The Student Room Group

Chemistry question help

Hi, this question is in my textbook but there is no answer, and I'm unsure of how to do it:
0.327g of zinc powder was added to 55cm^3 og aqueous copper(II) sulfate at 22.8 degrees celsius. Th temperature rose to 32.3 degrees celsius. The copper sulfate was in excess. Find the enthalpy change of the reaction, show by the following equation
Zn+CuSO4->ZnSO4+Cu

I got the answer of 2.19703517 kj mol, so 2.197 kj mol. But i don't know if this is correct
Thank you
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by lozzie-xx
Hi, this question is in my textbook but there is no answer, and I'm unsure of how to do it:
0.327g of zinc powder was added to 55cm^3 og aqueous copper(II) sulfate at 22.8 degrees celsius. Th temperature rose to 32.3 degrees celsius. The copper sulfate was in excess. Find the enthalpy change of the reaction, show by the following equation
Zn+CuSO4->ZnSO4+Cu

I got the answer of 2.19703517 kj mol, so 2.197 kj mol. But i don't know if this is correct
Thank you

Find the actual energy released using E = -mcΔT = -0.055 x 4.18 x 9.5 (we assume that 1ml of solution has a mass of 1g)

Then divide this value by the number of moles of zinc used to get energy per mol.
Reply 3
Ohhh thank you so much! I understand now.
Original post by charco
Find the actual energy released using E = -mcΔT = -0.055 x 4.18 x 9.5 (we assume that 1ml of solution has a mass of 1g)

Then divide this value by the number of moles of zinc used to get energy per mol.

Quick Reply

Latest