The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by james3254
I got an email from Kings (3 days ago) asking for the LNAT ID the same, and i asked if my application hadnt linked properly etc but they said it was just to make sure they had everyone's in case there were any issues.

Also, according the the LNAT website, the first batch of results have only gone out recently to the universities for early test takers -

"Starting on 21 October, the first batch of LNAT scores (tests taken between 1 September to 20 October) are released to the universities. After that date, within 24 hours of finishing your LNAT, Pearson VUE will make your LNAT score and essay available to your chosen university or universities. They will see your score before you do."

So i wouldn't worry about it as they may have only just received the results anyway, and besides, if your other LNAT unis haven't asked i think it'll be fine :smile:

Kings and Bristol sent those emails to everyone but I was a bit worried that Oxford wouldn't have mine so I phoned and they did, so I'm sure it'll be fine!
Original post by Nancy97
Does anyone know whether international applicants should submit original written work (in mother tongue) along with English translation? :biggrin:

I am not 100% sure ( I don't have to submit written work) but I am quite sure that I read that it should be done this way :smile:
Original post by scblx
I am not 100% sure ( I don't have to submit written work) but I am quite sure that I read that it should be done this way :smile:

Well, I also read (on Oxford's website) that it should be done that way BUT it is not mentioned in the section for my chosen course (Oriental languages), so I do not know if it is already known that we should include original work in mother tongue or my course does not need that...
PLEASE, SOMEONE WHO KNOWS, PLEASE ANSWER *crying* :frown:
Okay I'm freaking out also. British student, but wondering what actually can be submitted to Oxford for written work?! I have read the website (i.e. no creative writing etc.) but not sure whether the piece I had planned fits the bill? Any assistance from anyone in the know? THANK YOU!! :smile:
Original post by Kaddy_Dee
Good luck to everyone doing the ELAT. May the odds be ever in your favour. :shakehand:

Original post by Nancy97
Well, I also read (on Oxford's website) that it should be done that way BUT it is not mentioned in the section for my chosen course (Oriental languages), so I do not know if it is already known that we should include original work in mother tongue or my course does not need that...
PLEASE, SOMEONE WHO KNOWS, PLEASE ANSWER *crying* :frown:
Original post by waywithwords
Okay I'm freaking out also. British student, but wondering what actually can be submitted to Oxford for written work?! I have read the website (i.e. no creative writing etc.) but not sure whether the piece I had planned fits the bill? Any assistance from anyone in the know? THANK YOU!! :smile:

Have you read this: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/written-work
Also, check requirements for your course here:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing
That is how I decided what I am going to submit for my course. :biggrin:
Yes, thank you, I have, and I'm pretty sure mine is okay, but can't help but panic about these things!!
Original post by Nancy97
Have you read this: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/written-work
Also, check requirements for your course here:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing
That is how I decided what I am going to submit for my course. :biggrin:
Yes, thank you, I have, and I'm pretty sure mine is okay, but can't help but panic about these things!!

Same here, I am afraid whether translation to English will distort the spirit of my mother tongue and metaphorical language I used in my works (both are school works but are different subjects).
All I can say is not to panic, panic after you have sent written work, we now don't have time for that, right? :biggrin: Humor is always welcomed. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
I guess so! I'm usually meticulous about this kind of thing so I can't help but worry I suppose, but you're absolutely right! It's great to see international students applying - All the best for your application and I hope the written work gets sorted out for you! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Original post by Nancy97
Same here, I am afraid whether translation to English will distort the spirit of my mother tongue and metaphorical language I used in my works (both are school works but are different subjects).
All I can say is not to panic, panic after you have sent written work, we now don't have time for that, right? :biggrin: Humor is always welcomed. :biggrin:
I guess so! I'm usually meticulous about this kind of thing so I can't help but worry I suppose, but you're absolutely right! It's great to see international students applying - All the best for your application and I hope the written work gets sorted out for you! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Agreed, we are similar when it comes to details: we want everything to be perfect so that we don't worry about them later. :biggrin:
Well, it is great, but it also difficult for us to keep up with the British standards and different educational system, you know, but I'm not planning to give up!
And thank you very much, I wish you the same! :biggrin:
What course did you apply for, if I may ask? :biggrin:
Exactly that! Good for you, if you want something just go for it! That's exactly what I'm doing even though I don't exactly fit the "stereotypical Oxford profile" :tongue: Thank you! I applied to English Language and Literature at Brasenose. What college did you select, if any? :biggrin:

