The Student Room Group

Accidental offer from a uni?

Scroll to see replies

No, not ex-poly or UCLan.

It really isn't backed up by employers.
LSE sent me an email telling me that they had accepted me for Law. I did not apply to study Law =D This was after they rejected me too, the whole thing was just funny.
Reply 22
Original post by EloiseStar

I honestly don't care about league tables or reputation to be honest. I just want a high standard of teaching, and from comparing the statistics/surveys given by students, I think that Sheffield could offer me a higher standard of teaching. I'm not too fussed about reputation, and Oxbridge was out of the question anyway as they don't do the course I want to do and also I'm not made out of money.

Thank you for your advice though, it's nice to get different opinions on the subject :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by karakedi
LSE sent me an email telling me that they had accepted me for Law. I did not apply to study Law =D This was after they rejected me too, the whole thing was just funny.

Wow, that is a shambles! Sorry about your rejection. If they can't even process applications properly then it's probably for the best that you didn't get in there.
Kasienka ~ It was no big deal. If I were expecting an offer from that subject, I'd be sad but I knew it was a mistake the moment I saw the email. I hope you get in where you want. Sheffield seems like a really nice university, I heard they have good scholarship options?
Reply 25
Original post by karakedi
Kasienka ~ It was no big deal. If I were expecting an offer from that subject, I'd be sad but I knew it was a mistake the moment I saw the email. I hope you get in where you want. Sheffield seems like a really nice university, I heard they have good scholarship options?

Thanks! I already have an offer from Sheffield and as I'm a BTEC student I'm sure I'll get in. They do have good scholarship options for trips abroad which is quite interesting. Did you get into the university you wanted?
Original post by kasienka
I honestly don't care about league tables or reputation to be honest. I just want a high standard of teaching, and from comparing the statistics/surveys given by students, I think that Sheffield could offer me a higher standard of teaching. I'm not too fussed about reputation, and Oxbridge was out of the question anyway as they don't do the course I want to do and also I'm not made out of money.

Thank you for your advice though, it's nice to get different opinions on the subject :smile:

Yes, judging from the anecdotal evidence given by people who have attended both non RG Universities and RG Universities they always say the teaching is far superior at RG universities.

Nonsense, I have heard many a time that investment banking jobs in London only take undergraduates or graduates from certain universities. If that isn't proof enough its backed up by employers I don't know what is. I think it was Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE and Warwick.
Original post by kasienka
Thanks! I already have an offer from Sheffield and as I'm a BTEC student I'm sure I'll get in. They do have good scholarship options for trips abroad which is quite interesting. Did you get into the university you wanted?

I did, I am studying PPE in KCL. It is a great university ☺️ I am from Turkey and when I checked out Sheffield, they seemed to have a scholarship for every nationality, seriously. They seem really into supporting their students. I can't study abroad because PPE is too specific, you definitely should if you can.
OP, Don't listen to AngryRedhead. They're obviously angry about something... Probably went to a poly and now can't get a job... I don't know. Many posters have said it and I will say it again, employers care about universities - yes. However if you're not Oxbridge it's unlikely to make a difference. Who looks up league tables anyway?

Absolutely crap advice from Angry, other than the thing about moving away.

For the record, Sheffield is higher in league tables by about 60 points. Oxbridge or gtfo.

Yeah, the 20-year-old from Bangor Uni knows a lot about the RG job market and isn't biased at all.
Original post by callum_law
Yeah, the 20-year-old from Bangor Uni knows a lot about the RG job market and isn't biased at all.

Countless other posts say the same this as what I did.
You are right in terms of degrees like law and investment banking that employers 'target' these certain unis for graduates, however in other degrees it isnt quite like that, a first or high second in any uni would be good for most employers
(This is what i heard at an open day at a RG university)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BekahMay
You are right in terms of degrees like law and investment banking that employers 'target' these certain unis for graduates, however in other degrees it isnt quite like that, a first or high second in any uni would be good for most employers
(This is what i heard at an open day at a RG university)

Hmmm still wouldn't want to put myself or OP at a disadvantage in the job market though.
And the number of graduates in Korean Studies working in investment banking can probably be counted on the fingers of no hands.

If that isn't proof enough its backed up by employers I don't know what is. I think it was Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE and Warwick.

Only one of which, Oxford, offers a degree in Korean.
Of course not, im not entirely sure on graduate prospects for OPs degree but if there are jobs linked with it I honestly cant see too much competition for jobs
I do have a friend who went to Sheffield though, she loved it there
Original post by callum_law

What do you know about the market for Korean linguists?

Probably about as much as me!
Just because a place is an ex-poly does not necessarily make it bad.

Employers certainly do not rank degrees by 'university prestige'. That's just nonsense.
Original post by marco14196
Asia Pacific Studies? That's some kind of joke isn't it.

Its a Korean language and culture course. At Oxford it is called Oriental Studies, at SOAS it is called Korean, at Sheffield it is called Korean Studies and at UCLan it is called Asia Pacific Studies.

That is your lot.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
Its a Korean language and culture course. At Oxford it is called Oriental Studies, at SOAS it is called Korean, at Sheffield it is called Korean Studies and at UCLan it is called Asia Pacific Studies.

That is your lot.

Eh I suppose it may be useful if you wanted to be a translator of documentation or for some South Korean officials otherwise its use is extremely narrow at best because only one country practices it as a language(contrary to popular belief, South and North Korea both use different variations of the base language). Good luck I guess, that would have been a useful degree if it was combined with something more useful like an Engineering course
Original post by marco14196
Eh I suppose it may be useful if you wanted to be a translator of documentation or for some South Korean officials otherwise its use is extremely narrow at best because only one country practices it as a language(contrary to popular belief, South and North Korea both use different variations of the base language). Good luck I guess, that would have been a useful degree if it was combined with something more useful like an Engineering course

The stats appear to show very high levels of employability, but as is often the case with language courses, relatively low starting salaries.

Most unusual languages have greater demand than supply of graduates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending