safe too?
Reply 99
Original post by trustmeimlying1
why cant you be chatty?

Its usually the weird crazy ones that chat people up. Unless thats the case for you...

Quick Reply

Latest