Original post by Nancy97
Agreed, we are similar when it comes to details: we want everything to be perfect so that we don't worry about them later. :biggrin:
Well, it is great, but it also difficult for us to keep up with the British standards and different educational system, you know, but I'm not planning to give up!
And thank you very much, I wish you the same! :biggrin:
What course did you apply for, if I may ask? :biggrin:
Exactly that! Good for you, if you want something just go for it! That's exactly what I'm doing even though I don't exactly fit the "stereotypical Oxford profile" :tongue: Thank you! I applied to English Language and Literature at Brasenose. What college did you select, if any? :biggrin:

True, persistence always pays off. :P
Nah, I also claim that I'm not good enough for Oxford, but I have nothing to lose If I try. :biggrin:
English is very competitive, you should be proud of yourself for applying for this course, you know that? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I applied for the Chinese language, at least we can understand one another since we both applied for language courses. :biggrin:
Original post by MouseyBrown
Kind of....I was happy with my past papers but I'm a bit worried about must getting a ****ty question two and so I'm going over all my AS stuff. But don't know if I should go over absolutely everything, or just focus certain bits of each unit. Like any past paper I basically could have answered with collectivization or Attlee's labor......so don't know if I should I bother cramming all of post war British history.

I think knowing fairly short period inside out mean you can apply them to any question. But a tricky question could ruin that theory!

I did the HAT and finished prelims with a high 2:1. Trust me, the questions are designed to be very open ended to encourage candidates to approach them with some imagination. It would be pointless to set a question that only 60 or 70% of students can answer. It's an aptitude test after all - everyone should be able to do it... It's the way in which you approach the test that is going to differentiate you from the rest of the cohort.

The HAT essay question is VERY similar to a prelim question, and marked to the same standard.
Haha! Thanks, I'm trying to quell my fears about Oxford and just jump right in! That's amazing! Sounds as if it will be a really amazing degree course!! :biggrin:

Original post by Nancy97
True, persistence always pays off. :P
Nah, I also claim that I'm not good enough for Oxford, but I have nothing to lose If I try. :biggrin:
English is very competitive, you should be proud of yourself for applying for this course, you know that? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I applied for the Chinese language, at least we can understand one another since we both applied for language courses. :biggrin:
Haha! Thanks, I'm trying to quell my fears about Oxford and just jump right in! That's amazing! Sounds as if it will be a really amazing degree course!! :biggrin:

I completely understand you, I'm facing the same issues, but don't let fear be a obstacle in your plan and stop you in achieving your dream! That's how I think when my confidence is low at times.
It will be amazing indeed, I'm in love with this language!! :biggrin:
You seem to be a really amazing, 'go-getter' kind of person! We can share the same sentiments, I am in love with English! :biggrin:

Original post by Nancy97
I completely understand you, I'm facing the same issues, but don't let fear be a obstacle in your plan and stop you in achieving your dream! That's how I think when my confidence is low at times.
It will be amazing indeed, I'm in love with this language!! :biggrin:
You seem to be a really amazing, 'go-getter' kind of person! We can share the same sentiments, I am in love with English! :biggrin:

Hahahah, thank you, I'm going to blush! :colondollar: But really, just don't let your willingness and determination fade no matter what! I was determined to study at Oxford since I was around 12, so of course we are in love with our courses!! I hope we will meet at the interview if we get shortlisted! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
OMG me too! :colondollar: we are very similar! That would be an amazing coincidence wouldn't it?! All the very best for your process!

Original post by Nancy97
Hahahah, thank you, I'm going to blush! :colondollar: But really, just don't let your willingness and determination fade no matter what! I was determined to study at Oxford since I was around 12, so of course we are in love with our courses!! I hope we will meet at the interview if we get shortlisted! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
OMG me too! :colondollar: we are very similar! That would be an amazing coincidence wouldn't it?! All the very best for your process!

Yes, we are, it's amazing to see someone so enthusiastic about their course!!
Yes, it would, I would meet some amazing people on Oxford, and I'm looking forward to that!! :biggrin:
I wish you the same, go for it! :biggrin:
Original post by colourtheory
I did the HAT and finished prelims with a high 2:1. Trust me, the questions are designed to be very open ended to encourage candidates to approach them with some imagination. It would be pointless to set a question that only 60 or 70% of students can answer. It's an aptitude test after all - everyone should be able to do it... It's the way in which you approach the test that is going to differentiate you from the rest of the cohort.

The HAT essay question is VERY similar to a prelim question, and marked to the same standard.

Thanks.

It's just a couple of the really old past papers that worry me...but since they have changed the format slightly the essay questions seem nicer.
Soo nervous lmao think I'm going to stop looking over my HAT stuff bc it's making me question life

Latest

Trending

Trending