The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XcitingStuart
It's a threat nonetheless.

Alright, Chuckles.
Original post by Tabstercat
And yet many of the world's most generous philanthropists are atheists, and majority atheist countries like Sweden have some of the highest quality of life and education standards...

Sweden is a beautiful country :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Basically just pretend if you are pretty sure they won't take it to well until you're financially self-sufficent or have a big enough non-muslim support base via friends etc. It might be difficult but that's is honestly your best. I hate the Islamic influences from my family but I just have to bear with it for the time being, you'll have to as well I'm afraid but I'm here on PM if you ever wanna chat or anything :-)
Original post by ghost88
As a fellow atheist in a Muslim family I completely understand where you're coming from, sometimes religion just doesn't make sense. For myself my parents are extremely strict and conservative Muslims and so instead of just out right saying it, I slowly implied to my parents how much I don't care about religion and now at least my very religious mother has realised that I don't really care about Islam, but I'm still pushed into it. I think that due to your family's liberal nature, they may be OK with you saying it outright, however I would wait until you are fully independent so if it doesn't go to plan, not too much will happen.

Good luck

I think it can be a bit more complex than "liberal Muslim parents=likely to be accepting", "conservative Muslim parents=unlikely to be accepting".

Some liberal, or at least minimally practising Muslims react very negatively to Muslims leaving Islam because of issues of ethnicity and national identity. I have encountered enough Muslims of Pakistani origin who are quite liberal about Islam, but interpret a Muslim of Pakistani origin leaving Islam as some sort of betrayal of their ethnicity. I think this stems from Pakistan being created as a sort of 'Muslim escape from India', and that therefore a Pakistani leaving Islam is seen as a betrayal to Pakistan (and it's reason for existing) and an endorsement of India. This is of course not true of all Pakistanis. Likewise, I have encountered a number of Arabs who minimally practice Islam and generally take a liberal view, but when it comes to leaving Islam, it is interpreted as some sort of ungratefulness for what Arab Muslims have done in the past for civilisation, and indeed a rejection of Arabic pride. Again obviously, this is not true of all Arabs.

So the strictness of how your parents follow Islam is only one consideration in estimating how they will respond. Their views on national/ethnic identity, and how important a distinct identity is at all, can play a very strong role as well.
Original post by emily Z

Again, if you wont to find out about Qadr, then listen to a talk, because It requires a lot of explaining.

Why does it require a lot of explaining? This reads more like "if you want to find out about Qadr, then listen to a talk, because it requires a lot of brainwashing"

Qadr doesn't make sense in the context of divine judgement and free will. The only way someone can "make sense" of it, is if they get drilled into them that they just got to believe and not question.
Original post by truthteller2
Get out of my country and go back to wherever your homeland is.

Her homeland could be Britain. Her parents could be Anglo-Saxon converts to Islam for all you know.

Either way, your attitude disgusts me
Original post by ssdizzy12
Some parts of the big bang theory I believe and it's even in the Quran but others I don't believe and there is not evidence for every single part of the theory.

Which parts of the theory are lacking in evidence from your study of the subject?

Plus I don't believe in the whole ancestor ape bull crap

I would hypothesise though that you don't believe in it because you don't understand it.
blah blah evidence this evidence that there is NO evidence, people like you are soooo deeply hypnotised and brain washed by lies and stupid theories from scientist and theorises.

How did you come to learn about in Islam?

You can't sit down for a second and ask yourself if all this evidence crap is really true. How are you so 100% sure that it's true?

Are you 100% sure that Islam is true?

Because someone said so? Because someone said there's evidence. LWAL go ahead, bum lick your brain washers and believe there bs irrefutable evidence crap and I'll believe mine

How did you come to believe in Islam?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Why would you have to pass on the beliefs to your children if you don't believe them? When you have your own family you'll be able to bring your children up as you please.

Thing is, if one isn't up front with their parents about what they believe or what they want, they may end up in a relationship and marriage with somebody that wouldn't be their first choice. I am not suggested a forced marriage, but it may be difficult for the OP to have a relationship and marry a man who isn't Muslim if her parents believe her to be Muslim. And if the OP is not open about their beliefs and ends up marrying a Muslim man (who may also not know her beliefs), then it is more likely that her children will have Islamic beliefs passed onto them by both herself, husband and extended family.
Original post by Zamestaneh
Philosophically ponder and you will realise that science will never realistically explain where the Universe came from, even from (unsatisfactory) theories, and God is probable to exist; arrogant New Atheists feel that people use God as a miracle answer to the question of the universe, however it is the most logical answer, and based upon this, as much as it displeases many, religion actually makes sense and provides moral, social, psychological and spiritual order in people and society much to its benefit.
Many theists are too lazy to question their belief (to later affirm it), and many atheists are too lazy and too arrogant in their 'intellectual' superiority and belief of self-suffiency to consider that a God exists and sustains everything...
Having almost been atheist once, I understand how 'liberating' and 'logical' it feels; upon reflection it is just the lazy man's way of ignoring the question of fundemental origin.

Perhaps one day you will realise that your family are not just sheep in flock following the crowd, and realise that the liberal YOLO atheists are exactly what they accuse the religiously minded of being...

The "order" you believe Islam brings to society includes death by stoning as a punishment, as well as capital punishment for homosexuality and those who leave Islam. This isn't me transposing the harsher interpretations of Islam onto the poster, but the fact that this poster in particular has called for the use of stoning as a punishment, as well as the killing of homosexuals and apostates.

So don't be deceived by any softly spoken claims of peace and harmony that this poster claims Islam brings. This poster believes in the nastiest and most barbaric interpretations and implementations of Islam.
Original post by Muhammad Shehzar
An athiest is the one who does not believe in gods.. u r quite small now for making such a big decision. I would recommend u to understand the verses of Quraan.. & ask for guidance from Aalims(islamic scholars).. Th age at which u r now is the age of getting misleaded or u cant understand what is ri8 and what is wrong.. before doing anything just think of the AZAAB from Allah to the people who didnot follow Allah..

How horrible to use such threats against somebody you believe is so "small" and incapable of making "big decisions". Is this way Muslims exert discipline on the flock, by threatening and frightening those they believe are the most vulnerable?
Original post by Rat_Bag
How did you come to learn about in Islam?

Are you 100% sure that Islam is true?

How did you come to believe in Islam?

Right I'm guessing that your and atheist (correct me if I'm wrong) you asked me these questions but really the same goes to you. Like I said I choose what I want to believe and I believe that there is a God , God created the sun, moon, earth all the other planets, humans and all living things. I also believe that the earth and everything that came with it will come to an end. You keep talking about stupid evidence bs but no one is 100% sure about anything. With or with out evidence. I don't see the problem in what I believe in. Just like you all rely on 'evidence' to get around your everday lives , religious people rely on God. Is that so wrong ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rat_Bag
The "order" you believe Islam brings to society includes death by stoning as a punishment, as well as capital punishment for homosexuality and those who leave Islam. This isn't me transposing the harsher interpretations of Islam onto the poster, but the fact that this poster in particular has called for the use of stoning as a punishment, as well as the killing of homosexuals and apostates.

So don't be deceived by any softly spoken claims of peace and harmony that this poster claims Islam brings. This poster believes in the nastiest and most barbaric interpretations and implementations of Islam.

Post evidences that I called for the killing of homosexuals and apostates if you are truthful.

People can ignore this poster because he's TSR's resident Katie Hopkins who hated on a user with cancer just because they were Muslim and getting medication from the NHS.
Get out of my country and go back to wherever your homeland is.

If someone is legally allowed to live in this country, whether it's their homeland or not is irrelevant. Your ancestors, somewhere down the line, immigrated to England. They clearly didn't go back to their homeland, so we won't as well.

No. Get out. Britain is for white people.

White people whose ancestors immigrated here. Any other race immigrating here is doing as everyone else's ancestors did.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rat_Bag
How horrible to use such threats against somebody you believe is so "small" and incapable of making "big decisions". Is this way Muslims exert discipline on the flock, by threatening and frightening those they believe are the most vulnerable?

We dont make the statement from ourselves, infact it is clearly written in Quraan that everyone should fear from Allah either big or small.. & it also says to make people aware of his Azaab & now its the duty of muslims to spread the message of Allah.. Nothing can happen itself there is someone who provides us with food. No one can escape death.. is there anyone who had done this..??? because there is a life after death.. & everyone should pay & will be asked what they did in their lives..
Reply 175
Sad.
Right I'm guessing that your and atheist (correct me if I'm wrong) you asked me these questions but really the same goes to you. Like I said I choose what I want to believe and I believe that there is a God , God created the sun, moon, earth all the other planets, humans and all living things. I also believe that the earth and everything that came with it will come to an end. You keep talking about stupid evidence bs but no one is 100% sure about anything. With or with out evidence. I don't see the problem in what I believe in. Just like you all rely on 'evidence' to get around your everday lives , religious people rely on God. Is that so wrong ?

Based on what you wrote, are you therefore not 100% sure that Islam is correct?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Muhammad Shehzar
We dont make the statement from ourselves, infact it is clearly written in Quraan that everyone should fear from Allah either big or small.. & it also says to make people aware of his Azaab & now its the duty of muslims to spread the message of Allah.. Nothing can happen itself there is someone who provides us with food. No one can escape death.. is there anyone who had done this..??? because there is a life after death.. & everyone should pay & will be asked what they did in their lives..

Of course you make the statement from yourself, since you choose to type that statement into your keyboard and press enter to communicate it to the OP. It is a malicious thing to do to somebody you indicate is vulnerable because of their age.

If somebody chooses to print out hateful and threatening material from the BNP website and post it through the letterboxes of their Asian neighbours, it is solely that person who is responsible for the Asian neighbours receiving hateful and threatening material; they can't blame it on anybody else. Just as you cannot blame on anybody else the hateful and threatening message your wrote to the OP.
Original post by Rat_Bag
Based on what you wrote, are you therefore not 100% sure that Islam is correct?

wow it seems as if other peoples beliefs have a big affect on you :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
wow it seems as if other peoples beliefs have a big effect on you :frown:

Let's try again, are you not 100% sure that Islam is correct?

Latest

Trending

Trending