The Student Room Group

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheMaster102
The OP is pathetic IMO and I really do say that with love because he needs to slap in the face.

He has a computer science degree and works in a supermarket now. That's ****ing tragic.

I'm a 2:2 grad in CS and I'm earning a 28k STARTING salary as a computer programmer.

It's honestly about you, not the degree. I freaked out reading all these 2:2 posts in TSR, truth is outside of the small student bubble these things matter a lot less. I earn more than the national average! yet, i have a 2:2.

Just goes to show. If you're smart you will succeed, not everyone can get a 2:1 (I was in a band and had a blast at uni, but I also suffered from mental health problems which resulted in my 2:2) I emerged from this strong, and I know I am smart, and a great computer programmer, this saved me and this is what landed me the job ultimately,

my degree was not once mentioned in interview, and bear in mind i work in london in a top gaming firm making apps so not too shabby!

Not entirely true. It's definitely a lot harder to get a job as a 2:2 because a) Headhunters vary rarely look at 2:2s, the screening process for CVs at many reasonably sized company's omit 2:2's automatically. So there before your CV even sees the eyes of someone who is technically minded you may never have gotten your chance.

For pure graduates, I've never even looked at a 2:2 because HR and the high ups say I shouldn't as part of business policy. Once he has a job and a career going though, nobody will even ask your degree nevermind classification.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Guess it's graduates just saturating the job market.
Original post by Mega0448
And a 2:1 does impress? That's says you didn't average over 69% over the course of your degree. And that 69% is the best it could be, it could be 61%.

Not being funny but 69% doesn't exactly impress does it?

lol you speak as if a degree is easy,a 2.1 isn't impressive per say but it certainly is applaudable to most.
Original post by chosenone93
lol you speak as if a degree is easy,a 2.1 isn't impressive per say but it certainly is applaudable to most.

Personably I commend anyone who has completed a degree.

What I was saying in my previous post was aimed specifically at the person I quoted and their very condescending attitude. The difference in marks between a 2:1 and a 2:2 is very minimal when you look at in the bigger picture.
Personably I commend anyone who has completed a degree.

What I was saying in my previous post was aimed specifically at the person I quoted and their very condescending attitude. The difference in marks between a 2:1 and a 2:2 is very minimal when you look at in the bigger picture.

employers could care less and their opinion is really all that matters (after you graduate)
employers could care less and their opinion is really all that matters (after you graduate)

If you want to get on one of the perceived top graduate schemes then that is true. However there are plenty of other routes to take that'll get you there in the long run.

I know plenty of people who got a 2:2, myself included, who are all on £30k and above. My friend who earns £65k a year didn't even go to Uni and doesn't really have any qualifications apart from a couple A Levels I think.
If you want to get on one of the perceived top graduate schemes then that is true. However there are plenty of other routes to take that'll get you there in the long run.

I know plenty of people who got a 2:2, myself included, who are all on £30k and above. My friend who earns £65k a year didn't even go to Uni and doesn't really have any qualifications apart from a couple A Levels I think.

Nobody is doubting this, I know a 2:2 in maths on a really good salary and I'm sure there are loads. Even people without degrees. A degree however does get you into a career faster and often pays more. A 2:2 causes a lot of pain after graduation because most employers pretty much say "2:1 and above" for new graduates.

The 2:2 route is to get low paid experience for a bit, then work your way up to the top. The 2:2 dude had a ton of ****ty jobs before he eventually struck it good.
I aint got a job, I have a bad degree and little experience. I got interview soon hopefully I can get one soon
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Meh.. I was a 2.1 graduate who couldn't get a minimum wage job. It's how it works, unless you have family in high places. Just gotta wait it out and eventually something will come along.

What did you graduate in and what uni did you go to?
Original post by MUN123
But getting a degree in Computer science was very hard, I spent a lot of time coding in to the late hours whilst my friends from other degrees partied all night

And just because you worked hard in your degree, that doesn't mean you can sit back and wait for stuff to come to you ... Life is one big grind mate, you need to get out there and work a crappy job for a while
Original post by ron_trns
Nobody is doubting this, I know a 2:2 in maths on a really good salary and I'm sure there are loads. Even people without degrees. A degree however does get you into a career faster and often pays more. A 2:2 causes a lot of pain after graduation because most employers pretty much say "2:1 and above" for new graduates.

The 2:2 route is to get low paid experience for a bit, then work your way up to the top. The 2:2 dude had a ton of ****ty jobs before he eventually struck it good.

I agree completely with you. It's a saturated market so employers can be picky and if you don't get at least a 2:1 you're making life difficult for yourself. And again, even with a 2:1 it isn't easy.

I only got involved in this thread because of someone's attitude towards people who get 2:2s and should apparently be cleaners.
My Cousins both got 2:2 in Economics and CS and not RG Uni's yet they're on 35-38k now after 3 years... Very much about the individual and quality of degree
You could apply to a random Masters degree, they do take 2:2's
I'm worried as I'm on the 2:1/2:2 borderline graduating with a masters in physics at a top 5 uni :s
Computer Science is that degree where experience > degree classification.
If you attended loads of hackathons and/or had loads of projects you did in your free time, you could've built an amazing portfolio which in turn would increase your chances GREATLY...

The university you go to has little effect, though I mustn't lie that a CS degree in London could potentially land you a job quicker than say you were in... Leeds?
Though again, the effect of the university is minimal..
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by edothero
Computer Science is that degree where experience > degree classification.
If you attended loads of hackathons and/or had loads of projects you did in your free time, you could've built an amazing portfolio which in turn would increase your chances GREATLY...

The university you go to has little effect, though I mustn't lie that a CS degree in London could potentially land you a job quicker than say you were in... Leeds?
Though again, the effect of the university is minimal..

This^
I don't doubt that this does happen (people with degrees not getting jobs) but I am always bemused at people saying they got a 2.1 or 2.2 and can't get a minimum wage job. I don't know ANYONE, from either my high school or my uni, who hasn't got at least some kind of job with a degree. I don't actually know anyone at all who is struggling to even get a minimum wage job.

I don't think it's because you got a 2.2 that you can't get a minimum wage job. If you can't even get a minimum wage job there's something wrong with either your application forms or your interview. I recruited tonnes of people with 2.2s in my first recruitment job, it's not that much of a barrier and if you're not applying for graduate jobs anyway then they really don't care that you even have a degree. I think people are so quick to just sit back and blame their 2.2 for not being able to get a job or having the attitude of the OP 'I'm above doing work experience that might actually lead to a job which could then lead me to another job' which is why you're not getting the jobs. I'm also guessing that if you can't get a minimum wage job you probably haven't had a part time retail job or anything through uni? Which is obviously going to hold you back, more so than having a 2.2. I got my first admin job because my manager saw that I had worked for Waitrose and John Lewis which is a respected employer known for high quality customer service, not because I had a 2.1 - my first job wasn't even a graduate job! It's not that difficult. Stop blaming your 2.2, sort out your attitude, get someone to check your application forms and work on your interview technique.
(edited 8 years ago)

Exactly true in most cases. You can't even expect to get a job straight away after graduation.
Original post by IIEquinoxII
And just because you worked hard in your degree, that doesn't mean you can sit back and wait for stuff to come to you ... Life is one big grind mate, you need to get out there and work a crappy job for a while

In other words no-one will knock on your door offering you that perfect job that you've always dreamed about getting.
Original post by Princepieman
This^

You know that the ratio of living costs to salary is often worse in London than in other UK cities (correct if wrong!). Knowing this, do you still it is a good idea to start your career in London or would it be okay to start in any other reasonably big city (say Manchester, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Bristol, etc)? I am talking about software development, btw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending