The Student Room Group

Moving to London. TSR what should I know?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by ivy.98
Its usually the weird crazy ones that chat people up. Unless thats the case for you...

I'm from up North and people chat to strangers all the time here. I dont mind if it's a woman but with half the guys who do it (usually older creeps) its blatantly obvious they're being weird :mad:
Where I live, noone understands this. It's just commonplace for everyone to stand wherever the hell they want to so I have to endure the painfully long journey up/down the escalator. Worst is at the airport when you want to get to immigration quickly to avoid the queue from an incoming flight. And then you get stuck behind some sod who doesn't give a toss about courtesy.. ughhh -.-
IKR :angry: I always assume that they are tourists, because Londoners would know that pain too well
Reply 103
Original post by RiotGirll
Where? :biggrin:

Not completely sure yet. New job is South London, but Boris' job is North London, so flat hunting is fun
Reply 104
Original post by ha27
heyhey harrow is beautiful

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't dig the chavs hanging round the bus station, getting drunk and bunking school but the area looks nice
Where on the IOD did you live? (If you don't want to say exactly what was the nearest DLR station? Haha) :smile:

Are night buses a no go area full of people who'll stab you then?

Yeah, the University is beautiful, never been though :frown: Is it safe too?

I lived on a nice housing development about 5-10 mins walk SE of Crossharbour. Before that I secured a house right next to the river about 10 mins west of Mudchute, but that fell through. Both were enormously better and more spacious than anything I saw in North London (I looked extensively around Camden and Kentish Town, and then expanded it to pretty much everywhere else.)

I don't think they're dangerous, they're just really infrequent and packed full of people. And a bit chaotic. And they only go from particular places, which aren't always convenient (I think the main one for me was Trafalgar Square, although I never actually took one because I was put off the idea by a housemate.)

As far as I know it's safe. I never felt threatened walking around there. in fact I've never felt at all threatened walking around in London, except for one time I made the mistake of staying in a very cheap hotel in a dodgy looking bit of Southwark.
Be careful when cycling on roads and be cautious of cyclists when crossing roads.
Oh god the anger I've felt at this.

I particularly hate people who stand on the right, but then leave their bags or suitcases or whatever on the left. Like, they've read the sign, but they haven't applied their brains to figure out what might be the reason for it.
Reply 108
By know their stuff do you mean get there faster or give you a history lesson? :tongue:

How much do they go up by? :colonhash:

3 confrontations is quite a lot TBH were they violent? :eek: I go out a lot up North and never once been in one and I'm not particularly quiet, I'm a girl though :colondollar:

I thought Soho was seedy no offence? Or is that just a stereotype? :tongue:

They know their way around London, and yes they will give you a history lesson. Picture me, annoyed that my fare is going up as I am stuck in traffic and the man is chatting to me about George Osborne, and he had some of his facts wrong :rolleyes: But I'm sure there's ways to let them know you're not interested in chit chat, I just haven't mastered it yet.

3% last year I think it was? I don't keep up with how much they go up, I just know they do :tongue: I'm loud and clumsy, although the first time was silly and was not my fault. Haven't been in a proper brawl yet, I'm training on a weekly basis for when it finally happens :tongue:

Soho has it's charms, lots of bars, you can easily start a conversation with someone without them looking at you weird. I don't think it's seedy, there's lots of bars and nightclubs and stuff and the drinks are affordable. And food, so much food! :drool: I don't think it's seedy, even if there's a lot of sex shops about :lol: I'm in Soho every Friday TBH so my judgement could be biased :wink:
I'm from up North and people chat to strangers all the time here. I dont mind if it's a woman but with half the guys who do it (usually older creeps) its blatantly obvious they're being weird :mad:

Its really uncommon here.. I once went on a bus outside London and was surprised how people would casually talk to you. I suppose people in London just can't be arsed for small talks :indiff:
Reply 110
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I lived on a nice housing development about 5-10 mins walk SE of Crossharbour. Before that I secured a house right next to the river about 10 mins west of Mudchute, but that fell through. Both were enormously better and more spacious than anything I saw in North London (I looked extensively around Camden and Kentish Town, and then expanded it to pretty much everywhere else.)

I don't think they're dangerous, they're just really infrequent and packed full of people. And a bit chaotic. And they only go from particular places, which aren't always convenient (I think the main one for me was Trafalgar Square, although I never actually took one because I was put off the idea by a housemate.)

As far as I know it's safe. I never felt threatened walking around there. in fact I've never felt at all threatened walking around in London, except for one time I made the mistake of staying in a very cheap hotel in a dodgy looking bit of Southwark.

Thanks. How much was your rent and were you sharing?

I didn't know that, I thought they went everywhere. Why did your housemate tell you not to use them?

I haven't been round London that much, felt most threatened at Victoria Coach station tbh - loads of dodgy guys there :s-smilie:
Buy an oyster card and don't ****ing loose it
LOOL from your expressions I wouldn't be surprised if you were to push the guy out the way :lol:
Reply 113
Original post by ipoop
They know their way around London, and yes they will give you a history lesson. Picture me, annoyed that my fare is going up as I am stuck in traffic and the man is chatting to me about George Osborne, and he had some of his facts wrong :rolleyes: But I'm sure there's ways to let them know you're not interested in chit chat, I just haven't mastered it yet.

3% last year I think it was? I don't keep up with how much they go up, I just know they do :tongue: I'm loud and clumsy, although the first time was silly and was not my fault. Haven't been in a proper brawl yet, I'm training on a weekly basis for when it finally happens :tongue:

Soho has it's charms, lots of bars, you can easily start a conversation with someone without them looking at you weird. I don't think it's seedy, there's lots of bars and nightclubs and stuff and the drinks are affordable. And food, so much food! :drool: I don't think it's seedy, even if there's a lot of sex shops about :lol: I'm in Soho every Friday TBH so my judgement could be biased :wink:

Haha :lol: Some taxi drivers in Blackpool are really dodgy and will take routes I know are longer on purpose while talking my ear off, I hate that :colonhash:

Is it for inflation? :tongue: I heard guys try to start fights with other guys more but unless you swear at people or something or something that's still not on :nope:

By starting a conversation do you mean chatting them up or just general convos? I'm from up North so the latter is pretty common. I love good food, how expensive is it and where are the best restaurants? :drool: Is Soho that good that you keep going back? :tongue:
I mean was it really necessary to mention nationality? >.>
Thanks. How much was your rent and were you sharing?

I didn't know that, I thought they went everywhere. Why did your housemate tell you not to use them?

I haven't been round London that much, felt most threatened at Victoria Coach station tbh - loads of dodgy guys there :s-smilie:

There were four of us sharing a house with a garden for £620pw iirc. I paid 160 pw because I had the second best bedroom (the largest one, but no ensuite -- one of the others had an ensuite). We had no lounge, but a sofa and enough communal space in the kitchen, so it was fine. For comparison, one of the first things I saw in Camden was a ****ty, pokey ground floor flat with a metal gate on the door and graffiti everywhere outside for what would have worked out at like 180 pw each iirc.

He didn't so much tell me not to use them as arrived home one night at 4am and told me the story of how he'd left the club at 1:30 and had been messing around with the night bus since then. It was prevented from leaving because it was overcrowded with drunk people or something. I really couldn't be bothered with that.

it was actually really convenient in the day time -- 20 mins to bank from my door, 10-15 mins walk to canary wharf, and it's a nice walk because there's water everywhere.
Reply 116
Original post by TimmonaPortella
There were four of us sharing a house with a garden for £620pw iirc. I paid 160 pw because I had the second best bedroom (the largest one, but no ensuite -- one of the others had an ensuite). We had no lounge, but a sofa and enough communal space in the kitchen, so it was fine. For comparison, one of the first things I saw in Camden was a ****ty, pokey ground floor flat with a metal gate on the door and graffiti everywhere outside for what would have worked out at like 180 pw each iirc.

He didn't so much tell me not to use them as arrived home one night at 4am and told me the story of how he'd left the club at 1:30 and had been messing around with the night bus since then. It was prevented from leaving because it was overcrowded with drunk people or something. I really couldn't be bothered with that.

it was actually really convenient in the day time -- 20 mins to bank from my door, 10-15 mins walk to canary wharf, and it's a nice walk because there's water everywhere.

That's actually really good for London! :smile: Yeah, maybe it's just me, but being really "arty" Camden seems full of drugs and stuff? Someone on another thread said it was a bit trashy

I would hate that on a night out :eek:

10 to 15 minutes to Canary Wharf is a great commute IMO. Did you ever go on "nights out" around the Canary Wharf though? I heard it has some great bars
Thanks for saying! Where is the nasty stuff, further from Canary Wharf I'm guessing? :lol:

I don't really get on with hipsters :ninja: I love "alternative" culture but the ones I've met have been really stuck up haha

Like on that horrible Made in Chelsea show? :tongue:

Yup, outside the CW development. There are a few ok places too.

Tbh I've never met a hipster IRL, but I've heard all sorts about them :lol:

Kind of, but typically those areas attract some of the richest people in the world. For example, Russian billionaire (and Chelsea FC owner) Roman Abramovich lives in Kensington. Then there are the Middle-Eastern royals too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's actually really good for London! :smile: Yeah, maybe it's just me, but being really "arty" Camden seems full of drugs and stuff? Someone on another thread said it was a bit trashy

I would hate that on a night out :eek:

10 to 15 minutes to Canary Wharf is a great commute IMO. Did you ever go on "nights out" around the Canary Wharf though? I heard it has some great bars

It does seem a bit that way. I'm quite happy that I don't know too much about it, because I didn't live there :smile:

I went to a few pubs and bars in CW and ate there a few times too, but it's not that much of a happening place on the weekends. Also, Greenwich is cheaper, and it wasn't much more of a walk away.

If I wanted to go 'out out' it was usually the centre.
Reply 119
Original post by Indeterminate
Yup, outside the CW development. There are a few ok places too.

Tbh I've never met a hipster IRL, but I've heard all sorts about them :lol:

Kind of, but typically those areas attract some of the richest people in the world. For example, Russian billionaire (and Chelsea FC owner) Roman Abramovich lives in Kensington. Then there are the Middle-Eastern royals too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are the OK places/nasty areas? Ty in advance :colondollar:

I thought it was just stereotypes before I met them, I don't like judging people. But they're some of the rudest people I've met definitely avoid :lol:

Well I won't be earning billions that's for sure :frown:

TimmonaPortella
It does seem a bit that way. I'm quite happy that I don't know too much about it, because I didn't live there

I went to a few pubs and bars in CW and ate there a few times too, but it's not that much of a happening place on the weekends. Also, Greenwich is cheaper, and it wasn't much more of a walk away.

If I wanted to go 'out out' it was usually the centre.

Heh :smile:

Greenwich is across the river so do you usually walk through the tunnel even at night?

Do most people "go out" in the centre then? What's a good area if you go out often and don't want a long night commute? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest