The Student Room Group

I have NO IDEA what I want in life.

I want a successful and respectable career, something I can look on and admire all the hard work it took to get there.This makes me think something along the lines of gaining a Phd, perhaps in History or English. Because I LOVE learning.

I have thought about a Law degree of a conversion course but that doesn't interest me really.

I want to travel a bit, learn some languages, live a good life, but I also want to come home to a career I'm proud of.

I have no idea what I want to study at university yet, I feel like if I do go and do History or English I am setting myself up for failure because other that the dreams of becoming a professor, there isn't much else I feel I could do with those degree's that gives me a that sense of respect for my career choice.

But I also understand no one really goes into university like "I'm going to become a professor" it's really not likely is it? :frown:

This is really getting me down!

Scroll to see replies

Try not to pursue something because it would be deemed respected and admirable. Pursue something that you think you may enjoy.
Reply 2
Original post by Emily.97
Try not to pursue something because it would be deemed respected and admirable. Pursue something that you think you may enjoy.

I have tried doing that but it doesn't work:frown: I want to make myself proud I suppose, I am not a snob but snobbery has infected my brain I know deep down and it limits my choices. But don't get me wrong, I want to pursue history or english but I only want to if it means I can gain something worthwhile out of doing it! I know that sounds awful, but I suppose I can't afford to waste £9000 a year for 3 years...
Reply 3
bump
Same!
bumppppppppp!!!!!!!!
Original post by Anonymous
bumppppppppp!!!!!!!!

Oh my god..look at when it was posted!!

Wander what career he/she ended up pursuing.. :smile:
Reply 7
well - try your bloody hardest at your A levels - aim for the high A*s (so that if you fall below that you won't fall lower than a B)

then take a gap year, work, save money, volunteer, travel, live - then after all those experiences in the real worl you'll have some idea of what you actually enjoyed doing - and then apply to do that

:smile:

Lol no it's still me! But I posted on my other account because it wouldn't let me post on the original one. First I thought I would play it off as 'anon 2' and then I realised the stupid date on the thread so now I can't actually post from the original account. What is going on TSRRRRR ? :frown:
Original post by z33
well - try your bloody hardest at your A levels - aim for the high A*s (so that if you fall below that you won't fall lower than a B)

then take a gap year, work, save money, volunteer, travel, live - then after all those experiences in the real worl you'll have some idea of what you actually enjoyed doing - and then apply to do that

:smile:

That sounds like the best plan really, I have already planned to take a gap year and to travel and stuff, I hope I find myself.

and they didn't have TSR in the 1970's :mmm:
Reply 11
That sounds like the best plan really, I have already planned to take a gap year and to travel and stuff, I hope I find myself.

i hope so too! and i'm sure you will :smile:

good luck :biggrin:
Original post by z33
i hope so too! and i'm sure you will :smile:

good luck :biggrin:

What is your plan? :smile:
Lol no it's still me! But I posted on my other account because it wouldn't let me post on the original one. First I thought I would play it off as 'anon 2' and then I realised the stupid date on the thread so now I can't actually post from the original account. What is going on TSRRRRR ? :frown:

Im confused..why does it say 1970?
Reply 14
What is your plan? :smile:

pharmacy hopefully!
but also taking a gap year because i'm not predicted high enough!
did they even have TSR in the 1970's lol
Im confused..why does it say 1970?

A bug or something. It happens quite a lot on TSR :smile:

Since your here, what's your plan for life?

I need inspiration! :tongue:
Original post by z33
pharmacy hopefully!
but also taking a gap year because i'm not predicted high enough!

That's nice! Atleast you're all sorted with your goals :smile:

What are your plans for your gap year?

Lol me with all my questions...I'm just very lost atm.
laid? you want to get laid?
Original post by TrojanH
laid? you want to get laid?

Well maybe that too... lol :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest