The Student Room Group

I do not understand Religions stance on sex?!

You can not have sex before marriage but God has given everyone sexual desires who they have to endure.

Does not make sense to me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
thats why marriage is prescribed. you can get married and have sex with your wife as much as you want and that's perfectly okay. you don't have to fight your sexual desires, in fact it's impossible for most men to fight their desires because men desire sex very strongly, there's no way to abstain from sex, so the right thing to do (the only right thing to do) is marry a woman and have sex with her as much as you need
Original post by Kurupt
thats why marriage is prescribed. you can get married and have sex with your wife as much as you want and that's perfectly okay. you don't have to fight your sexual desires, in fact it's impossible for most men to fight their desires because men desire sex very strongly, there's no way to abstain from sex, so the right thing to do (the only right thing to do) is marry a woman and have sex with her as much as you need

women is not a toy... use her as much as u want
women have their own feelings
whenever u want to have sex u just gonna make her do.. don't we have our own wishes of what we wanna do
GOSH... men needs to control their desires :angry:
Original post by Kurupt

You do realise that a wife and a sex doll aren't the same thing, right?

Jeez, "have sex with her as much as you need" - as if she's constantly going to have to be up for sex whenever you 'need' it.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
You can not have sex before marriage but God has given everyone sexual desires who they have to endure.

The thread title says 'religons stance on sex', but I think you mean Christianity specifically? The bible talks about how God made people and made the way they reproduce (sex). You'll remember he looked at his creation and said that it was 'good'. He made all the processes that make it enjoyable. You'll also remember that Adam and Eve were completely naked yet not ashamed. God designed them to be attracted to each other. They were married etc.

So the problem is that sex as God planned it has been tainted. The bible shows how he didn't want it outside of marriage, he only planned for it to be between members of the opposite sex, and with humans. The bible also talks about how sex is more meaningful and has more of an impact than our current society believes, saying things like 'Flee fornication. Every sin that a man does is without the body; but he that committs fornication sins against his own body' and 'he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body.'

You also seem to be asking the question, why does God criticise people for doing things he made them desire to do?

Well again, according to the bible God had a plan, and it has been tainted. It was tainted by sin. You'll remember, Adam and Eve sinned first. Then that caused suffering and death to enter the world. Now, every human is 'born in sin', and it became human nature to desire wrong things and commit sins.

But then the bible also talks about Jesus. He gives people hope, freeing them from sin. It also talks about the holy spirit, transforming people, 'through the renewal of the mind.' You can read a gospel for some more info. You're also welcome to ask questions.

Original post by Kurupt
thats why marriage is prescribed. you can get married and have sex with your wife as much as you want and that's perfectly okay. you don't have to fight your sexual desires, in fact it's impossible for most men to fight their desires because men desire sex very strongly, there's no way to abstain from sex,

ok this is simply wrong. It's a choice. People can abstain. That's not to say that it's easy. But it's possible. According to the bible, with God all things are possible.

so the right thing to do (the only right thing to do) is marry a woman and have sex with her as much as you need

nobody needs to have sex, although I see what you mean... I just think it's not a good idea to rush into a lifelong commitment like marriage just because you want to have regular sex with someone but you don't want to disobey God while doing it. You would be disobeying God if you divorced because you got married too soon.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by fatima1998
whenever u want to have sex u just gonna make her do.. don't we have our own wishes of what we wanna do

never said woman is a toy
a wife should be kind to her husband and give him sex, in return he gives her commitment, loyalty, love, money, food, clothes etc. Sex is extremely important to men, you can't tell a man to control his sexual desires, that's ridiculous. My girl understands this so she gives me sex as much as is physically possible for her because she understands how important it is to me, even if she's not in the mood she'll still have sex because I want it.

there should be an understanding between a man and a woman before they get married. it's not like she must do it, it would just be really nice if she did that for her husband. I don't think we ask for much, we just want sex from her (of course she doesn't have to do it if she doesn't want)
Original post by Kurupt
never said woman is a toy
a wife should be kind to her husband and give him sex, in return he gives her commitment, loyalty, love, money, food, clothes etc. Sex is extremely important to men, you can't tell a man to control his sexual desires, that's ridiculous. My girl understands this so she gives me sex as much as is physically possible for her because she understands how important it is to me, even if she's not in the mood she'll still have sex because I want it.

there should be an understanding between a man and a woman before they get married. it's not like she must do it, it would just be really nice if she did that for her husband. I don't think we ask for much, we just want sex from her (of course she doesn't have to do it if she doesn't want)

women r more loyal and loving... and women makes food for the husband even if he buy food... women is the one who make it delicious... and nowadays women also do the job and buy clothes by herself... n I cannot believe u saying SEX is extremely important to men... not what a Women did for husband... leave her home and live with ur family...
n I would never ever have sex before marriage coz I cannot trust men's desires... what if a girl isn't in a mood and bf blackmailing her 'if u don't have it then I will ditch u' and any men can ditch their GF only coz they are tired of her....SEX is not everything in life, many things r much important than that
Reply 7
women r more loyal and loving... and women makes food for the husband even if he buy food... women is the one who make it delicious... and nowadays women also do the job and buy clothes by herself... n I cannot believe u saying SEX is extremely important to men... not what a Women did for husband... leave her home and live with ur family...
n I would never ever have sex before marriage coz I cannot trust men's desires... what if a girl isn't in a mood and bf blackmailing her 'if u don't have it then I will ditch u' and any men can ditch their GF only coz they are tired of her....SEX is not everything in life, many things r much important than that

fair points

i can't say one is more loyal or loving than the other, it depends on the person, it's not related to gender

the problem with women is that you UNDERESTIMATE just how extremely important sex is to a man. Let me explain. Of course we value your loyalty, we demand your loyalty. Woman thinks men just wants her for sex, thinks that's all he's interested in, thinks he just wants her body. That's not the case though. Men can't help it, our sexual desire is extremely strong. Sex is extremely important for men. That's what you have to understand. That's the one thing we value more than anything. Everything else, you can get it from elsewhere. Your mother, father, siblings, friends...they can provide you with friendship, support, repsect, love. Only a good loving wife can provide you with sex, which is the biggest thing that a man needs (it's true). Well...preferably a wife, girlfriends are a bad idea and I don't support that concept. Believe me when I tell you that there's absolutely nothing a man values more highly than sex when it comes to what he needs from his wife. Women value the services that a man can provide for them. they want loyalty, dedication, commitment, emotional support, communication, good (fun) companionship. They want a man who can spend money on them. Unfortunately for men, a large proportion of our cardiac output is diverted to our external genitalia which means that we're very basic, all we need from a woman is sex all the time, loyalty and a little bit of appreciation and for her to be in a good mood, that's it. A husband must serve his wife and in return, the wife should also be kind and give him sex whenever he needs it
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kurupt
fair points

i can't say one is more loyal or loving than the other, it depends on the person, it's not related to gender

the problem with women is that you UNDERESTIMATE just how extremely important sex is to a man. Let me explain. Of course we value your loyalty, we demand your loyalty. Woman thinks men just wants her for sex, thinks that's all he's interested in, thinks he just wants her body. That's not the case though. Men can't help it, our sexual desire is extremely strong. Sex is extremely important for men. That's what you have to understand. That's the one thing we value more than anything. Everything else, you can get it from elsewhere. Your mother, father, siblings, friends...they can provide you with friendship, support, repsect, love. Only a good loving wife can provide you with sex, which is the biggest thing that a man needs (it's true). Well...preferably a wife, girlfriends are a bad idea and I don't support that concept. Believe me when I tell you that there's absolutely nothing a man values more highly than sex when it comes to what he needs from his wife. Women value the services that a man can provide for them. they want loyalty, dedication, commitment, emotional support, communication, good (fun) companionship. They want a man who can spend money on them. Unfortunately for men, a large proportion of our cardiac output is diverted to our external genitalia which means that we're very basic, all we need from a woman is sex all the time, loyalty and a little bit of appreciation and for her to be in a good mood, that's it. A husband must serve his wife and in return, the wife should also be kind and give him sex whenever he needs it

haha ALL THE TIME WOWWW... u really want a women toy
u cannot compare sex and the 5 hierarchy of needs.... n if someone asks me to have sex whenever they want, i would never do it even if he says ' i buy u clothes or blah blah...' coz i can buy them tooo.... every woman try to find an image of her father in her husband that can protect her, respect her, understands her and many more...

Sadly, many major religious texts, including the Bible, view wives exactly like that, and condone marital rape. Luckily, most people in our society ignore these evil teachings, and know right from wrong.
Makes perfect sense. the desire is part of finding a life long partner and in maintaining that relationship - a life long commitment.

Just because you have the ability to do something, does not mean you have to do it. just because you want to do something, does not mean you need it.

The discipline to maintain that "purity" means you will be better suited (patient, loving, willing, dedicated) to marry. Especially when our emotions can be so blinding, that we make the wrong decisions.
Original post by Mankytoes
Sadly, many major religious texts, including the Bible, view wives exactly like that, and condone marital rape. Luckily, most people in our society ignore these evil teachings, and know right from wrong.

Perhaps there is a passage in the Bible you may direct me to that supports your idea?
marriage is quite an outdated tradition in my opinion. But I feel like it should be in "God's" interest to not prohibit sex outside of marriage. Like wouldn't procreation generally be more efficient without the whole marriage barrier.
Because religion is stupid, don't even bother thinking any of it should be understood.
Original post by Kurupt
fair points

I'll dissect this later. but all of this. the entire thing, is a lie. do not speak for me you are sick

for any woman who reads the above quote, disregard everything. only know, to test a male's mind to make sure he does not think this way.
Original post by da_nolo
I'll dissect this later. but all of this. the entire thing, is a lie. do not speak for me you are sick

for any woman who reads the above quote, disregard everything. only know, to test a male's mind to make sure he does not think this way.

don't worry - not thick enough to believe any of that
Reply 16

Not everyone has sexual desires.
Original post by da_nolo
Perhaps there is a passage in the Bible you may direct me to that supports your idea?

Of course-
Corinthians 7:3-4
The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.

And I'm afraid it only gets worse-
Numbers 31:15-18
“Have you allowed all the women to live?” he [Moses] asked them. “They were the ones who followed Balaam’s advice and enticed the Israelites to be unfaithful to the Lord in the Peor incident, so that a plague struck the Lord’s people. Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

And worst of all-
Deuteronomy 22:28-29
If a man finds a girl who is a virgin, who is not engaged, and seizes her and lies with her and they are discovered, then the man who lay with her shall give to the girl's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall become his wife because he has violated her; he cannot divorce her all his days.

Dawkins is good, Hitchens is better, but nothing puts you off Christianity like actually reading the Bible.
Thank you for your efforts. I am studying the Bible and its meaning.
Original post by Mankytoes
Of course-
Corinthians 7:3-4
The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.

This is why it is important to research.

2Corinthians 7:1-10
1 As for the questions raised in your letter; a man does well to abstain from all commerce with women. 2 But, to avoid the danger of fornication, let every man keep his own wife, and every woman her own husband. 3 Let every man give his wife what is her due, and every woman do the same by her husband; 4 he, not she, claims the right over her body, as she, not he, claims the right over his. 5 Do not starve one another, unless perhaps you do so for a time, by mutual consent, to have more freedom for prayer; come together again, or Satan will tempt you, weak as you are. 6 I say this by way of concession; I am not imposing a rule on you. 7 I wish you were all in the same state as myself; but each of us has his own endowment from God, one to live in this way, another in that. 8 To the unmarried, and to the widows, I would say that they will do well to remain in the same state as myself, 9 but if they have not the gift of continence, let them marry; better to marry than to feel the heat of passion. 10 For those who have married already, the precept holds which is the Lord’s precept, not mine; the wife is not to leave her husband,[1] 11 (if she has left him, she must either remain unmarried, or go back to her own husband again), and the husband is not to put away his wife.
After considering the actual passage and the paragraph it resides, it is not as you say
Corinthians
Instead, it is the opposite. For a mutual respect and recognition of dignity.
Numbers 31:15-18
“Have you allowed all the women to live?” he [Moses] asked them. “They were the ones who followed Balaam’s advice and enticed the Israelites to be unfaithful to the Lord in the Peor incident, so that a plague struck the Lord’s people. Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Just a quick read of provided paragraph, Balaam sticks out like a sore thumb. It appears various individuals worshiped a god that was not theirs and went out to kill others under that god's command. Not under the command of Moses. However, even this chapter is written different. Furthermore I do not see the connection as to how what appears to be war is connected to how a wife and husband should interact. For this, I will present a link for others to see what I have read, but also identify that there are many aspects about this chapter that needs to be studied.

It appears this passage refers to a war between Israel (nation) and the Madianites in which the word vengeance is used to describe actions taken along with commands to "purify" which to me makes it seem that the actions that were taken had tainted the people (& things). If this is accurate than the actions taken were not supposed to transpire or may have been desperate acts - as well as the Madianites were once allies or at least been peaceful. More studying would have to be done.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29
If a man finds a girl who is a virgin, who is not engaged, and seizes her and lies with her and they are discovered, then the man who lay with her shall give to the girl's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall become his wife because he has violated her; he cannot divorce her all his days.

OR
Deuteronomy
....25did the man fall in with this betrothed maid in the countryside, and force her to grant his will? Then he alone must die; no harm shall befall the woman.....
28 If a man falls in with a maid still unbetrothed, and forces her to do his will, and the matter is brought to judgement, 29 the man who mated with her must pay her fifty sicles of silver, and keep her as his wife, now that he has robbed her of her maidenhood; as long as he lives he may not put her away.

This is excellent example as to how hard it is to actually understand the bible. it is one thing to read it, it is completely different to understand it. Part of that reason is the different versions. the other is how easy it is to just read it and accept it at first glance. however, the Bible does not work that way. the bible is way more complex than that. This is one book I am in constant study where as I must read it over more than once. Thus far, there is a note that some laws are not that of God but man's attempt to develop social laws based on God's law.

Quick comparison between above quoted passages express that the man does not get his way of the woman, but may actually be killed. The man owes the woman and must treat her as a wife; in dignity and respect. However, as stated above, there needs to be more research to explain Deuteronomy as it is diverse and long. Parts of one paragraph may refer to another chapter or book - and may be connected to other laws that better explain this one. I'll be sure to update on this paragraph as it requires more study.
Original post by da_nolo
Thank you for your efforts. I am studying the Bible and its meaning.
This is why it is important to research.

After considering the actual passage and the paragraph it resides, it is not as you say
Corinthians
Instead, it is the opposite. For a mutual respect and recognition of dignity.

Furthermore I do not see the connection as to how what appears to be war is connected to how a wife and husband should interact.

This is excellent example as to how hard it is to actually understand the bible. it is one thing to read it, it is completely different to understand it. Part of that reason is the different versions. the other is how easy it is to just read it and accept it at first glance. however, the Bible does not work that way. the bible is way more complex than that. This is one book I am in constant study where as I must read it over more than once. Thus far, there is a note that some laws are not that of God but man's attempt to develop social laws based on God's law.

Quick comparison between above quoted passages express that the man does not get his way of the woman, but may actually be killed. The man owes the woman and must treat her as a wife; in dignity and respect. However, as stated above, there needs to be more research to explain Deuteronomy as it is diverse and long. Parts of one paragraph may refer to another chapter or book - and may be connected to other laws that better explain this one. I'll be sure to update on this paragraph as it requires more study.

Well it says the wife also has the right to rape/sexually abuse the husband, the opposite of "mutual respect" to me.

I was just showing you how the Bible condones even more evil things than marital rape (taking sex slaves).

I don't think your excert really makes it any more acceptable. It's saying if a woman belongs to another man, you can't rape her. If she doesn't, you can. I don't know if you're male or female, I'm a guy, but ****ing hell, I have a mother, sisters, a girlfriend... I don't even want to entertain this sick view of women, as property. I can hardly think of anything more sick than marrying a rapist to a rape victim, so he can rape her forever. It would be a greater mercy to put the poor girl to death. I know some people hate women, but it's hard to imagine hating them that much. It's worrying to me that so many people want to try and excuse this. I know it's hard to turn away from the religion you are raised with, but you have to have some morality. Certainly, this is a God unworthy of worship, on this one ruling alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending